• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VW TDI into a 99 XJ

Funny thing is, the jeep and yota manual trans are very closely related, the W/G series yota ones are close to an AX5 and the R series are close to an AX15. So you can play some pretty fun mix and match games with parts. It's probably actually more work to stay with the auto (without swapping the entire front half of an A340 in, anyways) than it is to convert to a manual.

87-90 the tach is run off the negative ignition coil lead, so it's 4cyl vs 6cyl specific. 91-96 it's run via the tone ring for the CPS, but it's conditioned by the ECU first (afaik this is because the notches in the flywheel aren't evenly spaced so that the ECU can tell which cylinder is coming up next, which would make the tach waver as the pulse rate changed between cylinders), and the signal is 33.3Hz per 1000rpm indicated. 97 and later, it's one of the many signals that's multiplexed over the CCD data bus.

Funny thing is, the jeep and yota manual trans are very closely related, the W/G series yota ones are close to an AX5 and the R series are close to an AX15. So you can play some pretty fun mix and match games with parts. It's probably actually more work to stay with the auto (without swapping the entire front half of an A340 in, anyways) than it is to convert to a manual.

87-90 the tach is run off the negative ignition coil lead, so it's 4cyl vs 6cyl specific. 91-96 it's run via the tone ring for the CPS, but it's conditioned by the ECU first, and the signal is 33.3Hz per 1000rpm indicated. 97 and later, it's one of the many signals that's multiplexed over the CCD data bus.

oh nice then, that makes things easier, other way to keep auto is to pay HPA like 1,000 for their adapter plate set up. although i don't see why i one cant adapt a jeep flex plate to the TDI crank.

I am looking to put a TDI into a 2002 Wrangler. I don't want to spend the coin on the HPA kit and I am using a different TDI than they did. I have the AHU, theirs is for the PD engines, so most of the kit would be useless to me. If you could let me know how you made your adapter or if you have a template or something I would love that. I have an NV 3550, which is the same bell housing as the AX 15. I have seen a couple swaps with this but no one is responding to me on how they made theirs. The main concern for me is the thickness of the crank spacer and the thickness of the transmission spacer. I can figure out the rest, it would be nice to have the centerline of the trans and engine, but i should be able to do that too. In all seriousness I would love to have all the info, so whatever you could give me would be great.

The reason I want to do it this way is to have all jeep parts in the clutch area for future replacement and the crank spacer will let me machine in a pilot bearing instead of a bushing which I like. Let me know thanks and awesome XJ.

the HPA motor sports billet adapters will work with your motor, maybe the motor mounts too as the bell housings and cranks didn't change through many of the years.

double check just to make sure, give HPA a call and talk to them. i did and they were more than helpful and willing to sell me just parts of their kits.

i'm in the process of doing the same swap but in a 1994. I'm stuck at the flywheel/clutch pressure plate what did you guy use? mostly did you have to use a spacer ( since the vw tranny input shaft doesn't really stick out of the bellhousing compared to the ax-15)

IF IT WERE ME.. I'd buy the HPA kit if it were an option. That's just me.

Why are you worried about the spacer thickness? I think mine is an inch, I forget and it's raining out. ;) I don't have a template as *I* didn't make it. The TDI side is available on the interwebs. The AX15 bellhouse, not so much. It apparently exists in the world, but I couldn't find a single person willing to share. Mine was measured by hand.

I am running a VW flywheel and all Jeep clutch parts. I am having the issue where ALL my clutch travel is in the top ~1" of the pedal, I am going to have to fix this someday, but until recently I haven't been able to work on the rig due to my job and 3-4 hours of commuting a day. :(

But I am back at it. The rig currently drives. But I have the odd clutch thing going on and my power steering pump is toast. I have a bunch of little things to fix but I have "driven" it. No real impressions to speak of as I am not producing boost for some reason. Like I said.. some issues to sort out.

I am looking to put a TDI into a 2002 Wrangler. I don't want to spend the coin on the HPA kit and I am using a different TDI than they did. I have the AHU, theirs is for the PD engines, so most of the kit would be useless to me. If you could let me know how you made your adapter or if you have a template or something I would love that. I have an NV 3550, which is the same bell housing as the AX 15. I have seen a couple swaps with this but no one is responding to me on how they made theirs. The main concern for me is the thickness of the crank spacer and the thickness of the transmission spacer. I can figure out the rest, it would be nice to have the centerline of the trans and engine, but i should be able to do that too. In all seriousness I would love to have all the info, so whatever you could give me would be great.

The reason I want to do it this way is to have all jeep parts in the clutch area for future replacement and the crank spacer will let me machine in a pilot bearing instead of a bushing which I like. Let me know thanks and awesome XJ.

Subscribing.
I've been watching HPA (Coty Built, whatever) develop and release their XJ kit and boy-howdy does it look sweet, but $cha-ching$!

I'm more and more interested in just getting their AX-15 adapter and crank spacer and doing my own conversion the rest of the way with an ALH-derived mTDI.

Thanks for sharing your project man.

I have a rebuilt low mileage ALH ready for this if anyone needs it uncut and LABELED wiring harness with ECU.

could save a lot on doing the swap by modding the harness yourself. Mind also has all the accessories on it like alt, ps pump

Wow, I really did wake up an old thread here didn't I!
To the original poster (and I apologize if I missed it.) How exactly is the front of the engine suspended?

Wow, I really did wake up an old thread here didn't I!
To the original poster (and I apologize if I missed it.) How exactly is the front of the engine suspended?

With motor mounts.

I also have the correct size air to water inter cooler.

There is a guy in Canada who for $400-600 will rebuild the computer controlled ALH injection pump into a 1 wire hookup manual injection pump motor. No computer to re wire or mess with. Just less tuning options.

Last edited:
Back