• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All D30 lockers the same?

SurplusFan98

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

Trying hard to find a selectable locker for my Dana 30 up front, but I can't pay new selectable locker prices and also do a re-gear. That's waaaaaay out of my budget.

Was browsing FB marketplace and found a used ARB locker for a reasonable price, minus the ring gear (which in my case is fine). It says its out of a "Dana 30" but not out of what vehicle/application specifically.

I guess my question is: is a D30 in an XJ the same as a YJ and a JK in terms of the carrier/locker? Could I take a D30 out of a JK and put it in an XJ because a D30 is a D30 is a D30? Or, are there differences per vehicle that I would need to know?

Thanks

The only differences are what carrier it came out of (open/lsd).

and the carrier ratio!

Reactions: xcm
The carrier break is 3.54 - dn and 3.73 - up.

How many splines?

ARB made several versions for the D30. You probably want a 30 spline version.

The 27 spline version is better than nothing, but it is not going to like it if you put all the power to one wheel in the rocks.

How many splines?

ARB made several versions for the D30. You probably want a 30 spline version.

The 27 spline version is better than nothing, but it is not going to like it if you put all the power to one wheel in the rocks.

Thats a good question that I didn't think to ask. I'm sure my D30 still has the original 27 spline axles. I guess I could jut swich to the 30 spline shafts so long as the carrier supported it? Honestly, I'm not looking to do any hardcore rock crawling. My build is around overlanding. I just want a front locker to reduce the likelihood of getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.

The guy confirmed the original gearing on the locker was for 4.10's which is on the correct side of the carrier break for me.

Check with ARB to verify that a JK D30 part number and an XJ D30 part number are the same.
What size tires do you plan on running? I've never regretted stepping to 30 spline chro-moly shafts when my D30 ARB was installed.

Do you already have on-board air?

I would be concern about it working properly. It does have a part # on it so I would ask for a photo of that#. It would not only tell you the fitment but also some insight as to it's age. They dis-continued the early version of the d30 because of failure issues.

You may also need a new air-ring and all the fittings to get thru the pumpkin.

Back