• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck-lite's new LED headlight for XJ's

The other day I was at a range at Ft. Benning doing some night fire. On my way into the range, I saw a set of really, really bright blue/white headlights off in the distance so I was immediately intrigued as to what vehicle they were on. It turned out to be a medical humvee with led headlights. I was very impressed by them - they put out an insane amount of light. But I was really surprised to see them on a humvee, for the reason you mentioned. Granted, we're conducting operations in the desert so it's not like ice build-up is an issue but I was still quite surprised. :dunno:

But after seeing them in person, I can vouch that they are quite incredible.

Last time I was overseas (2009) all the convoy vehicles had LED headlights. Nothing like the ones in this post, they had 10 or 12 LEDs for low beam and another dozen or so for high beam. I just assumed that all of Big Army was making the conversion at that time...

And yeah, pretty damn bright!

The other day I was at a range at Ft. Benning doing some night fire. On my way into the range, I saw a set of really, really bright blue/white headlights off in the distance so I was immediately intrigued as to what vehicle they were on. It turned out to be a medical humvee with led headlights. I was very impressed by them - they put out an insane amount of light. But I was really surprised to see them on a humvee, for the reason you mentioned. Granted, we're conducting operations in the desert so it's not like ice build-up is an issue but I was still quite surprised. :dunno:

But after seeing them in person, I can vouch that they are quite incredible.

Last time I was overseas (2009) all the convoy vehicles had LED headlights. Nothing like the ones in this post, they had 10 or 12 LEDs for low beam and another dozen or so for high beam. I just assumed that all of Big Army was making the conversion at that time...

And yeah, pretty damn bright!

Wouldn't the LEDs reduce the vehicles heat signature as well as last longer, reduce electrical loads, and still produce tons of light?

Out of curiousity's sakes, when it comes to projector style lights, are there differemt projectors for halogens vs HID vs LED?

Wouldn't the LEDs reduce the vehicles heat signature as well as last longer, reduce electrical loads, and still produce tons of light?

Yea, all those are good reasons to go LED. But I didn't think it would be enough to convert everything over. I mean, led's put out less heat, but they still get hot - which is why high powered led's need good heat sinks to go along with them. But compared to a diesel engine, I doubt switching to led's is going to make an appreciable difference in your heat signature. Same with the electrical load - you're only saving a handful of amps. I'm just surprised that such a relatively small difference was enough to get Big Army to switch to them. Or maybe I'm just so surprised because it's actually a smart idea :laugh:

Out of curiousity's sakes, when it comes to projector style lights, are there differemt projectors for halogens vs HID vs LED?

I'm sure the focal point of those are all different, so yes, my vote is that they would need to be different. A weird thing about led's is that many of the actual diodes and/or modules come behind a built-in lens so it's more like combining several beams into one rather than just focusing a single source of light.

I think the Army is probably interested in the more obvious reasons to go LED: higher light output & higher reliability. No bulb filaments to die from NVH & no diagnosis. If it has power & doesn't work, replace the lamp. No igniter / ballasts or whatever.
Higher upfront purchase but I suspect that over the operational life of an LED unit, it is cheaper than the equivalent # of incandescent bulbs with the same light output. Maybe.

I think the Army is probably interested in the more obvious reasons to go LED: higher light output & higher reliability...

That was my thought, a small rock at speed can destroy a regular lamp, but would only take out a couple of the LEDs on those modules I saw. That plus longevity of the bulbs themselves and superior light output.

Interestingly enough I started seeing the 24bolt beadlocks and MTRs about that same time.

I have 2 extra sets from a failed group buy available. PM me.

Just wanted to ad to this. I started this thread almost a year ago. These lights are on my daily driver (40+ miles/day) and I turn them on the entire time im driving. They have a fair amount of time on them, and are holding up perfectly as expected. Zero issues, awesome light output.

I slightly favor the JW Speaker headlights on my weekend/wheeling rig compared to the Truck-lites, but they are so close in performance, its negligible.

Cool lights.. But 400.00 for headlights for me is to much. When they remove the price gouging and they are under 100. Per set I will getem .

Considering you could get a 50" LED light bar for the same price and put out 2-3 times the amount of light, I wouldn't get these for the price they are trying to sell them at. You could probably modify some square LED lights from different brands to fit into the original headlight spot for 150 bucks.

Guys, there is a reason why there are only a few cars right now running OEM LED headlights and all of them are very upscale (Audi, Acura, Cadillac?). The technology to make good reflectors for an LED is probably pretty tough and crazy expensive. None of those light bars you see for so cheap (cheap, china made bars...) harness the light, they just throw it out everywhere. Go ask them to make you a reliable headlight that has the output and pattern of an HID in a projector and see how much it would cost, if they could even do it.

Plus, you guys are buying them and they hardly have any competition, so why lower the price?

Guys, there is a reason why there are only a few cars right now running OEM LED headlights and all of them are very upscale (Audi, Acura, Cadillac?). The technology to make good reflectors for an LED is probably pretty tough and crazy expensive. None of those light bars you see for so cheap (cheap, china made bars...) harness the light, they just throw it out everywhere. Go ask them to make you a reliable headlight that has the output and pattern of an HID in a projector and see how much it would cost, if they could even do it.

Plus, you guys are buying them and they hardly have any competition, so why lower the price?

Don't defend..I have been around for many years and worked as a buyer for electronics ..they are price gouging.. Simple . When your first out the gate you gets to stick it to those who can't wait..or don't mind paying the premium.. And it's not a slam on anyone who buys them. I buy stuff that someone else will not spend as much on.. As for cheap imported electronics..they are 99% of electronics..and it don't indicate inferior product. " it's unfortunate it's become this way" but greed dictates its gets made over seas but still sold here for a premium . Do you ever think why things keep going up in cost..and why pay has to keep increasing..it's so those who make money from commerce..(in all its forms)can make more. That's all. It's the system. Ok rant done.
In a year or so these lights will be available for half the price or less. Because they will be much more in demand and many competitors ..and reflector cost..really. .nahh.that's all I was saying. Then it will be worth it to me.. As for those who have them rock on..I like them

I still don't think the output looks anywhere near as good as an HID retrofit. I'd rather spend my money there.

And when consider that a lot of OEM headlights nowadays are almost a grand or more EACH, these are kind of a steal.

Back