• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VW TDI into a 99 XJ

I know, I'm just sayin'. It's a pretty damn cool motor IMO.

I'll post pics of my buddies 68 bronco when we start the 4bt swap, Ken.

Putting any type of cummins into an XJ/MJ is just a bad idea. Giant motor, heavy, tall, bulky, expensive, way way too front heavy. Will probably fit but just a bad idea, I mean u less you just happen to have one just laying around ehh maybe not a bad idea.

Normally I'd say hell yeah put a cummins in it(for job security :D) but I agree. The B series engines are just too damn heavy. A B3.3 might be pretty decent though.

So progress continues.

The motor is running off the Jeep ignition. It is in place and 80% mounted. Intake and exhaust are still hacked for minimalist operation.

A little more progress.

Was delivered a tune by the tuning guy for the motor. It SHOULD be able to move under it's own power again by this weekend. That's the theory at least.

Sardo: I am in Templeton, North Central Mass.

hey i'll be up at FT Devens later next month, i also have a 99XJ and a newly totaled 03 modded TDI so..... i must to this, my brother started looking into it but got lazy and stopped. really like to see your set up.

so between myself and Alex22 we have 2 ALHs and most of a 1Z from a 96 passat.

well i just did this.....
4A4C717D-616F-4501-A243-008B61B6D582-496-00000034E5BBF8B4.jpg

so, now i have a 2003 ALH to stick in a jeep, has 17/22, PP520s, tune, rebuilt motor, ready for a stage 3 huge lift cam and some other things. just have to figure out how to get the power from the TDI crank to the Jeep wheels haha

also, is it possible to cut a stock VW tranny apart then weld that bell housing to say an AX-5 so it will bolt up correctly? then there would be no need for fancy and time consuming machining.

It's all funky cast aluminum, probably soaked in years of road grime and oil... I sure wouldn't want to try. Getting everything lined up, on axis, and collinear would be a bear, too.

There are preexisting kits but they all cost $$$$money$$$$ that's for sure.

ya thats the problem, i don't have a lot of $$$ but.... i have a brother who can machine most things. just looking into other ways to make this cost a little less.

i know someone has put a modded one into a Yoda, haven't looked into it that much but i'm guessing he did a bunch of custom machining.

If it was a Yota with an R150, R151, R154, or any number of G/W series manual transmissions, find out how he did it. If it involved a custom bellhousing to engine or bellhousing to transmission adapter, duplicating that should let you put the same engine in front of an AX15 or NV3550 (if R-series) or AX5 (if W/G series) using some factory bellhousing and input shaft. Check this out for more info and daydreaming fuel: http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

edit: hell, if he used a bellhousing to engine adapter plate and the yota bellhousing, there's a chance you could pull off such a swap using a yota bellhousing, the adapter plate he used, an AX15/NV3550, and a C/J/D regular size pilot bushing and bearing, since the short yota bellhousing plus adapter plate might make up for the longer Jeep input shaft on the transmission.

Ya I've been trying to read up on these threads but they are all like 25 pages full of links as well so I haven't had the time to study since I work now and have a few jobs.

Sardo: I feel your pain. I totaled my 2002 Jetta a month ago. Incidentally, I now own a 2010 Golf TDI.

I picked up the truck today. It's running. It's not as far along as I had hoped it would be, but the motor is in and running and that's what I truly wanted from the mechanic. So I am happy with that.

I'll take a video tomorrow and see if I can post it up.

Sardo: I just noticed your Ft. Devens comment. Feel free to drop me a line. I am about 20 minutes west on Rt. 2 from there. Feel free to drop me a line when the time gets closer.

how hard is it to put a Yota 5spd or other tranny into a jeep?
haven't done it yet, but have collected the parts to bolt a chrysler 239-v6 to a 1991 toyota hilux R150F that originally was behind a 3VZ-E 3.0L V6 :shiver:

should use all factory parts from various things.

I believe a 4.0 to toyota trans bolt-up would be about the same just with a 4.0-ax15 bellhousing instead of a 239/318/360-ax15/nv3550 bellhousing. Other parts are involved such as the input shaft and bearing retainer but it doesn't look too too complex.

I told my buddy we need to reletter his tailgate to read "DAYOTA" (the 239 and bellhousing/trans parts came out of a Dakota.) He was not amused.

i emailed Acme adapters on the AW4,
[FONT=&quot]Hi,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is all different, we do not do jeep bellhousing adapters but some of the Toyota 5 speed bellhousings fit the jeep AX-5 and AX-15 transmissions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If it were possible to install the Toyota 22R, 4 cylinder automatic bellhousing and use the Toyota converter to your AW4 maybe can help[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No adapters for the Jeep automatic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeff[/FONT]

so the kit they sell is the cheapest one since HPA sells one for $800 manual or about 1,000 for the auto. just have to find what Yota bell-housing fits onto a jeep now.

Oh, you have an auto... I forgot that.

AFAIK the Toyota bellhousing and converter will not fit the AW4. Check child9's build thread however - he has a 2JZ and an A340 of some variety in his Jeep with a significant number of hard parts from an AW4 grafted onto the back end to make it fit an NP231J. You could probably go that route.

With a late model you're going to be looking at some interesting stuff if you want the gauge cluster to work instead of going the way most late model engine swappers do and installing aftermarket gauges... start reading up on how the CCD bus works.

mine doesn't have to stay auto, i just figured it would be less work to just stick to it. but if there is a stock OEM part that has Yota bell-housing bolt pattern and Jeep trans on the other then i'd go for that.

how is the tach run on the 4.0? i thought it was off the tone ring on the flywheel

Back