• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling...Tips and Tricks

last year i forgot my sleeping bag and pillow. and tent. and food. and water. and spare clothes.

also, dont sleep in the back of your jeep. its the worst sleep you never got.

i almost froze to death, but im glad i stayed.

disco "captain hindsight" steve

You did remember your Jeep though!
:doh:

last year i forgot my sleeping bag and pillow. and tent. and food. and water. and spare clothes.

i almost froze to death, but im glad i stayed.

disco "captain hindsight" steve

Air mattress my friend!

Seriously.

If you ever need to sleep in your jeep, find the steepest hill you can (easy, in the parking lot of an offroad park...) and drive up it till you are looking at the sky. Recline your seat, crank the heat, take your coat off and use it as a blanket, when the heat maxes out turn it off and try to fall asleep before it gets cold.

- Ken "done it at rausch creek several times" Stein

My other favorite method, even hammered, is a hammock and mummy bag, but that probably isn't for most people...

Seriously.

If you ever need to sleep in your jeep, find the steepest hill you can (easy, in the parking lot of an offroad park...) and drive up it till you are looking at the sky. Recline your seat, crank the heat, take your coat off and use it as a blanket, when the heat maxes out turn it off and try to fall asleep before it gets cold.

- Ken "done it at rausch creek several times" Stein

My other favorite method, even hammered, is a hammock and mummy bag, but that probably isn't for most people...

great advice! but the seats in my old xj were broken. it wasnt til after wf that i fixed them. but dont worry, this year ill have a nice tent and heaters. and ill bring clothes. and if all else fails the amount of barley pop in my system should keep me at the point where i wont feel anything.

another tip:

listen to your spotter. I know I joke around alot about me being the spotter but if I'm your spotter I will not put you in harms way (unless you want to :) ). Some noticed last year when I was spotting Macgyvr that I was putting him in a real bad line, we've know each other for a long time and he knows when to back down, I will try everytime to put him and a hand full of others into the challenging lines, I wouldn't do this to someone who is new or their rig isn't built to go there.

your spotter can see much more of what your Jeep is doing than you can from the d-seat. trust him, it's hard sometimes when you feel you're gonna flip, but ask Cheeseboy it'll be okay.

BIG ONE FOR SPECTATORS: If there is a spotter helping a rig, DO NOT TRY TO GET THE DRIVERS ATTENTION TO TELL HIM ANYTHING. If you have input on whats going on with the climb tell the spotter. There is nothing worse than having more than one cook in the kitchen, the driver MUST know who to listen to and it NEEDS TO BE ONE PERSON.

Fore 'who wants me to spot them?' Wheeler

another tip:

listen to your spotter. I know I joke around alot about me being the spotter but if I'm your spotter I will not put you in harms way (unless you want to :) ). Some noticed last year when I was spotting Macgyvr that I was putting him in a real bad line, we've know each other for a long time and he knows when to back down, I will try everytime to put him and a hand full of others into the challenging lines, I wouldn't do this to someone who is new or their rig isn't built to go there.

your spotter can see much more of what your Jeep is doing than you can from the d-seat. trust him, it's hard sometimes when you feel you're gonna flip, but ask Cheeseboy it'll be okay.

BIG ONE FOR SPECTATORS: If there is a spotter helping a rig, DO NOT TRY TO GET THE DRIVERS ATTENTION TO TELL HIM ANYTHING. If you have input on whats going on with the climb tell the spotter. There is nothing worse than having more than one cook in the kitchen, the driver MUST know who to listen to and it NEEDS TO BE ONE PERSON.

Fore 'who wants me to spot them?' Wheeler

quoted for truth!

DSC02396.jpg

NEEDS TO BE ONE PERSON.

This right here! Having only been on a couple obstacles where a spotter is needed, I can't handle it when 7 people are trying to tell me what to do. May need some of that spotting at WF2012 from you Dan, My Jeep will be ready for harder stuff then! :D

Flexd'Needs more money and time'XJ

And make sure if it is strapped down, the lid is secure!
bolting the tool box to the floor and securing the lid with a bungee strap will not suffice.
sean"Lar was almost hit with a flying winch block"R

Question: When securing gear in the rear of the jeep, what do most people do? I have ratchet straps but I would have to install some kind of hold down points.

It seems common sense but this is a new thing for me.

Question: When securing gear in the rear of the jeep, what do most people do? I have ratchet straps but I would have to install some kind of hold down points.

build a secure shelf over your wheel wells, have it acessable only when your hatch is open, everything inside will be secure. Mount your spare on top of said shelf.

what I did in the back of my trail rig was to mount some decent sized eyelets through the floor with a "sandwich" type plate on top and bottom made of a heavy grade washer or plate steel. If you drill the holes close to the rear fender wells you will be well away from the gas tank or any lines adn well as not being where you can get into the bottomm of the eyelet bolt with your tire. I then use a rachet strap to secure the items in the cargo area by means of attaching to the eyelets. Make sure you check and double check before drilling through the floor if you go this route. It is a cheap and easy way to get a good solid attachment point...that is if you dont mind drilling a few holes in your rig.

Cheese "dont be afraid to ask questions, we are here to help" Man

washer solvent!!! make sure you have some if you play in mud

if you have wheel locking lug nuts bring your key

if you have wheel locking lug nuts bring your key
to add to this, if you have stock lug nuts with the chromed sheetmetal caps, bring spares... and a chisel and a pair of pliers so you can get the stupid caps out of your lug wrench when they get mangled.

Bring a good strong cross shaped lug wrench, too. The stock potmetal one tends to round off and it sucks to try and use when it is.

when you air down, don't forget to put your valves caps back on.
mud and sand get in there and you will have troubles airing back up.

Have your tow straps and d-rings where you can get at it easily. If it is in your cargo area, and your under water, or mud, or climbing a rock wall, getting to it will not be easy.

BOB

Back