• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throw=throw, not through

5-90 said:
Webster's? Who the Hell knows who Webster is anymore (or Roget, or Bartlett, for that matter...)

I do need to get a new dictionary - but do you have any idea how difficult it is to find an OED in English, not American, over here?

5-90

And that's why I have Webster's Twentieth-Century Dictionary Unabridged, 1937.

Still doesn't do me any freaking if you listen to this bunch complain about one little fawking word. Butt-heads.

Once, I hit my breaks so hard, my knew dictionary went threw the windshield!

MogifiedXJ said:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which usage he meant when he was talking about people "throughing" rocks off of a cliff...
I'm only an engineer!

SBrad001 said:
Butt-heads.
butthead.gif
butthead.gif
butthead.gif

Last edited:
OT said:
The inventor of the slide rule, or the creator of the thesaurus?
Just kidding, Jon.:D

The slide rule was invented by someone called "Roget?" I didn't know that (although I do still have the slipstick I used in high school - electronic calculators were streng verboten in maths classes...)

This may be a truck forum, but it's still a fact that all communication here is written - and if you write badly, people will think you think badly as well. Reactions are governed by appearance - if you put forth an effort in your writing, it will show.

There's not a lot of excuse to mistake common homopones like threw/through - not if you've passed grammar school (I don't know why I still call it that - they certainly don't teach grammar anymore...)

Living in California, I have to deal with the butchery of the English language on two fronts -
Native "speakers" who mangle the language
Immigrants who expect their mother tongue to be spoken.

Neither, as far as I'm concerned, are acceptable. If you grew up here and don't speak/write English properly, go back to the school that released you untaught. If you're going to move here from somewhere else, then assume what we would do - if I moved to Germany, I'd brush up on my German. If I moved to Bogota, I'd work on my Spanish.

I know English isn't the easiest language to learn (Hell, it hardly follows its own rules!) but it's the lingua franca of the United States, and you'd damn well better have a working knowledge of it shortly after arrival. "Working knowledge" typically meands 400-500 words and proper usage - we're not going to discuss poetry or physics, but you should know how to find the loo and order food (and understand me when I order food or look for the loo...)

5-90

CRASH said:
Once, I hit my breaks so hard, my knew dictionary went threw the windshield!
Now thats funny.

SBrad001 said:
And that's why I have Webster's Twentieth-Century Dictionary Unabridged, 1937.

Still doesn't do me any freaking if you listen to this bunch complain about one little fawking word. Butt-heads.

Hey I have a question, how was potatoe spelled in 1937?

Back