• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things you would change on your XJ?

AZ Jeff said:
Cross flow heads are pretty hard to do on an in-line engine without OHC. In other words, by the time you modified the 4.0 to have a X-flow head, (and did the OHC needed to accompany intake and exhaust ports on opposite sides of the head), you might as well start with a new engine, as what you would have would not resemble the 4.0 very much.

Again, "if you were an engineer at Jeep..."

This means that the AMC242 would have taken a different course - more like the old "Tornado" OHC six than the OHV AMC sixes - but even the 230 OHC was a great engine. It suffered the curse of being ahead of its time.

Granted, I'm not a huge fan of OHC - and it would be (theoretically) possible to do a cross-draft head without it.

Failing that, I'd like to have seen a pushrod cover like on the old Chevvy sixes - so you wouldn't have to pull the head to change lifters.

Again, this was "if you were an engineer" - so it wouldn't be so much a "redesign" or "modify" as "design" - consider a cross between the AMC OHV six and the old Tornado OHC six, then.

5-90

leadfoot77 said:
Its "diesel" Pal

Try again - properly, it's Diesel. It's not only a common name, it's a proper noun.

In engineering circles, it's a "Diesel cycle rcompression-ignition engine," named for its inventor, Rudolf Diesel.

Rudolf Diesel - Diesel cycle compression-ignition engine
Nikolaus Otto - Otto cycle spark-ignition engine (what we're all used to)
Felix Wankel - Wankel cycle spark-ignition engine (Mazda RX-series, Cosmo sedan, and Rotary pickup.)

Funny, they're all German...

5-90

Definitely agree on the heater settings. Also would have gotten a more robust center console...my cup holders didn't work, period, now they're broken, the lid is now also broken off. Its sad when the "spartan and rugged" Wrangler has better cupholders than a vehicle that was designed with the idea of family hauling in mind. Not run the rubber hoses that control cruise control, A/C, and vents under the battery that eventually will leak battery acid on it and eat through the hose causing all of that to quit. Bigger wheel openings so we can fit decent size tires without hacking everything out or lifting things too high.

5-90 said:
Again, "if you were an engineer at Jeep..."

This means that the AMC242 would have taken a different course - more like the old "Tornado" OHC six than the OHV AMC sixes - but even the 230 OHC was a great engine. It suffered the curse of being ahead of its time.

You mean the OHC six used in the Pontiac Tempest? (I don't know of a six called the "Tornado") Yeah, that engine was nice, and WAY ahead of it's time.

5-90 said:
Granted, I'm not a huge fan of OHC - and it would be (theoretically) possible to do a cross-draft head without it.
The biggest challenge to getting a Xflow head on a pushrod engine is getting the one set of runners out past the pushrods. It's easier to do on a V-8 because the crank throws space the cylinders out more in the V pattern. When in-line, the spacing gets tight, and the runner passages start looking like worm burrows.

5-90 said:
Failing that, I'd like to have seen a pushrod cover like on the old Chevvy sixes - so you wouldn't have to pull the head to change lifters.
Now THAT would have been EASY to do. Both Ford and GM sixes had those pushrod/lifter gallery covers (did the slant six have them too?). AMC was just being CHEAP when they deleted that feature.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
A swing out spare carrier like a blazer, and a different rear axle (dana 44).

Well arn't I lucky, I have both from factory

Edit: I haven't done it myself, but I saw a tool on Trucks (Spike TV) Stacy was changing the lifters on a 258 without taking the head off. I forget who makes and sells the tool, but as far as I know, it should work on a 4.0 shouldn't it??

Nah - as I recall, the "Tornado" OHC six was a Willys/Kaiser engine, 1965-1967.

There's no reason that either A) we could have had a "split" exhaust runner, or B) a "splayed valve" head, or C) some other way to make things flow better, without overcomplicating the design.

Don't get me wrong - I LIKE the AMC 242 - I just think there's a fair bit of unrealised potential there. ChryCo didn't find it either, when they went with the HO setup, y'ask me.

Granted, there are several other idiosyncracies that I'd be happy to be quit of, but these are just the "top of my list."

5-90

yeah the hard to do cross flow, i mean exhaust on the other side it would be hard but well worth it, what about better gaskets and seals like everywhere with all the leaks 4.0 develops and bigger cables from the battery to all the electronics I replaced mine with 0 gauge ones but man was it a pain and something jeep should have done. Maybe, may i say it even something like a rubicon package...

last just better bumpers a piece of crappy metal with plastic on the edges that cracks really easy, changes colors(fades), and doesnt help you do anything, unless you looking to pull off your bumper!

I'm on my 5th XJ, and I've only sold-off one of them...so here goes:

(1) A genuine CHASSIS - enough of this unibody 5h1t, I'm tired of busting the frame rails at the steering box.

(2) Heat that works. (the newer cars get hot, but i want all the vents to work independently)

(3) Transmissions that don't downshift when you're going downhill in 2nd...I hate trying to clean the beer out of the dashboard. I only put up with it because automatics are better (that should start a flame war).

(4) a 242 that doesn't make me worry when I use it off road. (I do like AWD on road...improves the launch factor in the wet.)

(5) Something better than a U-joint...maybe something like the "marfield" from Marlin Crawler in Fresno. I hate cogging.

(6) a DiESel. I like low-end torque. It's worth the extra money for the fuel, and I do biodiesel occasionally.

(7) Lockers front and rear.

(8) Electric ride height adjustment to about 4" over standard.

(9) A wee bit more space.

(10) Fanny warmers.

uvaldetxj said:
Well, i'm pretty happy with my '87 XJ 2 Door (I6-AW4-NP231-D44).

AHHHH! EVIL TWIN!!

1) Tow points, definately.
2) Galvanized body parts, where I come from rust is a major factor.
3) Renix SUX!!! F'n birds nest of wires and vacuum lines.
4) Not so slammed factory suspension. My Wagoneer came with 205/75/15 car tires.
5) Definately some decent cup holders.

Better noise reduction in the cab, no over-heating problems that are infamous in XJs, no d35 in any of them, only d44's, standard leather seats with heat, vibration and neck air conditioning, sunroofs standard, bigger wheel wells so that 30's would be the standard tire size, not 28, and a dvd player with complete sound system. And no squeeks.

Brakes that stop about 50 ft shorter!

AC accessory bracketry with about 6 fewer bolts!

Split doors like a utility van instead of a gas-charged support tailgate that decapitates you in winter!

An exhaust manfold made of cast iron that wont crack even if you pissed on it glowing hot! To hell with this tubular antler looking thing.

All metric, or all english fasteners, instead of a fastener Frankenstein!

4wd you can run fulltime at highway speeds!

Crank windows instead of electric pipe cleaner windows!

Column shift instead of the console "boat throttle" shifter.

And lastly, a passenger side zero/zero ejector seat, i've needed one more than a few times.

92DripCherokee said:
All metric, or all english fasteners, instead of a fastener Frankenstein!

4wd you can run fulltime at highway speeds!

Crank windows instead of electric pipe cleaner windows!
QUOTE]
If you have an NP242, you CAN run fulltime at highway speeds. Crank windows were available as standard eqpt. on the XJ. The power driven windows were an extra cost option that most persons seem to prefer.

All very good suggestions but someone please explain if the gearsplitter idea is at all possible. I love the ol' xj, but it needs a fifth gear or something on the highway, it should really cruise better at higher speeds without all the strain! Can you make the aw4 an aw5?

Fred85 said:
a setting on the HVAC controls so that the heat will blow feet/top at the SAME time, so annoying.......

better door seals to cure that interstate wind noise

REAR DISC BRAKES!!!!

On my 99' if I put it on the A/C on the feet/upper setting heat comes out (what seems) unaffected. :)

X2 on the REAR BRAKES and all the interstate Road noise

Oh yea I almost forgot what about O/D in the auto.

crawldaddy said:
(3) Transmissions that don't downshift when you're going downhill in 2nd...I hate trying to clean the beer out of the dashboard. I only put up with it because automatics are better (that should start a flame war).

and why exactly is there an open (whatever) of beer while your driving?.... that aint cool man... :explosion:

Disc brakes on all 4 corners.
Coil springs on all 4 corners.
No Infinity sound system ever.
Decent bumpers with integrated tow-hooks/D-rings/hitch receivers like the (gasp!) H3.
Rubberized/Rhino'd floors instead of carpet.
Every bolt on the vehicle should be either 1/2 or 9/16 just like my old CJ-7.

T-top, mullet wig and a "No Fat Chicks" sticker. Just because.

Back