• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ISO: Built Axles

ryan13

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a complete long shot, but I am getting ready to dump a whole lot of stupid money into my waggy 44's to get them properly setup and under my 5.9 ZJ.

I figured before I take the leap, I would see if anyone has any built axles in decent shape that they want to sell.

Looking for:
- stock width or close to stock width
- 4.56 gears or would consider 4.88
- locked would be a plus, air locked/selectable would be even better
- proper brackets for at least one axle (front)
- brakes need to clear 15" wheels

My ZJ is built for overlanding with some minor rock play mixed in. The plan is to overbuild the axles in hopes of not breaking them considering the type of use they will be getting.

I figure for around $5k I can moderately build my waggy 44's to the specs that I want considering I got the pair for $300.

Are the JK 44's really worth that much in their stock forms? They just seem too far out of reach for my current budget.

I've contemplated those too but they are so much $$$ just to get them in stock form.

I've been seeing stock sets go for $3,500+. If you stumble across a decently priced set send them my way!

The JK's look like they're $2300 a side brand new. Even if you spend $3500 for used, that gives you $1500 to play with for brackets, brakes, gussets, etc. Not sure if you want to gear right away, but you can definitely get away with 4.10's with the 5.9. I ran them and 35's on my ZJ with the 4.0, and while it was no racecar, it was reasonable enough on the road. You're going to end up with a stronger setup overall than a Waggy 44, not to mention something that's going to be much more desirable if you ever go to sell. If that's not the ideal route, I'd price out a narrowed HP44 and 8.8 like Patch had set up in his ZJ. I think that would be within the same budget and you'd end up with a stronger overall setup. Dumping $5k into waggy's is insanity to me, but I'm also doing dumber things with more money with my M3, so take that with a grain of salt.

I have a lead on a set of JK Rubi axles for $3500...It just hurts to spend that much all at once only to have to cut all the brackets off and still have to regear them.

Right now, the stock 3.73 aren't great with the 35's but the tq of the tuned 5.9 helps it not suck as much. The 241 that I have in it as well helps a lot when it is in 4low, but I will eventually need to regear it. With brackets, new brakes, and possibly axle sleeves, I'd be at the same dollar point (possibly over) and still not have them geared.

Also, does anyone know if 15" wheels will work with them?

I'm going to do a bit more research looking into them since you peaked my interest again for the JK 44's. Thanks for your input guys...we will see where this takes me.

I was told they would 'just bolt right up.' I never looked because I wasn't about to drop that kind of coin. I also thought the Rubi's had 4.10's stock and with your setup, it wouldn't be too bad at that rate. If you did have to regear, yeah, you'd add another $1k (half that for usa standard gears but I'm not sure I'd take that chance on nice axles) and you'd be close to, if not over your $5k but with likely much better axles.

The TJ's came with 4.10's and the JK's apparently come with 3.73's now. 4.10's would not be bad but it is not a factory option anymore from the looks of it.

Again, I can deal with the 3.73's for now but was really hoping to get some low end back with a regear. I also see very mixed reviews with the elockers which is why my plan was to go air. A NAXJA vendor is running a great deal right now on gears, install kit and Zip locker for $1025.

I hate decisions like this... higher dollar and once I pick a direction I need to stick with it.

Forgive me but for how much you already have invested why not stay the course?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I'm looking for JKR D44 too, people want stupid money for the fronts. Can buy a new G2 D44 for the same price

Rear JK D44s are easy, especially if you are thinking to regear and / or locker anyway, any old housing will work

Narrowed HP44/8.8 is a better combo than Waggy axles any day, in my opinion anyway. I don't see much benefit to a Waggy 44 over a D30, slightly bigger shafts maybe? The U-joint is the same size, and I'm sure the Waggy shafts neck down too. I would honestly pick an HP30 over one, saves a fair amount of money, and probably not much weaker. An 8.8 is a better axle than a 44 without a doubt. Bigger ring/pinion, bigger shafts, factory discs, the only downside is the c-clip, but if you're going to break a shaft in an 8.8, you were going to break one in a 44 anyway. That being said, I wouldn't ever spend the money on smaller axles like those again, I could have built tons for not much more.

I built a HP44/D60-ISU and could have built tons.

In hindsight I should have gone with a waggy 44 and full-size 8.8... actually, I should have just built the 30/8.25 and stayed on 33s.

But i bought a land rover instead.

Narrowed HP44/8.8 is a better combo than Waggy axles any day, in my opinion anyway. I don't see much benefit to a Waggy 44 over a D30, slightly bigger shafts maybe? The U-joint is the same size, and I'm sure the Waggy shafts neck down too. I would honestly pick an HP30 over one, saves a fair amount of money, and probably not much weaker. An 8.8 is a better axle than a 44 without a doubt. Bigger ring/pinion, bigger shafts, factory discs, the only downside is the c-clip, but if you're going to break a shaft in an 8.8, you were going to break one in a 44 anyway. That being said, I wouldn't ever spend the money on smaller axles like those again, I could have built tons for not much more.

Why even bother doing all that when we know a ZJ in that configuration could never make it up those Ma Bell ledges?

This was actually a decent conversation until the second page...:)

So, my long winded response...

My goal for the jeep is to overbuild it for what I'm going to be using it for, thus hopefully eliminating stupid breaks (like at rocktoberfest this year).

I had originally considered tons to just build axles and build them once...but with the overlanding I do in New England, the trails/old roads are already tight enough, with full width's I think I would have issues. Also, I had JUST bought new tires with a 15" rim and I know that in most cases with tons, a larger wheel is needed and would now be another expense.

I know that they can be cut down to proper width, but now I am dealing with custom shafts. Again, being up in the middle of nowhere, hours away from any help, I need to carry spares for everything I have. Now I would need to carry spare custom shafts. I may be overthinking it, but I tend to do that a lot.

As for the waggy 44's, I was not planning on using the rear 44 since there are better options out there. I had considerd the Izu/Rodeo 44 since the gear ratio is what I'm looking for but the 8.8 is the better option because the aftermarket support for the 8.8 is great.

I am very torn because I know once I start piling parts for a certain axle, I need to stay the course and stick with it. Since I will not be using the jeep much this winter, I really wanted to build these axles so they would be good to go by spring time.

Thank you all for your input and opinions, they are all honestly very helpful. I may be overthinking some things but I just want to be sure I am covering all the bases. I am still not at all sure what direction I should go in but the ideas flying around help a lot so keep them coming.

What's your budget? $5k? Are you opposed to buying used stuff? I'd strongly consider waiting for someone to part out a rig- considering it's almost winter, you'd probably have an easy time finding someone- and then scooping up already built axles and making them work with new brackets, etc. You're going to get the most bang for your buck that way as long as they were built right.

You're going to get the most bang for your buck that way as long as they were built right.

I completely agree Dave, but the above bold is the key part...built right. I am not at all opposed to it, I am just super picky about it since (to me) this is a very large sum of money to spend.

I have been on the hunt for some for about 6 months now but just cant seem to find the right ones. One thing being the gear ratios and lockers.

I am fairly stuck on the 4.56 ratio because I think it will offer me the best combination of power, mpg's, and drivability. Many built sets that I have come across are 5.13 since they are coming out of strictly rock based builds. 4.10's would be absolutely livable and 4.88's I'd consider if everything else checked out.

I am not in a crazy rush to buy, I just like to spread the purchases out so I stockpile...but since we are most likely moving in January, it'll work to my advantage of holding off and continue the hunt for some decent, already built axles.

If anyone comes across any, please send them my way!

Back