• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VW TDI into a 99 XJ

well that's not CA rules then, half the inspection is visual here. they make sure every little piece is OEM or has a C.A.R.B. EO# on it, then they run that number to make sure it's for that vehicle. you guys have it easy if they don't do that.

Dude, that sucks. Inspection was a breeze, and i live in NEW JERSEY. They used to be real ball busters unitil they changed it to emissions only.

yea, i miss CT for that. plus you could always slip the guy a 20 and it'll pass no matter what. the thing that sucked was safety inspections, that was even worse than CA's smog crap.
everwhere sucks to some extent, it's just a matter of picking your poison. CA gets a bit of a bad rap, but there's a reason why i got the hell out of New England 7-8 years ago and never looked back.

I'm not horribly worried about it. There are a bucket of loopholes I can exploit if I can't get through "relatively" easily.

As to the turbo.. I have heard a lot of really good things so far. Granted 99% of my information comes from they having been installed in FWD cars so they may be tuned differently. But, like anything else, I'll jump that bridge when I get to it. In general, it's a "new tech" turbo so the rumors are that it's way bigger than stock, but has less lag along with more total boost.

My current Jetta now should be pushing about 170-180 hp. By estimations and dynos of other people with similar parts. It's driveable. It's no sports car, but it's driveable. It suffers from a WAY too small intercooler and the exhaust is way too small as well. The Jeep will not have those restrictions and the turbo is vastly superior as well as larger injectors. So I think my 200hp goal is pretty easily obtainable.

The performance of my Jetta is "useable", but if I cam mimic that performance in the Cherokee, I'll be a pretty happy camper!

Hey, Vanimal, I was wondering about this again, and I see your responses to mine above. Question:

I thought there was a Cali CARB rule that states that one can only convert a gas car to diesel or vice versa if the car came with that type of motor as an option. Jeep Liberty's, for example. Is that not the case anymore, (or maybe "ever".)

I was aware of the "motor is newer than the model year of the car" provision, but I wonder if you could comment on the above rule...Thanks, dude. :)

Some new updates.

There was an additional pause as I was convinced to create a new adapter plate for the motor that took out the tilt that the original has in it. I did a quick scramble to get the drawing created so I could have it made, but my CAD capable friends were a little more "Hell yeah I can get that done this afternoon" and a little less "Here you go man, it's done!" So I have decided to proceed with the tilty adapter and I'll fix it later. Or at least I claim I'll fix it later.

Regardless, the frame has been notched and the turbo fits (thank you Jebus!)

Aw shoot.. the pictures will follow in a bit. I forgot they have to be externally hosted.

Turbowithnotch.jpg

turbowithnotch2.jpg

Admittedly for a motor, it's a small turbo, but for a 2 liter engine it's huge. If I am not mistaken, a different version of this feeds the 3.0 V6 TDI in Europe. It's roughly 30% physically larger than the stock.

I have a 99XJ that I have a VW TDI installed into. The project is far from complete, I am just wondering if there is any interest in people following my progress.

Hell Ya !
I was just thinking about a diesel in a XJ, I bought a 2000 TDI Beetle last week for my wife and being the first diesel I have owned I am impressed as hell with this little knocker !

Sorry Dfar and XJ. I didn't see that the thread was posted in and, until now, there has been no progress.

I'll post up a couple engine bay pictures as soon as I can.

Apologies on the delay!

Hell Ya !
I was just thinking about a diesel in a XJ, I bought a 2000 TDI Beetle last week for my wife and being the first diesel I have owned I am impressed as hell with this little knocker !

Good. Now add some power to it! 90 hp is an embarrassment. My Jetta is (was until Thursday) running around 160hp and around 250 ft/lbs. It wasn't a rocket but it went with very healthy confidence! Still netted me 45+/- mpg and proved 100% reliable.

It met the ass end of an Audi the other night.. so.. yeah.

You realize the 4BT was never used in a stock mopar vehicle right?

The 6BT was, but as far as I know, the 4BT was more of a box truck engine.

put a 4cyl cummins in that jeep! keep it in the mopar family man lol

I tossed around that idea for a very long time.

I ended up not going there for a couple reasons.

1) Weight. It isn't wildly heavier than the 4.0, but it is heavier.
2) Height. It is a TALL motor
3) Lack of available HP.
4) Even stock that sumbitch is loooouuuuud! This is going to serve on commuter duty as well as a toy. If I make the 4bt make some decent HP, it's LOUDER.
5) The ALH is very flexible, can easily be made to make solid HP, lightweight and, ironically, the power curves match the 4.0 very nicely.

The Cummins is a great motor and has a lot of benefits, but not the route I went.

Kastein: The 4bt is literally a 6bt with 2 cylinders cut off. So realistically there is no difference. But, no, it was never put in a Chrysler "consumer" vehicle.

I know, I'm just sayin'. It's a pretty damn cool motor IMO.

Putting any type of cummins into an XJ/MJ is just a bad idea. Giant motor, heavy, tall, bulky, expensive, way way too front heavy. Will probably fit but just a bad idea, I mean u less you just happen to have one just laying around ehh maybe not a bad idea.

Back