• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things you would change on your XJ?

BruteXJ said:
Disc brakes on all 4 corners.
Coil springs on all 4 corners.
No Infinity sound system ever.
Decent bumpers with integrated tow-hooks/D-rings/hitch receivers like the (gasp!) H3.
Rubberized/Rhino'd floors instead of carpet.
Every bolt on the vehicle should be either 1/2 or 9/16 just like my old CJ-7.

T-top, mullet wig and a "No Fat Chicks" sticker. Just because.

how about one of those 50's packard rear suspensions, the ones that actually raise the rear end when you really pack them fat chicks in.

no infinity? i heart infinity, best damn sound system thats worth more than the car its in.(youre prolly talking stock, im running 5.25 refrences all around with 2 1200w infinity subs. THAT is the infinity system that should have been stock.)

x2 on the rest, i f*ing hate the wonderful mix of metric and torx, having to use my axles as tow points. im kind of a t-top mullet kind of guy in the first place, so bring on the t-tops. how hanus would it be to cut out t-tops, and put the cj golden eagle on the hood. hells yeah. combine that with stock tires in a 295/50 and playing Quiet Riot out of the infinity system just loud enough for your ears not to bleed. then you deserve to have the mullet. only posers wear the wigs.

I WOULD HAVE NOT HAVE THOUGHT OF THE WEAK UNI-BODY! I would have either made it stronger, or not at all! I would have done it the correct way, body on frame!
I would have made the 5 speed trannys stronger! The gears in the 5 speeds tend to grind them self's apart no matter what!
It seems that jeep should re-name its self. Jeep was originally a slang word used by by the US military in WW2 that stood for "General Use Vehicle".
I would continue making the 4.0L I-6... 2005' was the last year any jeep was ever going to see that engine as chrysler is too cheap to continue making'em. They are replacing it with a POS 3.7L V6!
Why is jeep just getting worse every year!? its starting to embarrass me!
The new commander isn't even that great, the rear axle looks pretty beefy, but why put a rear axle in with crapy independent in the front? makes no sense!...

Lots of people mention wanting things that didn't exist when these rigs came out, like more power for instance. Geez, when the 4.0 came out in 87 it was THE biggest and most powerful engine available in that class of vehicle. It was also a somewhat overpriced vehicle aimed at the yuppie market, hence all of the available and hugely popular power goodies, and the unibody design was to improve it's on highway manners and reduce NVH. For a unibody it is not flimsy like a lot of them. Now everyone has seen which way the mainstream small & mid size SUV market has gone with more luxury and less (IMHO) off road capability, and the XJ was a hugely popular early entry in that niche.

So the basic design of the vehicle and available powertrain options (once they discontinued the 2.8 V6) did very well at what it was intended to do, and it's durability is mentioned every day on this furum.

Now if I were to look back to 1987 when my Jeep was built and thought about what could have been done in that time frame that would have made it better (without radical changes such as body on frame, available 350 horse V8, etc.), there are a few things I'd like, for instance:

A tiny bit more personal space in the interior. A couple inches more in width and length would have made a huge difference but since we can't change the platform how about a nice comfortable bench seat for above base trim, and elimination of the console that puts such a squeeze on a guy's middle age spread? Column shift for automatics, and just some attractive but unobtrusive trim for the shifters on manuals for a bit more knee room, not to mention purses and big gulps and such. Have not seen this in other than base Comanches and government fleet type XJs, but it would have been a nice option if you ask me.

In the early 4.0 rigs the Peugeot tranny was a huge blunder. Very under spec for the power & load. Seems odd to have a 4.0 and a D44 and that tranny. It does look as though they learned fairly quick, but what the heck were they thinking when they mated a lightweight European car tranny to that power and weight combination? They already had a good vendor in Warner, but knowing the T5 was too light why just replace it with another brand that's still light duty and not go with the AX15 to begin with?

Chassis electrical that's more robust. With the power windows, PDLs, rear wipers and other extras most of us seem to have, not enough juice gets into the cabin to power all that stuff. They should have done better and could have for a buck or two per car.

OBD (stored codes) on the Renix ECU. The technology was there and they should have had it. If the system wasn't so relable and predictable, not having that would be a real PITA.

And really that's about it. The XJ does what it is designed to do remarkably well, and is easily and cheaply adaptable to go well beyond those limits, so I can't knock it a whole bunch.

I'm easy, how about a frame.

If you've got to have a Chevy engine, how about a small-block instead of the danged 2.8. Got one now with spun rod bearings, waiting for the income tax refund to get a 3.4

5-90 said:
Given a free hand?

NOT used the Peugeot gearbox - I'd prefer a Muncie top-loader, even if it IS a four-speed.

Door hinges should be bolted at both ends, not bolted at one and welded at the other. (Yes, you can bolt door hinges to a unibody.)

Either set up a higher intake manifold (for less angle through the cylinder head) or design a cross-draft head. Either one will help to make additional power.

Two words - roller valvetrain. (for longevity's sake.)

5-90
I agree on the doors. I made the ones on my first Comanche that way long ago. (they kept getting dents! ;) )

The Intake to head design was semi-good, but I know how to make it much better. I'm designing one for my '84 J10 that will clear the brake booster AND add a few ponies in the process. (all it takes is money to make it!)

The Puke out was a definite mistake. The engineer who did that probably used the same conversion table as the ones that made the Mars probe that overshot! There was a HD T5 trans at the time (Mustang got them in '86!)

200,000+ miles not long enough? :)

littlebluexj said:
A real Trail Rated pakage,Dana 44 front Dana 44 rear,selectable lockes on both ends,standerd 5" lift and 33's w/flare pakage.A V8 and A 4:1 T-Case.Bedliner interior with easier drain holes(placed better for draining)....
Thats all of my money .02
William

Sounds like a Rubicon version of the XJ! ;)
When they switched from the NP229 to another case, they should have kept the fixed rear yoke! A Jeep NP208 for us Comandtrac guys would've been nice. Real locking hubs too! (I'm making a D44 work in my front with Dodge 5 on 4.5" knuckles and locking hubs)
Carrying on with the AW series and going to a 6 speed auto (like Lexus uses) and a 4.5L stroker 6 motor (Jeep had them in Mexico at the time) A nice semi float D60 (like the one I stupidly sold from my B body Mopar big block before realizing it would fit under my Jeep and even have the same bolt pattern! The 11" drum brakes would be an okay upgrade too) with a decent ratio.
Maybe even a split range box (old semi truck drivers that had Brownie boxes know what I mean)
A minicamper Comanche would've been cool. Even moreso with an extended cab (I've been drooling over grafting a 2 door Cherokee onto a Comanche up to the door post)
A heater core that would be a quick swap would be nice too (I think the one in my Comanche is starting to leak. Good thing only another month till spring starts!)

As for EFI, the Renix system was far and beyond better than the 4.2L carbed POS the YJs (and AMC cars) got! Better brakes would've been a must.

I didn't even know Muncie made a toploader. I thought Ford had that design.

5-90 said:
Given a free hand?

NOT used the Peugeot gearbox - I'd prefer a Muncie top-loader, even if it IS a four-speed.

Door hinges should be bolted at both ends, not bolted at one and welded at the other. (Yes, you can bolt door hinges to a unibody.)

Either set up a higher intake manifold (for less angle through the cylinder head) or design a cross-draft head. Either one will help to make additional power.

Install an "overdrive/underdrive" or a "gear splitter" between the transmission and transfer case, to allow for heavy towing or long-range freeway cruising (or, better selection of axle gearing.)

Two words - heavier axles. Dana 44/60?

Three words - more common parts. AMC was jokingly meant as "All Makes Compatible" - using some more Chevvy parts would make field service easier, and would make parts easier to find (Chevvy parts are easier - and usually cheaper - than ChryCo parts, and don't get me started on RENIX...)

Fewer vacuum lines, and make a "core harness" out of copper or steel. Get rid of those hard Nylon lines - I never did like those...

Elimination of the C101/bulkhead pass-through plugs for something a little more solid and sealed - even plastic Amphenols would be an improvement.

Provision for power to upper-deck lighting (exterior.) Again, Amphenols are a nice choice for this.

What else? I'd have to think on this for a few days...

5-90

First off, I'd like to say I like my '89. It has it's quirks but I deal with 'em. Longevity? A 250k average is good by me.(land of no rust, Colorado!, junkyard speedos) Hell, that puts 'em in the realm of Hondas for reliability. I looked at a '93 a buddy wanted to buy today and it became clear to me, I like what I drive and not what Chysler turned it into. So that being said, keep talking, Dr. Zzzzz is listening... don't wake him-up!:laugh:

5-90 said:
Given a free hand?

Install an "overdrive/underdrive" or a "gear splitter" between the transmission and transfer case, to allow for heavy towing or long-range freeway cruising (or, better selection of axle gearing.)

Two words - heavier axles. Dana 44/60?

Three words - more common parts. AMC was jokingly meant as "All Makes Compatible" - using some more Chevvy parts would make field service easier, and would make parts easier to find (Chevvy parts are easier - and usually cheaper - than ChryCo parts, and don't get me started on RENIX...)

Fewer vacuum lines, and make a "core harness" out of copper or steel. Get rid of those hard Nylon lines - I never did like those...

Elimination of the C101/bulkhead pass-through plugs for something a little more solid and sealed - even plastic Amphenols would be an improvement.

Provision for power to upper-deck lighting (exterior.) Again, Amphenols are a nice choice for this.

What else? I'd have to think on this for a few days...

5-90
if you changed everthing you see here,it'd be a chevy!

[

Metal tubing for the core vacuum system.

How is this for vacuum lines!!:cheers:

IMG_0047.jpg

After this pic I finshed redoing the rest of them in stainless also.

What about a better exhaust manifold? :twak:

mcnamaag said:
What about a better exhaust manifold? :twak:

Nicely done - I've been thinking something similar, but in copper.

Not a lot wrong with the OEMR manifold - keep the engine mounts up, and it shouldn't crack on you.

However, I'd not mind seeing the engine "split in half" with two equal-length headers to help with scavenging, and delete the damn EGR (which isn't really needed at our compression levels, and just craps up the intake with carbon and crud anyhow.)

As far as my longevity concerns, 300kmiles on the original engine should be a bare minimum (with regular maintenance, of course - none of this "maintenance free" crap they keep trying to foist on us) for any truck. I was honestly pushing for a million miles without an overhaul, and producing a vehicle you don't sell, you drive into the ground.

Granted, I also tend to think that "planned obsolescence" is a foolish notion - but I've never wanted to get rich by selling crap. I'd rather make less money selling damn good stuff than make all sorts of money by selling crap that you have to replace every three years or so. Pity no-one really agrees with me...

I should probably sit down with a clean sheet of D-size one of these days. I know the ideas won't happen, but it's an interesting thought experiment, and I honestly think it would be interesting to revisit this in a few months and compare notes...

5-90

heyjpark1 said:
Better paint/primer/clearcoat on the earlier XJs?

That's not just an XJ thing - that's American automakers in general. They were transitioning from the lacquer they'd used for the last 40-50 years or so to a "two-part" urethane - which was a shonky coat until they managed to come up with a working clearcoat.

There were an amazing amount of paint-related recalls on "big 3" vehicles from ~1982 to ~1993 for that very reason.

5-90

How about not putting the cup holder over the ebrake.
Those crappy fog lights!
A rear window that opens or rolls down.
A steel front header panel so that the dam front grill piece screws dont strip out!
A factory CB option!

i know this has been mentioned but a v8 lol and no more damned torx screws! also using thicker metal on the unibody rails ( probably thinner for saftey reason like crumpling up in an accident.but who cares!) oh and stronger exhaust manifolds on the I6

if you want a v8 buy a ZJ...

i would want a half open rear hatch like the zj, rear discs like the zj, coils all around like the zj. i think everyone sees were this is going... ZJ suspension, brakes, possible motor, with the XJ body style... you gotta love the box.:loveu:

How about a good set of engine mounts. 3X so far.

better disc breaks
cup holders
be able to use top and bottom vents at the same time.

Jeeps are built, not bought.

One of the best things about owning a Jeep is that NOONE has a Jeep exactly like mine.

I love being able to take a stock Jeep and transform it into whatever I want.

I think I would be less happy with a "perfect" Jeep because I would be bored out of my mind not being able to work on it!

Back