• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's brewing?

Didn't make it out to the range, but brewed a simple Czech style Pils while doing some yard work. 8 gallons total, two fermentation vessels of 4gal. 1 each of Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils and Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager. The idea is to blend them later.

I think that I've figured out how I'm going put my sculpture together. 3 cells on the top with 20" internal openings built out of 2"x2"x0.120" tubing, with diagonals out of 0.25" bar stock that will give a 14" burner opening. There will be 2" of open space between the cells for an overall length of around 6'4". Any pot from 16" to 22" diameter should fit nicely.

For burner windscreens, I'm going to roll 0.120"x0.5" stock into rings that will just fit into the burner openings, and wrap them with light sheet. 32" of sheet should leave about a 10-12" opening, plenty of room for a burner and pretty decent windscreen. I'll probably make the windscreens a foot deep.

I also figured out how I'm going to mount the burners. Those cast iron jet burners just live on the end of gas pipe, so I'm going to run some bar stock across the front and secure vertical feed pipes with u-bolts. This will let me adjust the burner height fairly easily.

BJ, did you ever measure the distance from burner to pot?

all grain + mr beer.....

that's a new one....

not to say it isn't possible, just doubtful the brewer had much of a clue.

he gave me a bottle Friday...

got a text Saturday saying "my beer sucks!!!"

i will take a pic of it later... he defiantly didn't do something right...

Didn't make it out to the range, but brewed a simple Czech style Pils while doing some yard work. 8 gallons total, two fermentation vessels of 4gal. 1 each of Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils and Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager. The idea is to blend them later.

Kegged this tonight for lagering. Mixed them together as they racked. Making a 1gal starter tomorrow to split between the two kegs for 'krausening'. So far it's got good CZ Saaz flavor, pils maltiness, and slight Czech yeast character. This will be great when the weather warms up here.

bigtime brewing today....

doing brews on two different sculptures.

sorry less, its a sculpture thing.....finish yours and join the club.

today's venture?

bear republic's racer 5 clone.

we talked to the brewer on friday, got some vauge direction

don't bother googling for a clone....just about every recipe i've seen out there is mathematically inaccurate.

I'm a brewmath.....it's numbers. mine are right.

pics to follow.

Quick question, i have been looking at stuff the last couple days. while looking at a carboy someone asked me why i don't just use those water jugs for water coolers. i assume there is a reason you dont see everyone using them, whats the reason?

Quick question, i have been looking at stuff the last couple days. while looking at a carboy someone asked me why i don't just use those water jugs for water coolers. i assume there is a reason you dont see everyone using them, whats the reason?

poly carb et al are easily scratched.

scratches give lactobacilli and pediococcus (amoung others) a place to escape from your chosen santizier, so they can destroy your next batch.

glass and stainless is all i'll ever use.

bucket boy will disagree with you.

PET is better to some degree

i searched i promises, but i never started an account so it gave me a crappy search.

i don't have a water cooler or know anyone with one to steal there bottle. i was just curious.

too many idiots on brewing forums...I've gotten into way too many emotionally-based "theoretical" discussions, that could be easily proven or disproven by numbers and other measureable attributes.

not only are there too many hippies in brewing, they're too easily butthurt.

and they hit the ban button quicker than they do at jeepforum!

:D

We had some fun on the NB forums. I wonder what Fatso's up to these days...

Fatso wrote:
it's ruined.... send it all to me. Beezil has quit sending me beer, since so many guys on brewboard have found out how hot she is. so i need to up the supply chain.

Beezil wrote:
Only a godless communist would use bleach.

using idophor or star san is more american.

<chuckle> For the most part, what BJ said. Avoid scratching plastic, period.

My plastic primary buckets will never, ever see anything more harsh than a dish cloth, and get cleaned as soon as I transfer out, before anything has a chance to dry. Even then, I probably should consider replacing them, the oldest 2 are almost 5 years old now and while I don't think the interior has anyplace for critter to take refuge, buckets are cheap.

Got another project. One of the bartenders is very gluten intolerant, gonna make him a batch of gluten-free homebrew. He's expressed a liking for Redbridge, a completely sorghum based brew (ABInbev product.) It's definitely a molasses beer, that molasses taste really does come through.

We had some fun on the NB forums. I wonder what Fatso's up to these days...

Fatso wrote:
it's ruined.... send it all to me. Beezil has quit sending me beer, since so many guys on brewboard have found out how hot she is. so i need to up the supply chain.

Beezil wrote:
Only a godless communist would use bleach.

using idophor or star san is more american.

None of that is even close to my best work

Back