• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ "Budget Build"

So here it is with the front all assembled with Roungh Country 6.5" coils.
cbd581ef8d51c788cb5af62512a6d3dc.jpg

You can also see how I changed the crossmember from solid to removable.

Notice on the driver's side where I had to clearance the flanges to clear the front driveshaft. If I were to do it again, I would have moved the crossmember back about 3 inches.

I got a little distracted from the important stuff and decided to build the front bumper. Nothing original here. 3/16" plate welded up with a 2" receiver in the middle and D rings. I did trim the front fenders so the bumper would go straight back.

I didn't do a winch bumper because I have a Superduty, the FJ40 I'm going to finish one day, and a motorhome we take to Pismo, soooooo I plan on all of them sharing a 12K winch at some point. So the receiver with a multi mount winch seems like the best way for me to go
c96f5120948d27902088f7a722309dd8.jpg
0059776d276ead0e134fe344204775cf.jpg

Last edited:
And here it is after some time in the EZ Bake oven
ae61194930f61badf826dacac9d84ce3.jpg
ecf1a04c240f2de14a0aef4a311650a7.jpg

In this shot you can see that I ditched the stock steering and installed a Rusty's setup with a Rough Country pitman arm.
You can also see the RC track bar bracket hanging down.

Last edited:
Looks good.
But, with your fab ability, Kind of disappointed with the RC and (c)Rusty's choice of steering parts. Hope it works for you though.

So this is about the point where I think I went nutts. So this budget build with off the shelf suspension was clearly derailed on the front end. The smart and easy thing for me to do would have been get some lifted leafs and shackles to level it out. I actually bought a pair of 63" GM springs, but in the end I decided to do a 4 link.

I found inspiration in the Clayton kit and read that stock front coils in the rear will get you close on a 6.5" lift. I still had some extra Ballistic Joints so decided to go for it.
cdb9a050f404a24a9094740cdbac8c1f.jpg
ffe3a612181903d3234304b51d04adf6.jpg

I copied the Clayton upper mount making mine out of 3/16" plate and 2" DOM for the upper retainer and bump stop mount. I cut into the unibody and welded it into place.

I made the rear truss out of 2X2 square tube. If I were to do it again I would have bent one up out of 1/2" plate like I did the front.

The links are 2"X 1/4" square with Ballistic joints at the frame end and poly bushings at the axle end.

I used brackets from ruffstuff and Ballistic for the lower coil buckets, axle tabs/brackets, and tabs for the truss. I had to fab the upper brackets. I welded the upper and lower link brackets to the unibody stiffeners.

Last edited:
I forgot, I looked into swapping in ZJ brakes to get rear disks, but learned if I went with an Explorer 8.8 I could get added strength, disks, 4.10 gears, and a limited slip. I scrounged through 3 Pick N Pulls before I found one with all of that. Sooooo there it is.

You can see the previous pic that stock coils in the rear gave me more like 9" of lift with my setup, so I cut out 1 coil to level it out
5b8ddd7a4ce2e5bdcad54fea52ecd110.jpg
17122d918e7e35a935fdd54cc733974d.jpg

Close enough for me.

I love your removable stifeners because I don't want to weld big pieces to my rig that I can't swap to another easily because I feel the body is on its last leg anyways.
Cutting a coil off will increase the spring rate of the coil. If it ends up too stiff you may be able to get some stock TJ coils because they seemed way softer and shorter than the xj ones I have.

I love your removable stifeners because I don't want to weld big pieces to my rig that I can't swap to another easily because I feel the body is on its last leg anyways.
Cutting a coil off will increase the spring rate of the coil. If it ends up too stiff you may be able to get some stock TJ coils because they seemed way softer and shorter than the xj ones I have.
Thanks for the info. You'll see later that I add coil spacers in the front and stock height dual rates in the rear.

ce0537dbc239d76bd87007fc79c0116e.jpg

The next thing I worked on was frame sliders. I used 2X2 square with some 1.25" pipe that I bent with a Harbor Freight pipe bender. The siders are welded to the unibody stiffeners.
c3a077107f26cdfe3f430dd1837ec601.jpg

I then removed the whole assembly and baked it in the EZ Bake oven.

526a604caa9fcc1a50b7704778b53a89.jpg

Next up was the "cut and fold on the rear quarter panels"
33d5d7f907d8bef763651bedb16e7345.jpg

I did this because I wanted my bumper to wrap around to protect the quarter panels.

Last edited:
I didn't do anything original with the rear bumper. I just copied design features from other prople's builds and aftermarket products.
1e7e21d1873ecf6ae9b077f2de69ed57.jpg

For the bumper itself I used the pre cut strips of 3/16" that I had sheered earlier (4" and 2" wide). I added D rings and a hitch receiver.

I opened up the unibody at the centers of the bumper mounting flanges so the bumper could extend into the frame. Doing this you can use the 3 stock holes from the factory hitch/gas tank skid to give yourslf added strength in the bumper and rigidity in the unibody. I welded 1/2" nuts to the part of the bumper that slid inside.

On the driver's side you need to clearance your extensions to clear the gas tank filler hose.
d4e4be7fdaff62bf81e5ccc84018e184.jpg

It mounts with the 8 stock bolts plus 3 1/2" bolts coming through the bottom.

The swing arm is 3/16" 2X3 box tubing. I actually cut it into 3 sections and mitered it so it would kinda contour around the rear hatch. The vertical and supports going down to the swing arm are 2X2. I think the spare tire bracket cane from ruffstuff.

The swing arm secures to the bumper with a T-bolt and threads into a piece of 1/2 plate welded to the bumper. The hole for the T-bolt is sleeved. The swing arm rests on some delron to take sone load off of the T-bolt and spindle.

5fa803b51dae7fcdf77845a9e81d79b6.jpg

I welded a pop pin to the swing arm and there's a plate welded to the bumper with a hole drilled in for the pop pin. The swing arm swings straight out and locks into place.

I can add more pictures if anybody wants to see it in more detail.
8c1684ec8828a0ebebc2fd82775f09ee.jpg

45f350604b42592ca47abc3c418075f2.jpg

The mount for the jack is 2" square with a half inch bolt sticking out. I use 1/2" Nuts with some half in bar welded to it to sucure the jack.

33e7506cf1060a7bc21b9d6570610ac5.jpg

d71cdb6ad3ad96c8cc2d8cf30844aefb.jpg

I welded some hitch receiver tubing to the tire mount to make my license plate removable.

Last edited:
Hmmmm so how low does your crossmember hang? Also, Is that your rear arm mount build into the rocker skid?

Hmmmm so how low does your crossmember hang? Also, Is that your rear arm mount build into the rocker skid?
The crossmember is a couple of inches below the unibody...I know, I know...right at the center of the vehicle where it's most likely to rub. I couldn't figure out another way to do it and maintain any height difference between the upper and lower links.

And yes, the rear lower link bracket is welded to the unibody stiffener. I wanted to be unable to unbolt my stiffener/suspension and bolt it onto another XJ when I destroy this one. The crossmember hangs down about the same amount at the link bracket.

Back