• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which gearing is better?

Automatics are a lot more forgiving, generally unless it's geared low with low transfer case gearing I prefer automatics off road, especially in rocks. On the street I prefer manuals.

Both of my current Jeeps have automatics.
X2, the torque converter gives you a decent amount of help.

I'm a little confused, how did you find a donor with an AX15 and 4.10s? Far as I know 4.10s only came with the AX5 and the 4cyl motor. Someone must have swapped them in afterwards, or a wacky dealer option? Was it a modified vehicle or bone stock?

Either way, I am quite jealous, that's the kind of donor I've been looking for for quite a while.

d30 shafts will swap lp to hp just fine but you may have to use different unit bearings (i.e. the ones off the donor), or swap the brake rotors and/or calipers as well as the axle. If you upgrade the 8.25 to 29 spline in the future, you have to swap carriers, loaded carriers (swap your ring gear over onto the new carrier, but leave the side/spider gears inside it), and shafts. Fortunately the 8.25 is a side adjuster axle instead of using carrier bearing shims, and the pinion will already be at the right depth, so you just have to set backlash and carrier bearing preload back to the right values.

I see a lot of talk about swapping the carrier, spiders and shafts out from the 29 spline in place of the 27. Wouldn't the extra shaft thickness require seals that would have been on the 29sp? I know the housings are the same, so the seals won't be a problem there, but I wouldn't imagine the seals for a smaller axle shaft could be used without tearing them up. Unless the difference in shaft thickness is that insignificant? :dunno:

No difference on the seals - the 8.25 lubes the wheel bearings with gear lube (no inner seals) and the bearing surface is the same diameter on 27 and 29 spline shafts. Only difference is the amount of neck-down and the spline count.

Good to know for future reference. I've already swapped in a full 29sp I got for $25. It was completely disassembled and I rebuilt everything, but took my time on it and didn't have down time. I figured if it were an issue, the OP would want to know. But anyway, it doesn't matter.

X2, the torque converter gives you a decent amount of help.

I'm a little confused, how did you find a donor with an AX15 and 4.10s? Far as I know 4.10s only came with the AX5 and the 4cyl motor. Someone must have swapped them in afterwards, or a wacky dealer option? Was it a modified vehicle or bone stock?

Either way, I am quite jealous, that's the kind of donor I've been looking for for quite a while.

d30 shafts will swap lp to hp just fine but you may have to use different unit bearings (i.e. the ones off the donor), or swap the brake rotors and/or calipers as well as the axle. If you upgrade the 8.25 to 29 spline in the future, you have to swap carriers, loaded carriers (swap your ring gear over onto the new carrier, but leave the side/spider gears inside it), and shafts. Fortunately the 8.25 is a side adjuster axle instead of using carrier bearing shims, and the pinion will already be at the right depth, so you just have to set backlash and carrier bearing preload back to the right values.

cant tell you :laugh: but really to be honest i have no idea. it seems to be completly stock. but the tags on the diffs say 4.10 it was never wheeled. let alone driven... everything underneath it looks like the jeep just rolled off the production line. body is a little faded from sitting outside several years. but the interior still has the new car smell. it was donated by chrysler or something. and now has a fate involving a crusher in the near future. so i figured id save bits and pieces of it.

good to know about the 8.25 money is not very big so i will probably be running the 8.25 with the current shafts for awhile.

thanks,
Mitch

You want better pickup now then with 3.55.
You like to off more/harder.
your running a stick
No chat about a lot of freeway driving.
I say go deep.

Back