• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To block or not to block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
xcm said:
yes, but he is not the goatman! and he isnt doing half the work goatman did to make blocks work for him. (like building up custom leafs)
hes on a fucking budgetboost, and i dont think you get that hes not on the same plane as goatman, nor does he have the same
goals/expectations/means

if you like blocks so much, and theyre so fine and dandy, why do you recommend he builds up a bastard pack?
not all xj's are built to the same spec, quit being a retard.

and for the record, to the OP, dont use the blocks.

You're so angry you're contradicting yourself. :roflmao: "RARR, A GUY ON THE INTERNET DOESN'T AGREE WITH ME SO I'M GOING TO OVERREACT!!" :D

Oh, and I don't think Richard was talking to fabbing gods when he wrote that. You so funny. :laugh3:

Welcome to the Jerry Springer forum:soapbox::rattle:

I have had 10" blocks on my d35 locked with 37" swamper's, and I haven't had any problems. Whats the big deal with blocks?

:D

I fail to see how building a wrap bar is such a huge deal.

IMO XJ's need them in general and if you have a locker it is almost a must if you want to keep the leafs from sagging quickly. I've had the same lift pack for over 5 years with a minimal loss if lift even with a spooled rear axle.

Lift blocks are not the Devil as some would say they are, but with soft leafs and no wrap bar they can cause a lot of problems. I wouldn't be surprised if over half the people jumping on the "blocks are bad" bandwagon have never even run them.

A 4" block on a stock pack with antiwrap bar will out flex a 4" lift pack any day of the week, and will ride MUCH better.

As for installing an antiwrap bar, it is as simple as making a crossmeber and really doesn't require much. If you can't do that then I guess a full pack is probably your best bet.

good lord....

I think you guys are forgetting that:

1. Blocks costs about 35 dollars for an XJ
2. Im only trying to run them for a year at most until I can afford new springs.
3. Im only looking to block it 1" to 1.5", Not 3" or 4"
4. My springs arent BAD, but they are ten years old. (98' XJ) and I want to get all i can out of them before i scrap them for the new lift in about a year.
5. I dont do any rock crawling, but I enjoy getting technical on trails and scenic rides.

All of this said, To gain an inch for a year, mainly only to provide clearance for my new tires that rub at times.... is it really that bad? is a 1.5" block really going to run my jeep in the ground?

I know everyone is set in their ways, but im talking amateur here... I know I am and I dont need my XJ to flex like your 6.5" Long arm kit.

Thanks for the replies though.

Just stay at 1.5 block or less.. Just think about changing them as soon as you got the cash... Yes it will hurt after awhile, i think the kid down the street has had his for 3 yrs now.. I've also seen some at 4 inch, that just scares the piss out of me.. I'm putting on 1.5 on mine when i install my rear bumper.. Spare tire and gas carrier that far back will make me a little low in the rear...Oh i don't have the CASH to blow on leafs.. Blocks are just fine for me

Hasta I've had a 1" block under my 2 1/2" springs for a couple of year with no problems, but I do re-torque my u-bolts when I do my post off road repairs. My son ran 2" blocks under his stock springs fo a year & it was nfg. If you've seen pictures of XJs that have spit out their 2 & 4" blocks on the trail you know what I mean. It really sucks. Of course my F-150 has 2" iron blocks from the factory.

For a number of years I ran the blocks that came with the Rough County lift kit (short 3" AAL and 1.5" spacer), which gave me 4.5".
In the long run, the short AALs did nothing good for the stock leaves, but I got a good 2 years of hard off-roading out of the setup.

Another option I have not heard mentioned is replacing the present AAL with a 3.5" Full length one from some place like Rusty's. They price of 3.5" AALs is something like $60/pr + shipping.

Yet another option is a 1.5" shackle lift, which will aid in articulation. Price is about the same as an AAL and will give you a component to replace your AAL equipped springs with 3-3.5" ones later for a total lift of 4.5-5" of lift with good articulation.

Best bang for the buck is going to be get a stock pack for free or beer or whatever. Just as much work to install as a block, and better for your springs in the long run. And reusable. Like I said earlier, or in another thread, I took an extra XJ main leaf, cut the eyes off it, and it added ~1" to my pack. Total cost- free, if you don't count the u-bolts or centering pins.

Will blocks work for that little bit? Sure, run em if you got em. But is it the best option? Probably not, but we've all been there :cheers:

Nothing wrong with using a 1" block. check this one out a "offroaddesign.com". they call it a zero rate add a leaf, because it ties into leaf pack and spring perch also. outstanding product. it's actually a 1" block, and not a add a leaf.you can even move your axle forward and back if you wanted to with this product. and yes it will work with cherokee leafs packs.

i've been running a 1.5" block under my national/deavers for about 2 years. the pack ,with blocks, sat under a couple of the crazy so cal lads rigs before mine. i was a die hard "no blocks,no way!" guy for years. a good set of blocks with wedge, properly installed are fine. my old rubicon express springs with no blocks wrapped on me on me ,so spring wrap happens anyway if your luck is off and you hook up at the wrong time. mind you, my packs are a 12 leaf, thin spring ,pack, so they probly aren't going towrap on me. now several companies make new perches that are effectively a welded on spacer (i.e. block). and the idea is ,as stated above ,that flatter packs can perform better. as long as you keep an eye on your rig ,the blocks are quality, not overly thick and installed properly, i don't think they will "spit out" !

offroad design zero rate add leaf which is just a 1" block really,can not spit out, since it is tied into the leaf pack and pin runs through it into the perch. again good product if your lookin for 1 " of lift. and it's not overly expensive for a solid piece of machined steel.

well it seems that the only people saying good things about the blocks are the people that have actually used them?

How many of you that say they are terrible have actually run them on your XJ?????

I could be setting myself up for disaster, or they could work just fine... but im willing to find out for a measely 35 dollars. Ill let you all know after wednesday when I have the new coils and blocks in.

OH... if anyone lives in colorado and is SOOOO against me putting in blocks, then Ill do AAL's if I can find a garage to use and some air tools... There is a case of beer in it for you... then I will totally forget about blocking the rear.

For the front, new 3" coils by pro comp and im tossing the spacer.

- Corrects shackle angle
- Improves Ride quality
- Improves Flex
- Adds lift

I don't see why more people don't go for this.

IMG_0205-1.jpg

ECKSJAY said:
The first time you back into something and your springs don't slide over it, you'll take 'em back off. :patriot: The 'improved' shackle angle sure makes a nifty catching point. :explosion

Ok....first off I don't think most people get into those situations......at least I don't b/c i think my trailer hitch would be a bigger problem. And by looking at the pic here, If I was to back into something and I don't slide over it.... I really don't think I would be making it over it anyway being the obstacle would be to high up on the tire.

PS....my crap flex here is do to short shocks.
IMG_0230.jpg

C85D4x4 said:
Ok....first off I don't think most people get into those situations......at least I don't b/c i think my trailer hitch would be a bigger problem. And by looking at the pic here, If I was to back into something and I don't slide over it.... I really don't think I would be making it over it anyway being the obstacle would be to high up on the tire.

PS....my crap flex here is do to short shocks.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/c85d4x4/IMG_0230.jpg

Sorry, I forgot that this doesn't apply to people who wheel in Flatsville. :D We run into situations with logs and crap where revolvers and shackles that are too long get hung up on them. It's not about 'oh my hitch would hit first', it's about solid objects on the ends of the bumper. :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back