• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ISO: Built Axles

I completely agree Dave, but the above bold is the key part...built right. I am not at all opposed to it, I am just super picky about it since (to me) this is a very large sum of money to spend.

I have been on the hunt for some for about 6 months now but just cant seem to find the right ones. One thing being the gear ratios and lockers.

I am fairly stuck on the 4.56 ratio because I think it will offer me the best combination of power, mpg's, and drivability. Many built sets that I have come across are 5.13 since they are coming out of strictly rock based builds. 4.10's would be absolutely livable and 4.88's I'd consider if everything else checked out.

I am not in a crazy rush to buy, I just like to spread the purchases out so I stockpile...but since we are most likely moving in January, it'll work to my advantage of holding off and continue the hunt for some decent, already built axles.

If anyone comes across any, please send them my way!

There's only so many things that can be done wrong with an axle. Easy enough to pop off a cover and check a wear pattern on a gear setup, check an electric or air locker, etc. I think you'd get a decent idea based on brackets alone. Someone who is going to take the time to do them right and do a good job welding is someone who will likely also make sure the rest of the axle is set up correctly.

As you saw on my zj it isn't that much wider even sitting on 69" front 67.5 rear the only reason my fronts wider is to clear the steering but a one ton style and I could have ran stock rims without the spacer.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Narrowing my D60 cost me a couple hours and $270 for custom chromo inner from Mitchell. That shaft is the last thing you will have a problem with.

I have a 44/60 combo im selling id be willing to ship.

wonder how beat they are. If he broke a shaft, did he bend the Cs and tube?

So the jeep was hit in the right front.

It has no knuckles, brakes or the listed missing axle shaft. He said the only real damage is a bent LCA mount. It is a housing with the gear set and locker still installed.

He swears that the axle is strait but there is no way to confirm it. I asked about the C's and he said they were all good...

He also said that when the insurance company replaced the front axle...it costs them $9k in 2010/11. This again was just for a housing with gears/locker. They had to pull the other stuff off of the damaged axle.

I think I'm going to pass on this one just because its over a 4 hour drive each way and it doesn't sound like he's willing to come down on price at all. I'm not sure if that is worth the risk of buying a potentially bent axle.

Thoughts from you guys?

Last edited:
So the jeep was hit in the right front.

It has no knuckles, brakes or the listed missing axle shaft. He said the only real damage is a bent LCA mount. It is a housing with the gear set and locker still installed.

He swears that the axle is strait but there is no way to confirm it. I asked about the C's and he said they were all good...

He also said that when the insurance company replaced the front axle...it costs them $9k in 2010/11. This again was just for a housing with gears/locker. They had to pull the other stuff off of the damaged axle.

I think I'm going to pass on this one just because its over a 4 hour drive each way and it doesn't sound like he's willing to come down on price at all. I'm not sure if that is worth the risk of buying a potentially bent axle.

Thoughts from you guys?

Probably are better options out there if it's not a great deal.

Hey Ryan for $800 I want to say you can buy a j8 housing through mopar

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Too much $$ if you have to buy the brakes and everything

You can find pairs of takeoff JKR 44s on ebay for $3k if you buy them together, not a bad price for two locked and loaded axles

I agree. Pairs of built axles show up at a good price fairly regularly. Keep an eye on Craigslist, Facebook, and all the forums.

Like Eric said, geared and locked 44s (or even tons) with brakes and steering sell for $3k quite often. You just have to be patient.

It also seems like people are willing to negotiate a LOT on the price of axles they need rid of.

I will definitely be keeping my eye open for a deal over the winter. Since we are selling out house, I can't start the swap yet anyways so I do have some time before I will want them done.

Right now I'll be focusing on a JKR front to match the rear I got. I can't beat the deal I got for the rear so it will free up a few bucks to spend on brackets and the right setup for the front axle.

Back