• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toter home build

it would be rad if you could put a flat bed on the back to haul the jeep but still leave 10 feet or so of box to make a small camper out of.
might be too much weight over the back though, you may need to push the rear axle back some.

wienerbox 2.0 will be this, with an ambulance body.

Awesome! 7.3? Didn't someone else start one of these projects with an identical ex uhaul?

87manche, search for the worlds ugliest toter it may come up lol

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059690

that's just mean.

The wife and I have decided on an Almond color for the whole thing and are gonna run around a few camper sales lots to come up with ideas for graghics. This is the one that inspired me to go ahead and do this

attachment.php

That's not bad looking. How are these things power wise?

That's not bad looking. How are these things power wise?

slow, with horrible gear splits.

180 HP, 300 lb ft of torque and something like a 30% ratio change between 4th and 5th. If you can't hold 5th up a hill you will do 45 MPH with the motor on the governor in 4th.

They go decent on flat ground:

73mph.jpg

we weighed 17K lbs on that trip.

It is no worse than my F350 was with the camper on it loaded with the trailer and jeep, it actuall used less fuel tham my old tow setup did coming back and I know this because it was the exact same distance that I traveled to Raush Creek and almost the exact same route and yes, I did have a jeep loaded in it coming back. As for the grades, it actually pulled them better also. All in all I did not lose anything by going this route and actually gained a itsy bitsy more MPG and 4 less tires on the road to keep track of

It is no worse than my F350 was with the camper on it loaded with the trailer and jeep, it actuall used less fuel tham my old tow setup did coming back and I know this because it was the exact same distance that I traveled to Raush Creek and almost the exact same route and yes, I did have a jeep loaded in it coming back. As for the grades, it actually pulled them better also. All in all I did not lose anything by going this route and actually gained a itsy bitsy more MPG and 4 less tires on the road to keep track of

Not to sidetrack too much, but was the f350 gas? What were your number on the toter?

Not to sidetrack too much, but was the f350 gas? What were your number on the toter?

The F-350 was a 94 7.3 turbo deisel, Now for the great news, went and salvaged all I could use that was worth salvaging, came home with a 16' long roll out awning, stove w oven, range hood with light and fan, water heater and a furnace, colman rooftop ac, double stainless sink, and also 4 large windows that I wanted and the entry door and frame, not sure I like the entry door though and 2 usable exterior access doors with frames. Now here is the unreal part of it all, $150.00 for everything.

you gunna keep the bench seat or put some nice captains chairs in there?
i take it those are full width axles on the buggy?

8-10 MPG depending on terrain and speed.

keep it 65 -10

do 70+ for a few hours with your foot on the floor - 8.5
I'm hoping with a smaller frontal area to get 12. I think it's possible. The tall box and it's drag are probably the biggest problem with going fast and getting decent mileage.

you gunna keep the bench seat or put some nice captains chairs in there?
i take it those are full width axles on the buggy?

I will probably leave the bench for now, it is in great shape and I would rather use the funds for doing a really nice Living quarter for now, I am not gonna settle for a hack job on this, I want it to be plush and very functional.Yup full width axles on the buggy

don't blame you. when you do look for seats, hit up companies that do conversion vans since they usually pull the stock seats. i got a couple stock GM captains chairs, brand new in the plastic for 75 ea. not as plush as some, but i've done some mileage with them in my van and they work well. they give it a more modern look too.

the bench seat is actually pretty pimp.

unless you're cutting out the back wall of the cab for a walk through I'd keep it.

It's comfortable for long drives, and my dogs like the middle part just fine.

unless you're cutting out the back wall of the cab for a walk through I'd keep it.

I was thinking of getting some kind of center console to put there since there is no where else for anything to sit like drinks and such

ah, nice, glad they made them well back then. the new penskee trucks have horrible seats, which is why i brought it up.
it would be awesome if this could be done with a 16 footer so i could fit it at my house, but everything would have to be suspended and raise up to the ceiling in order to fit the heep in there.

I was thinking of getting some kind of center console to put there since there is no where else for anything to sit like drinks and such

steal an armrest/cupholder deal out of a pickup truck and secure it to the middle of the seat.

or build a set of cupholders to hang from the bottom of the dash like MT4Runner.

ah, nice, glad they made them well back then. the new penskee trucks have horrible seats, which is why i brought it up.
it would be awesome if this could be done with a 16 footer so i could fit it at my house, but everything would have to be suspended and raise up to the ceiling in order to fit the heep in there.

it would be tough to fit all that stuff in such a limited space.

and keep in mind that uhaul says these are 26 ft trucks, but the floor is only 22', the roof is 26.

So the newer GMC 24' trucks likely only have a 19 or 20' floor.

Total length on t he S1600 is 33 ft. Mine is going to end up somewhere around 38' to have a 12ft living quarters and flatbed.

steal an armrest/cupholder deal out of a pickup truck and secure it to the middle of the seat.

or build a set of cupholders to hang from the bottom of the dash like MT4Runner.

I will have to go through his build and see what they look like, no hurry right now

the corner of the windshiled will hold a 20 oz bottle perfectly. Just jam it between the frame and dash.

a friend that spent 5 years in a moving company showed me that.

Back