• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling...Tips and Tricks

people usually know if I am not clear of an obstacle because they hear my rev limiter and possibly see clouds of tire smoke and flying dust, pebbles, underbrush...

What we did was introduce ourselves to the guy in front of us and the guy behind us.

I know, but after the Green runners got split up the order got shuffled, and I did my best to figure out who was in front of me. XJStryker, someone in a ZJ (XJRN-The Nurse; was that possibly you?), and one other all made appearances in front of me, and I knew 87manche was behind me.

Yes, It'd be nice to clear up radio confusion.

This topic is on the agenda for the drivers meeting. There is nothing more annoying or confusing then just a bunch of chatter on CB's.

I know, but after the Green runners got split up the order got shuffled, and I did my best to figure out who was in front of me. XJStryker, someone in a ZJ (XJRN-The Nurse; was that possibly you?), and one other all made appearances in front of me, and I knew 87manche was behind me.

I was in an amathyst 99xj. I was behind Flexd at the beginning.

Brad? He has a ZJ. Kinda looks like a jew? :D I think having required CB's is gonna help out a bunch.

Last edited:
I think we need our board name (aka call sign) written on our back and maybe front window. Especially in a big group there is so much radio chatter saying "clear" over every obstacle you couldn't tell if the person in front of you was saying clear or someone else way in front or behind you. That way we can say, "XJRN clear" and the person behind us will know who is talking.

This is exactly how it should be done.
Just say"Aaron, I am clear". That should be good.

also, when the driver in front of you is going up and over a hill, give him room...don't get close to him, or pull up until you hear your name and clear. Sometimes the driver in front of you will not make it over the hill and needs to back up. you need to leave him the room to back up without running into you.

At times, as a Green Trail Leader, I will describe what to expect on the next obstacle. We need everyone to hear it, so keep the chatter down.

BOB

Aaron, yeah, him, my confusion. See how easy it is!

"watch out for that hole full of smurlge"...and "on your right is the ball sak tree"

Cheese "ya had to be on Orange trail to enjoy the seanR & Chz Show!" Man

Know where your fire extinguisher is.

It's not going to keep your heep from burning to the ground, but you can use it with everyone else to save somebody else's.

Air your tires down before you start. There's nothing more annoying than the cb call that says "Can you guys hold on a minute?" after you're on the trail.

Show up with a full tank of gas. You won't use it at the badlands, but as a general rule, I've been broken, stuck, etc, 4 hours from the trailhead and you might have to spend the night in a cold jeep.

It's been said already, but worth saying again. Make sure you can see the dude in front of you and the dude behind you. All the time. I'm the guy that calls you out on the cb because you're an idiot and leave people behind.

If you wheel at me and Rev's speed (.7 mph) you'll be fine.

It's not going to keep your heep from burning to the ground, but you can use it with everyone else to save somebody else's.

Air your tires down before you start. There's nothing more annoying than the cb call that says "Can you guys hold on a minute?" after you're on the trail.

Show up with a full tank of gas. You won't use it at the badlands, but as a general rule, I've been broken, stuck, etc, 4 hours from the trailhead and you might have to spend the night in a cold jeep.

It's been said already, but worth saying again. Make sure you can see the dude in front of you and the dude behind you. All the time. I'm the guy that calls you out on the cb because you're an idiot and leave people behind.

If you wheel at me and Rev's speed (.7 mph) you'll be fine.

Yep. The trails at the Badlands change from time to time, I've had to guess which route to take because the person in front of me took off.

150% agree. If your fire extinguisher is not within arm's reach it may as well not be in your jeep.

If you haven't bought one yet, get a kitchen sized one not a recreational one. You actually have a chance of putting out a whole fire with it then, instead of delaying it for a few seconds and hoping someone else has a second dinky extinguisher on hand to finish it off.

I've not read this entire thread but even if it's already been mentioned, it's worth mentioning it again.

Always be able to see the guy behind you. If you can see the guy behind you, we'll all stay together. Call it the "No Jeeper left behind" rule.

Hale "starting to get excited" Yes.

I've not read this entire thread but even if it's already been mentioned, it's worth mentioning it again.

Always be able to see the guy behind you. If you can see the guy behind you, we'll all stay together. Call it the "No Jeeper left behind" rule.

Hale "starting to get excited" Yes.
And if you can't see the guy behind you wait there, if you have to just radio ahead and tell them to hold back. Slowing down the pack momentarily is better than someone getting lost.

Back