• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Swap Brake Wiring Question

Lordhelemt

NAXJA Forum User
New user here. I actually learned to drive on a first generation XJ but haven't owned on in years.

I'm building a CJ7 for the kids and powering it with a 4.0/aw4 from a 95 XJ. I pulled the entire side engine harness plus the trans ecu. I have limited storage space so I parted the XJ quickly to get it out of here. I didn't think this out and in doing so I don't think I grabbed everything that is needed.

I have pretty sure I have the engine wiring figured out but now I'm wondering if I should have grabbed the brake light switch wiring (cabin side). The truck is long gone so i'm not even sure where it connects into the harness. This said, does anyone have a picture of the brake pedal wiring and/or a diagram on how it is wired into the trans ecu? I want to ensure proper interlock on the shifter as well as trans shift points/engine management (if the trans/engine ecu communicates with the brake switch). Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I did do a few searches but could only find how to integrate the trans ecu stand alone. But since I have both the engine/trans ecus I just need to figure out how to integrate the brake switch.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

Yes, the TCU needs a signal for the brake to know when to unlock the torque converter.

You might find what you're looking for on Cruisers site in the tech section. http://cruiser54.com/?page_id=365 Pages 8W-53-2 and 8W-51-3, specifically.

Pin 10 on the TCU, and pin 29 on the ECU get grounded when the brake is not pressed

Back