• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck-lite's new LED headlight for XJ's

You can also get "voltage converters" from most kitbuild/GA supply houses (light aircraft) that will take 12-14VDC in and offer a 24-28VDC output.

Current is somewhat limited - typically around 10-15A - but that shouldn't be a problem with HID lamps.

Start by checking with Wicks Aircraft or Aircraft Spruce & Supply, they're both online.
You probably need 13a or so for the ignitors. I use 12ga wire when I do HIDs.

Well... I sent an email to Speaker and haven't heard anything back from them. I think if I could do it with "factory" Speaker parts I would be happier (easier)...but if I don't hear from them I may just throw the lights in the pile of "to do" crap and maybe get around to revisiting the idea some day...*shrugs*

Well... I sent an email to Speaker and haven't heard anything back from them. I think if I could do it with "factory" Speaker parts I would be happier (easier)...but if I don't hear from them I may just throw the lights in the pile of "to do" crap and maybe get around to revisiting the idea some day...*shrugs*

Ted --- got your pm.
How did it work out?

Ted --- got your pm.
How did it work out?

Well it hasn't really.... Speaker forwarded me on to one of their vendors in the UK and I traded a few emails with him about it. He was out of the office when we first made contact and he seemed helpful. He said he would get back with me on info and price when he returned to his office. That was a couple weeks ago I guess?? Last I heard was he said he was waiting for prices or something. *shrugs*
I'm headed to the field for a few weeks so I don't know what to say about this except worse case maybe I can get more precise info when I return to the states early next year.
Thanks for asking though... I'll keep you posted when I know something more solid. :)

I got the new 4WD (4 Wheel Parts) Winter 2012 Jeep Cherokee Catalog yesterday. And guess what? Yep, Truck-Lite LED Headlight Kit is now listed under the NEW section.

What are some fog lights to pair up with the truck-lites? Im looking to match up the color temperatures. I'm guessing I will have to go with LED fogs as well.

Sorry to dig up a semi-dead thread. I just installed a set of these on my '99 XJ and am having a problem that I haven't seen posted anywhere.
Once both headlights were installed and the Jeep was running, when I turn on my headlights the high beams are automatically coming on. Also once both headlights were installed, my high beam indicator was barely lit as if a headlight was out. The catch is if the Jeep is turned off and I turn the lights on the low/high beams work perfectly. I messed around switching the lights and reinstalling one old halogen and the combo of lights worked fine while running. I'm no electrical person but is there some sort of ground issue? Any insight would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Sorry to dig up a semi-dead thread. I just installed a set of these on my '99 XJ and am having a problem that I haven't seen posted anywhere.
Once both headlights were installed and the Jeep was running, when I turn on my headlights the high beams are automatically coming on. Also once both headlights were installed, my high beam indicator was barely lit as if a headlight was out. The catch is if the Jeep is turned off and I turn the lights on the low/high beams work perfectly. I messed around switching the lights and reinstalling one old halogen and the combo of lights worked fine while running. I'm no electrical person but is there some sort of ground issue? Any insight would be extremely helpful. Thanks

That is a very odd issue. One question, do you have factory fog lights?

That is a very odd issue. One question, do you have factory fog lights?

Yes, I do. FWIW they are currently inoperable due to the switch going bad (well, that's my guess after looking at everything and researching what it might be). My plan was to get them working after this and switch them out to LEDs as well. I've seen some people mention fog lights while trouble shooting other headlight issues as I've researched this. It's like the Jeep isn't seeing enough resistance and it thinks a headlight is out/missing. Is that the correct train of thought?

Yes, I do. FWIW they are currently inoperable due to the switch going bad (well, that's my guess after looking at everything and researching what it might be). My plan was to get them working after this and switch them out to LEDs as well. I've seen some people mention fog lights while trouble shooting other headlight issues as I've researched this. It's like the Jeep isn't seeing enough resistance and it thinks a headlight is out/missing. Is that the correct train of thought?

Ok first thought, which is what solved my problem with my HID projector conversion with the highbeams staying on once activated, is to remove the relay for the fog lights. Don't know why it dawned on me to try pulling the relay when I experienced my problem but I did and voila! it fixed it!

But I would agree that your system does not like not having the resistance of the halogen bulbs. While I am not sure why yours is experiencing this while so many others haven't, my first guess to a fix if the relay trick doesn't work, would be to add a new separate harness like guys do for HIDs or to boost the power to stock halogens or H4 halogen bulb upgrades.

Ok first thought, which is what solved my problem with my HID projector conversion with the highbeams staying on once activated, is to remove the relay for the fog lights. Don't know why it dawned on me to try pulling the relay when I experienced my problem but I did and voila! it fixed it!

But I would agree that your system does not like not having the resistance of the halogen bulbs. While I am not sure why yours is experiencing this while so many others haven't, my first guess to a fix if the relay trick doesn't work, would be to add a new separate harness like guys do for HIDs or to boost the power to stock halogens or H4 halogen bulb upgrades.

Whoa, pulling the relay worked. Thanks so much, these lights are far too expensive to not enjoy. Sooo what does this mean going forward if I want working fog lights again?!? Bypass stock wiring all together or what?

Whoa, pulling the relay worked. Thanks so much, these lights are far too expensive to not enjoy. Sooo what does this mean going forward if I want working fog lights again?!? Bypass stock wiring all together or what?

There is a simple bypass alot of guys do to run the fogs even while the high beams are on since the stock design is to turn the fogs off with the high beams. I bet if you did the mod to bypass the high beam fog light shut off then it would fix the problem since it seems to cut out that small connection between the high beam circuit and the fog light circuit.

Only way to do this in a way that really works, is put the fogs on a completely separate circuit. Use a proper harness - they come with most fog light kits or can be found anywhere. You can even use the original switch (get the switch power from the next one over).

Any updates on how these lights do in the snow?
Do they ice up or what?

Factory Foglights and your LED lights. Your issues is how the factory designed the system. The fog relays coil is grounded through the drivers side high beam lamp filament. (This is also why that when the drivers side high beam burns out you loose your fog lamps) How it works is when the lights are off you have no voltage to the high beam and you basically have continuity to ground through the lamp filament. When the high beams are on you have voltage on both sides of the relay coil (which causes it to denergize) turning off the fog lamps.

The fix....
There are two ways you can do it. The last one being the most legal.
1.. Find and ground the red trigger lead from the fog lamp relay.
This will allow your fog lamps to operate regardless of the high or low beam as long as the parking lamp are on.

2..Again using the red trigger wire from the relay.
Use a additional relay to ground the OEM trigger wire when the high beams are on.
(30 to the trigger wire 87 to ground 86 to ground, and 85 to the red positive wire for the high beams.)

Now you can find the red trigger wire behind the drivers side head light, but the high beam + wire is also red as well. However if you pull out you air cleaner you will find the front lighting harness plug. On the body side of the plug that trigger wire is Brown with a White tracer while the high beam lamp feed continues in red. So if you locate and cut the wire there you can use the front end harness side as your new trigger wire, and ground the body side wire.

Last edited:
they don't blind when you have good projector housings. they also comply with FMVSS108 so i'm good.

Well that's different. Since there are HID Projectors and garbage drop in HID kits that don't include projector housings. So glad you have the projectors as I do as well for my HIDs. Not officially DOT approved so one could argue that they are still illegal on a technicality but since they meet DOT specs they do not blind oncoming drivers which is the safety hazard that makes the drop in HID kits illegal.

Hmm. Winter. Right.
Had it yet been mentioned that LEDs don't make heat and would be unable to melt snow off the lenses on their own? Any thoughts / experience here?
I have heard about traffic lights in some places going LED and getting frosted over badly enough as to be obscured...

The other day I was at a range at Ft. Benning doing some night fire. On my way into the range, I saw a set of really, really bright blue/white headlights off in the distance so I was immediately intrigued as to what vehicle they were on. It turned out to be a medical humvee with led headlights. I was very impressed by them - they put out an insane amount of light. But I was really surprised to see them on a humvee, for the reason you mentioned. Granted, we're conducting operations in the desert so it's not like ice build-up is an issue but I was still quite surprised. :dunno:

But after seeing them in person, I can vouch that they are quite incredible.

Back