• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toter home build

Fullsizexj

NAXJA Forum User
Making the road trip this coming Sunday to pick up my new Toterhome build project, sold off the F 350 yesterday. Gonna miss that ol truck, it served it's pupose and was always reliable.I am really looking forward to getting started on this

ok its official, pulled out at 3:00 this morning, drove 7 hours, paid for it, loaded my DD cherokkee in the back and drove 3 states with no plates and 7 hours later it is sittin in the font yard, what a long day but I am very happy with it
pics and details later, I am beat after 14 hours of driving since 3:00 this morning

Pics?

I have to get another camera, mine got lost at a wedding. It is an 89 Inyernational Navstar 26' box truck, one of the old U-haul trucks, looks just like this one
5L35I25E83G83K63L3c5f33a0f66b0e0b1b89.jpg

it would be rad if you could put a flat bed on the back to haul the jeep but still leave 10 feet or so of box to make a small camper out of.
might be too much weight over the back though, you may need to push the rear axle back some.

nope, jeep sits inside at the rear, you gotta remember that the balance point on an xj is at the control arm mounts on the frame at the front of an XJ, that puts all the weight right over the truck axle and leaves room up front for living quarters. I am not gonna cut off any of the box

I am going over to Ohio this coming Thursday, a guy has a complete motorhome he bought so he could get the drivetrain out of it, he is parting out the rest. I already am getting the rooftop air, double stainless sink entry door and frame, possibly the windows depending on what style they are and anything else I can use off it. Unfortunately he sold the 3 way fridge out of it already

are you going to do anything in the area where the jeep goes, like a drop down bed/sofa like a lot of toy haulers have? maybe a flip down table top? i guess it would be hard to have a bed drop down with a roll up door. how much room on each side of the jeep when it's in there? interested to see the layout.

still in the planning stages for the layout, I am going to get a bunch of stuff Thursday from a guy that is parting out a motorhome. I will have a better idea once I see what I can use

cool, keeping an eye on this. wish i had the room for such a big truck here, that's a bitchin idea. speed limit here is 55 when towing, so it'd be nice to not have to deal with that.

just pulled my jeep inside to see what kind of space I will have for living quarters. It looks like I will gain just a little more than my slide in camper had length wise which is fine. I do not gain much in length but the upside is I have a full 8' of width to work with which a slide in camper does not have due to wheel wells. Gives me enough room for a fold down dinette which will make into a bed and a counter with stove sink and a fridge. for storage I can put overhead cabinets and then I have the granny attic for another bed area, should work out great for me the wife and son and dog. I plan to do a deviding wall with a walk through door so that I will be able to strap the front of the jeep down. By having it devided means My roof top AC should work great since I will have a smalller area to cool down. Also since the ceiling height is so tall, I will probably build a raised floor for the living quarters which will allow me to put the water tank and gray water tanks below it and all the plumbing and wiring also. I can also make a floor hatch for more storage. Tomorrow I am going over to see what all I can use off that motorhome the guy is parting out and then I will be better able to work on my layout from there. I am really wanting to get started on this project now. Especially since I no longer have a truck to tow with which means no wheelin till this is done. At least I have a buddy that is gonna bring my jeep out to the crawl for me this year

Last edited:
The wife and I have decided on an Almond color for the whole thing and are gonna run around a few camper sales lots to come up with ideas for graghics. This is the one that inspired me to go ahead and do this

attachment.php

Back