• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toter home build

well, by the time I get home from the crawl, I should have everything here that I need to get started building the living quarters on my project. I did some rough measuring yesterday and should be able to lay everything out in a comfortable yet functional way. I am probably gonna look for some smaller windows for the bunk areas but that will not hold me up from getting the rest setup. I am really getting excited about getting started, I have been needing a good project to play with for a while

Here is the progress so far, had to quit early today as I have to take my son to the doctor for a shot, he got poison ivy out at Harlan this last weekend

Toterhome008.jpg

this is the interior step for the doorway into the raised floor

Toterhome007.jpg

this is the 21 gal water tank and I have a matching one for the waste water also, these will fit under the floor

Toterhome006.jpg

and this is the entry door I ended up getting, since they did not have the one I ordered, they upgraded me this one for the same price

Toterhome005.jpg

and you can see where it will be going

Toterhome009.jpg

Just gotta pick up a couple 2x2 and 3 2x4 and I can finish up framing the floor now. Tomorrow I will be cutting framing and mounting the door for it. Once I finish framing the floor, next will be insulation on the floor, roughing in the plumbing and then I can put the plywood floor. I am gonna get that flat styrofoam type insulation and glue it down to the original aluminum floor. That should work fine for the floor section and will not be affected if it ever got wet.

that door is mad pimp.

I had some ideas for a flip down platform to extend mom's attic to be used as a full sized sleeping area.

You can mount a hand winch to the side and use the existing tie down rings up there to run cables/pulleys. That's why my counter doesn't go al the way to the sidewall, I was planning on steps there.

Box rot trashed all of those plans though.

And because everyone loves pictures
Toterhome011.jpg

Toterhome010.jpg

Toterhome012.jpg

left a space between the tanks and the wall so I could route plumbing in there
I

that door is mad pimp.

I had some ideas for a flip down platform to extend mom's attic to be used as a full sized sleeping area.

You can mount a hand winch to the side and use the existing tie down rings up there to run cables/pulleys. That's why my counter doesn't go al the way to the sidewall, I was planning on steps there.

Box rot trashed all of those plans though.

I am leaving the upper attic the size it is for my sons bed area, I will be building another one on the rear wall big enough for my wife and I it will extend over the hood of the buggy when it is loaded. The door I got cost twice the one I had originally ordered but because they did not have any and had it listed with a buy it now option, they went ahead and upgraded it at no extra cost. They are definately a stand up company and I will be buying a few more items from them

Already got the door cut out and test mounted. Once I cool off and stop sweating, I will go out and take pics. Gotta take my son to the dentist today so I will pick up the seal strip putty for it and finish final mounting it this afternoon. Heck if I can get my deminsions figured out for the dinette, I might go ahead and get a window in today also, we will just have to wait and see on that one though

well, I could not stand to leave it alone today, since I have to wait a few days to pick up more materials, I decided I would start removing some of the vinyl to get ready to mount a window. It strted coming off so easy I got from the entry door to the front done in about an hour and a half, drivers side was not anywhere that easy to do. I will just keep removing it off until I can get back to work on the rest for something to keep me busy

don't blame you. when you do look for seats, hit up companies that do conversion vans since they usually pull the stock seats. i got a couple stock GM captains chairs, brand new in the plastic for 75 ea. not as plush as some, but i've done some mileage with them in my van and they work well. they give it a more modern look too.
Try these guys pretty cheap packages. www.discountvantruck.com/rvseatssofabedsbarrellchairs/furniturepackages.htm
I did a Ryder hicube box tow trailer toy box 3 axle torsion suspension for low profile and loading for my XJ in 92 to 93 and used a discount mart similar to this place. The name was Walt's RV they buy everything left over from manufacturers such as Fleetwood Monaco Dolphin and sell it to the public for 30 to 50 cents on the dollar. I paid 150.00 for a new water heater and pump. 400.00 for a/c 15000 btu 300.00 for heater don't remember btu's 800.00 for a brand new refer with upper freezer no door skin, shower stall with sink and pedestal for toilet all internal. It has a full galley in front with micro and counter oven, dbl sink. The tanks were 1.00 a gallon and the windows were 1.00 an inch. I don't remember what I paid for the door? Bought a 27 gallon under frame propane tank from a wrecking yard out of a class c for 20.00 and it had 22 gallons of propane in it, they didn't know or check! I left it roll up for about a year then made a drop down door/load ramp with the roll up spring to raise it. If you e-mail me I can send you pics unless some one can tell me how to post them. When I try it kicks them out or takes forever and does'nt load! Oh and 21 foot NEW canopy for 300.00

Last edited:
spent yesterday afternoon removing more of the vinyl off the side of the box, man I can't wait to get all of it off. Schedual at work changed so I have to open today and will be there until I can close tonight, so I won't get to work on it today. I will get back at it in the morning before work tomorrow. Been going over ideas in my head as how I want to lay out the countertop with sink stove and fridge. Just have decide how to incorporate the water heater and funace so that it all fits without killing too much storage space

Well here is a pic of the progress of removing the vinyl wrap from the passenger side so far, we already have a 1/4 of it done on the other side also

Toterhome.jpg

is this wrap like a big sticker? if so a heat gun really helps loosen up the glue. I work for a guy who wraps cars and thats how he pulls the old panels off when they get damaged and have to be re-wrapped.

these are so old and dried out that they have become brittle and just keep breaking off when you try to pull them off

looks good. you going to paint it? or just leave it bare? a coat of white paint over the whole thing would make it look 4365456455454654hd55 times newer/nicer.

Back