• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much backspacing is too much?

RedXJ#25

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for new wheels for my 2 inch lifted XJ. Planning to run 30x9.5r15 and looking at 15x8 rims. Is 3.75 in of backspacing too much? Will I hurt components using this much backspacing? Thanks.

No you won’t hurt anything. 3.75” is pretty standard. Many aftermarket wheels have that backspacing.

With that said, it’s not ideal. Your scrub radius will be much higher which will negatively affect your power steering at low speeds and will put more stress on your wheel bearings. You might also find the tire rubs the inner fender liner and/or control arms at full steering cut. Or you might not. The backspacing can help by getting the tire away from the control arm, but the scrub radius hurts because the tire moves fore/aft in the wheel well as you turn.

It will be fine. I think 30x9.5 tires on a 2” lift is a cool look for XJ’s. I would probably prefer a 4.5” backspace, but it’s a pretty small difference and there are less options.

No you won’t hurt anything. 3.75” is pretty standard. Many aftermarket wheels have that backspacing.

With that said, it’s not ideal. Your scrub radius will be much higher which will negatively affect your power steering at low speeds and will put more stress on your wheel bearings. You might also find the tire rubs the inner fender liner and/or control arms at full steering cut. Or you might not. The backspacing can help by getting the tire away from the control arm, but the scrub radius hurts because the tire moves fore/aft in the wheel well as you turn.

It will be fine. I think 30x9.5 tires on a 2” lift is a cool look for XJ’s. I would probably prefer a 4.5” backspace, but it’s a pretty small difference and there are less options.
Thanks for the explanation! Very helpful.

I run 4.5" backspacing on my wheels on my 31x 10.5o mud grips with 4 " inch lift and it has never touched, rubbed anything even at full lock and flex

What wheels do you have now? You can easily run 30x9.5r15lt on stock rims with stock BS with a 2 inch lift. I'm giving up my 16 inch Icons and restoring a set of stock 15 inch steel rims right now. I'll be running General AT/X 30x9.5r15lt's with a 2.5 inch OME lift. Going with the Generals because they are a true 30 inch tire and almost all others are 29.5 inch diameter. 1/2 inch may not seem like alot, but I can keep the 9.5 inch width and only be 1/2" less (1/4" ground clearance) than most 31's. Sure wish they made AT's in narrower widths in 31's and taller like the do for sxs tires.

I'm running the T/M TM5-5866 trail master rock crawler black steel wheels in 15x8 with the new General Mud Grappler X3 all terrain tires in 31x10.5 r 15

Back