• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winters AW4 Shifter-RADesigns upgraded

Is that just the electronics add-on kit? I can't find a catalog listing for that shifter stand-alone, but similar ones were running around $325.

Could that be included in your kit as an add-on?

Check out the PolyPerformance link for the shifter, that's the price I paid for mine. #607-1

If you just want a simple switch for the TC lock I do sell an On-Off switch, or you can buy one anywhere.

ok so i buy the shifter from Poly Performance then send it to you?

i'm also still not too sure on how to mount this as this is my driver so i want to keep my headed seat buttons along with cup holders and center console.

ok so i buy the shifter from Poly Performance then send it to you?

i'm also still not too sure on how to mount this as this is my driver so i want to keep my headed seat buttons along with cup holders and center console.

No the switch kit easily bolts to the Winters shifter, no modifications required.
These shifter are large, I doubt you could keep the full stock console with one. Most of the guys I've seen runnng these have no center console. The purpose of me doing this is to supplying an upgrade for those guys that want a Winters but still need full electric gear control without the second shift controller I already sell.

Id be very interested if you were to ever modify your rock shifter do the same thing (perhaps split out the 'L' position somehow). IMO, this would be ideal, could have a simple toggle switch to switch between manual and auto and use the Rock Shifter in either manual or auto without the need for another shifter (even better if it would still fit in the stock location as it does now). Reckon I know a half dozen other XJ owners who would buy one you did this.

This looks great man! I've been on the fence for awhile now on buying some sort of setup for have manual control. I'd like to do a shifter since it would be a PITA to flip a bunch of toggles off road :)

so can it be wired that when its in "4" that it will shift normally
Haven't looked into that, yet..................hmmmmmm. On the to do list.

This looks great man! I've been on the fence for awhile now on buying some sort of setup for have manual control. I'd like to do a shifter since it would be a PITA to flip a bunch of toggles off road :)
I agree.

Sorry for a little highjacking but I just got a 2 WD auto cherokee and wanted to know if the baja shifter would fit in spot where the T case shifter would go?
The Baja is approx. 6" long and 4" tall and 2-1/2" wide, I'd guess it should fit/

Thanks for the measurements...I'll measure and see what I can figure out...of course I'll let you know.It is for a street project as I love my nv3550 in my other XJ and and a strker is going in the 2wd one :) but want to shift the auto when I tell it to.

Does this Winters shifter have to be used with a TCU?

How does this shifter do 1 and 2 with our AW-4 trans?

The control for 1-2 is electric microswitches when shifting the floor shifter using cams to actuate them. You can see this in the pics I have posted. No you do not need a TCM but you could wire in switches to choose to use one or the other.

But with the Winters, without your switches, how do they use the cable to go between 1 and 2? I don't see how their shifter can work with just the cable. It could use the stock TCU, but how do they get 1 and 2? Is their shifter really 1=1-2, 2=3, 3=OD?

The trans also needs the electronic switching that you provide. They seem to be just selling a generic shifter that is not specific to our AW4.

Right, without electric control the Winters is just a normal floor mount cable shifter that still needs a TCU. 1 is 1-2, 2 is D and 3 is OD.

Hence why I researched the capabilities of their product, and contemplated the needs of the customer which lead to the concept of what would be required. I took this concept and designed and proceeded to build the electric upgrade. This is available to the consumer to get all the needed features in one unit. :confused1
Ooooohhhh sounds so upscale when I word it that way.

I would do it if the 4th gear selection was for standard auto shift and not to hold 4th. I daily drive my XJ and I don't want to be shifting it all the time, I would just like to be able to select from 3-1 when offload.

I built an electronic controller that will do just that.

Back