• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ax15 shifter bushings that don't suck

Agreen

NAXJA Forum User
I've had the AX15 in my XJ for a couple years now. I've changed the bushings twice, and it's time again.

First set was some garbage from ebay, 2nd set was Crown Automotive garbage.

So my question is: does anyone NOT in China make shifter bushings for the AX15?

2nd part of this question: I found that Transparts warehouse's website says their bushing fits the ax15 AND the Toyota R151. So has anyone tried this? Can I use the Toyota bushing? Every parts website I've been on does not show an interchange between the 2 parts, so I'm slightly skeptical.

https://transpartswarehouse.com/486...kmSifxLK7vMy_KOEAWXwyAkMfPKL9zJhoClB0QAvD_BwE

Anyway, I'm just tired of changing these stupid bushings. I'd really like to see a bronze set available, but that's probably just wishful hoping.

Anyway, I'm just tired of changing these stupid bushings. I'd really like to see a bronze set available, but that's probably just wishful hoping.

Several options, but first you should check out why your going thru bushings. The shifter ball should be a smooth polished ball so if you have any scratches or gouges that can be taken care of.

You could easily make a bushing out of any material you want!

You could also purchase a new short throw shifter with improved internals!

The answer to that is easy. Aftermarket parts are Chinese garbage. Yes, the ball is smoothly polished without any burrs or nicks.

I'd just rather buy a quality part than spend 3 or 4 hours on a lathe making a set.

I was REALLY hoping there would be an obvious answer. Like the Toyota bushing example, for instance.

Of all the AX15 equipped wranglers, there's got to be something better than Crown Auto bushings.

Yes, the ball is smoothly polished without any burrs or nicks.

If all that is true you have to find out why your going thru bushings.

I guess it'll just remain a mystery. It definitely can't be the low quality Chinese bushings, which are the only option currently available.
/s

Maybe the lube your using? Plastics are very specific otherwise a lot of greases deteriorate them. I know my glocks I use pure silicon grease!

What he wants is actually called the bushing seat.

That's what is so strange, I don't recall anyone else either!

Agreen, it would be nice if you took a pic of the ball and seat whenever you replace it!

Also you might try one from a transmission shop supplier vs Quadratech, Omni-Ada, or Crown.

That's a great write-up Anak!

Back