• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ on a frame?

BIGWOODY said:
If you cut it down to people who had a clue as to what they were talking about and not a bunch of crap they read on the net somewhere, you'd have maybe a dozen people or so in here.
Works for me.

It's like I've said before.
When you're clueless, go ahead and think it.
If you must, say it. (you can always deny saying it)
But if you write it, your stupidity becomes public record.

Last edited:
kid4lyf said:
Thank you, 90txxj, for illuminating so perfectly why Advance Fab should be member only. :gee:
x2

big woody said what i meant. if it wasnt for my add my posts might make more sense. by the way i am a welder and when your a welder you go for more bang for the buck.

90txXJ said:
big woody said what i meant. if it wasnt for my add my posts might make more sense. by the way i am a welder and when your a welder you go for more bang for the buck.

Your add? Are you a welder or an accountant? Or did you mean A.D.D.?

malfunction.jpg

brokexj said:
You're right, 78 is such a difference!

What? Lawn cher was born in 78? Christ, that explains ALOT! Young Punk!

oh, 90txXJ.. if you dont like the Unibody and frame idea, you should look under a Land Rover sometime, those Brits have been doing it wrong all over the world.. you should point it out to them.

Ludakris said:
What? Lawn cher was born in 78? Christ, that explains ALOT! Young Punk!

What can I say, I'm mature for my age, LOL. :jester:

Ludakris said:
oh, and does this count for Lawn Cher taking another thread off-topic?

Someone else steered it off course before I added my two cents. I'm not claiming this hijack.

Excuse my newbieness. I had somewhat the same idea but only built a sub-frame. But it can be extended to a full frame and who knows, maybe someday.
http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=112

This whole thread is very entertaining. Glad I joined the board. I'll try and not let my ignorance show too much. Whoops. too late. Don't mess with C-Rok!

Last edited:
as far as an XJ on a frame goes, i think its a sweet idea, i like all the subframe work for the suspension mounts, but, unfortunatly i seem to be having the biggest issue w/ the steering areas of the uniframe :( ive got 1/4" plates that extend back to the track bar mount (and the same pos on the pass side) but its still creaking like mad.....

gearwhine said:
wow, talk about lost ground clearance 87xjco

True, I did loose clearance. Wish I would have saw the post about putting frame inside of unibody rails, it wouldn't have been that much more work. Although I think the long arm mounts would have to be almost that low regardless.

xjcrawlr said:
When I build my cage, I will be doing so with an SCCA Rally rulebook in hand. I will do this because;

A) rally cars take more abuse than any other type of race car that still uses a factory body shell..

B) XJ's are similar to rally cars as both have uni-body designs.

C) most XJ cage designs are modeled after cages designed for body-on-frame vehicles which have nothing in common with XJ's

Now keep in mind, these are simply MY observations and opinions that will be used on MY Cherokee. In the end its your junk, do what you want with it, cage it, sub-frame it, full-frame it, hell put a set of half-tracks on it....(That would acually be kinda cool).
When I build my cage, I will be doing so with a Demolition Derby rulebook in hand. I will do this because:

A) Demolition Derby cars take more abuse than any other type of "race car"(sic) that still uses a steering wheel.

B) XJ's are similar to Demolition Derby cars as both look like beat-up junkers.

C) most XJ cage designs are modeled after chicken coops which have nothing in common with XJ's.

and

D) Demolition Derby rules don't require pool noodles.

MaXJohnson said:
C) most XJ cage designs are modeled after chicken coops which have nothing in common with XJ's.

Stop being a smart ass when I've had a rough day. I don't want to smile.

Crap, to late. :D

Anyways,
I did see an XJ on a frame On RT1 in Hamptonisharea New Hampshire.
Didnt get a good look at it but it looked goofy
f150 frame mabey?

i started this mess, but in all the rants and tangents (typ) are some excellent responses. i like what olywa is doing...that is EXACTLY what i am looking for.

i would like to build a frame like you have done. i haven't tackled that kind of fab, yet. can you give some specs on that frame....tube size, splice sizes, dimensions of your frame. also, any difficulties you may have run into along the way and how you set up body attachment points...maybe you have a sketch, plan, or cad file.....any information would be greatly appreciated.

and of course more pics!

Im planning the same thing so let me know how it goes. Im going to cut the factory frame rails off completely and start from scratch. Only worry is how to support the body whithout damage with no frame. Floorboard isnt real strong.

Back