• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 4x4 sport with 4.0 auto trans issues looking for help.

bbqcookie

NAXJA Forum User
Hi new to forum and already looking for help
my 2000 Cherokee sport 4x4 is slipping very badly or stuck possibly in or between gears?
engine revs up fine but struggles to moves forward when in any gear
seems to want to move forward (when reved up) in any gear including rev and N .
I dropped the pan some clutch material in pan and on filter but not tons and no metal ( fluid is starting to darken but still has a red tint )
middle solenoid seems to always be powered no mater what gear I put it in (cable disconnected switching through gears manually from lever on side)
other 2 solenoids do not seem to be getting power in any gear
i have back wheels off the ground and when i put it in any gear except park with key off both wheels can be rotated forward with SOME effort but backwards freely is this normal? (i am turning both wheels at the same time so driveshaft turns and not just wheels )
Thanks in advance and happy to answer more questions or do suggested checks

more info
solenoid towards the rear of truck is not actuating when power applied (assume to be bad) and wire to it never powered in any gear selected (is this normal when not running just key on?)
middle solenoid always powered in every gear selected. actuating when power applied
front solenoid actuating when power applied (assuming it only gets power at speed when converter needs to lock up )
is it normal for middle solenoid to be powered all the time when key is on but not running ?
i can change back solenoid but worried i will put all back together new filter and fluid and still have same problem.
all 3 solenoids ohm out at between 11 and 13 ohm
Thanks

sorry team need to edit my last post got some things backwards and i think i assumed wrong solenoid was lock up solenoid
more info
solenoid towards the FRONT of truck is not actuating when power applied (assume to be bad) and wire to it never powered in any gear selected (is this normal when not running just key on?)(assuming it only gets power at speed when converter needs to lock up )

middle solenoid always powered in every gear selected. actuating when power applied

REAR solenoid actuating when power applied but never getting power when manually switching through gears with key on

is it normal for middle solenoid to be powered all the time when key is on but not running ?
i can change back solenoid but worried i will put all back together new filter and fluid and still have same problem.
all 3 solenoids ohm out at between 11 and 13 ohm
Thanks

If you have tested the Ohms of the three solenoids at between 11 and 16 ohms. There are a few other things to check.
First, I would pull the fuse for the Trans. I think #11, to the plug to the TC computer, on the drivers side trans tunnel. See if it drivers OK with manually shifting. It will not have kick down, so you have to slow down to down shift.
If it drives OK, then your issues are electrical. Check the battery volts first. Then you need to check the TPS, the brake switch, NSS, the TC, and possibly the ECM.
The 2000 trans has two speed sensors. That started in the '98 model year. They are on the drivers side of the trans. They are a hall effect sensor. So, either on or off magnetically to sense rotation. You need an analog volt meter to check them. Need to be able to turn the driveshaft. So, you could jack up the rear end. Mine was the rear one. Yeah, so much fun to change. Then the bolt was corroded in place and snapped.

Edit: I'd also check the trans fluid level. Look real close as one side sort of smears the oil up. Also, look at the level before you start the engine. It should be up on the Z bend. Then comes down when the engine is running. That means your trans fluid pump is working. I'd flush your fluid out. Or replace it at least twice with regular Dex3.

Last edited:
Sounds normal for the solenoids getting power. Should be the #1 solenoid powered to command 1st gear. What happens if you pull the fuse for the TCU and try shifting manually?

Trying to move forward in N and R is not a solenoid problem. The solenoids are actually not involved at all for reverse.

Back