• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making the frame purdy

I broke a M10 drill bit into the port hole when trying to tap the hole for the ACOS spacers...FML!

How would I go about getting this out? Drill it? If so what # bit should I use? I am concerned that if I use too large of a bit, I may run the risk of messing up the threads and won't be able to re-tap...How do I fix this and do it right?...because if I dont I will have to cut and weld a new bump stop tube thing...and I dont have the time or $ for that at the moment.
How much if any is sticking out? How thick is the material?

^ this. That is going to dictate how you can attack the situation. If enough protrudes you can try grabbing it with pliers and reversing it out. If not enough to grab, you can try super gluing/epoxying an extension on to try and reverse it out. You can try expanding the material around it with heat and pulling it out. What is the bit made of? It may be able to be struck and shattered like a stuck tap.

^ this. That is going to dictate how you can attack the situation. If enough protrudes you can try grabbing it with pliers and reversing it out. If not enough to grab, you can try super gluing/epoxying an extension on to try and reverse it out. You can try expanding the material around it with heat and pulling it out. What is the bit made of? It may be able to be struck and shattered like a stuck tap.
There is nothing sicking out. Maybe .5mm of 1/4 of initial material. Just a tiny nub. lol

I went in there with some needle nose and try to use that small little piece on the lip as leverage to unscrew it. There seems to be playing there, but I can’t keep the rotation consistent.

I’ll take a picture of it in a few minutes and posted.

I was doing some research and found a couple of different tools that may work.

I found this cool tools that looks like they may work in this application.

https://www.waltontools.com/how-to-remove-broken-taps/

Tap extractor

Temo Broken Tap extractor

Usually I would just go to town on it and drill it out with a normal vent. But this is something that I need to do right the first time as it’s very delicate. If I don’t get it right, I’m gonna have to cut that two bath and re-weld one. Which I can’t do at this time. So it’s so crucial that I get this right.

Anyways, today, I start painting with the RP- 342!

Today is the only day I have with the nice weather and no rain so I got up early.

Those are tap extractors and you stated it was 10mm drill bit? For a drill bit I would weld a small nut on it to get it to spin back out. How thick is the metal?

Tap sockets are your best defense against tap extractors.

Top extractor's work well with plenty of penetrant, working the tap in and out. If the tap is shattered, a punch and a chisel is good for getting to the portion of the tap that you can use and extractor on.

I've never had one break where I was fortunate enough to be able to weld something to it. FUBAR or go home.

😑🤣

Those are tap extractors and you stated it was 10mm drill bit? For a drill bit I would weld a small nut on it to get it to spin back out. How thick is the metal?
Thats actually a great idea but I don't have a welder. I may have to ask my buddy to come over with his. Do you mean the thickness of the tap?

Tap sockets are your best defense against tap extractors.

Top extractor's work well with plenty of penetrant, working the tap in and out. If the tap is shattered, a punch and a chisel is good for getting to the portion of the tap that you can use and extractor on.

I've never had one break where I was fortunate enough to be able to weld something to it. FUBAR or go home.

😑🤣
I bought a cheap Chinese tap and I think that may be why...Here is a pic of the broken tap:

Broken Tap Pic

I am terrified that I am going to mess this up so I am just trying to find out the best way of going about this.

I have used the Wilton once or more. Limited success with taps. I have also used carbide drills on taps and drills. Carbide drills snap real easy. Any side load, and snap. And then its EDM time. I'm in a similar situation. I broke a drill, on a bolt to a Chevy Avalanche. Not fun.

Thats actually a great idea but I don't have a welder. I may have to ask my buddy to come over with his. Do you mean the thickness of the tap?

I bought a cheap Chinese tap and I think that may be why...Here is a pic of the broken tap:

Broken Tap Pic

I am terrified that I am going to mess this up so I am just trying to find out the best way of going about this.
Tap remover. Penetrant, small punch if shattered, and a bit of patience.

I have used the Wilton once or more. Limited success with taps. I have also used carbide drills on taps and drills. Carbide drills snap real easy. Any side load, and snap. And then its EDM time. I'm in a similar situation. I broke a drill, on a bolt to a Chevy Avalanche. Not fun.
Whats your favorite most successful method? Thanks for sharing this.

Tap remover. Penetrant, small punch if shattered, and a bit of patience.
What kind and size tap remover would you suggest?

What kind and size tap remover would you suggest?
They are size specific. There may be some sae to metric crossover with some sizes.

Back