• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires

i'll give you a broad answer...
my 99 will run 235's with no problem... ran 30'" MT/R's and it rubbed on heavy flexing of the rear off road and on highways when i took a good bounce from a bridge. "soft" rubbing that really didint damage anything.
a few guys with older (pre-97) models can run 30's without any problems except some rubbing on the front with the wheel at full lock. but livable.. and this is with stock wheels..
a lil helpful hint would be to give some specifics about your vehicle.. even though they are all "the same" the differences can make a big difference..

mike

on 84-96 XJ's i've actually heard of a few people throwing 31's on a stock XJ for street use only, that is street use only. I'd bet with a slightly aged suspension even a good speed bump or rutt in the road will cause some rubbing in the rear. Most people say the biggest you can fit stock is 30x9.5 because with that size you can still off-road pretty moderately.

Eric

eric91xj said:
on 84-96 XJ's i've actually heard of a few people throwing 31's on a stock XJ for street use only, that is street use only. I'd bet with a slightly aged suspension even a good speed bump or rutt in the road will cause some rubbing in the rear. Most people say the biggest you can fit stock is 30x9.5 because with that size you can still off-road pretty moderately.

Eric

I've heard from others that 245's are the best choice because anything larger needs gear ratio changes. So I'm weighing my choice between 235X70 15 and 245X70 15.
Thanks for your comments. RTS

RTS,

I have a '01 Classice with upcountry and I'm running 245/70-16's with only a very little rubbing on full lock. Nothing serious.

So what's the size difference between a 245/70-15 and a 30X9.5 and a 31X10.5??

I have a 94 Country and do some moderate off roading on some powerline trails near my house. No big flex, raock crawling or anything.

I want 31's and plan to do a 2-3" lift over the winter, but I need tires now.
:confused:

Back