• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things you would change on your XJ?

tow points should just be standard on every jeep made. All of them! I would have paid extra for the skidplate package, but I am the second had owner.

Manual Hubs

Better positioning on the alternator, starter, and all other electronincs.

sealed electronics/wires,

rustproofing or good stainless on everything exposed to the elements.

crossflow head- or maybe just a hole somewhere to let some cold air under the hood.

let the heat blow at both my feet and my head-as mentioned before.

make 30" tires standard, off road package with 33"s

no plastic trim, bumpers or other parts that will crack, fade, rattle etc.

more leg room.

better brakes

4.7 stroker as an option (forget the V8)

better seals (rear main)

wiring/ mounting points for exterior aftermarket lighting.

Tow Points

bumpers that can take a little abuse before denting.

easy access to common maintinance items

there's a lot more, but that's all i got for now.

Well, i'm pretty happy with my '87 XJ 2 Door (I6-AW4-NP231-D44).

I'd like....

Factory Sunroof
Lower Gears, (3.54 is fine for stock, but 4.10 or 4.56 would be excellent)
A solid stock front bumper with a 2" receiver.
Friendlier Electronics.
Removable Roof :laugh3:

No major complaints though, I LOVE MY JEEP!

Axles like said before and a offroad package, with the factory winch from the early models, 33's, 15x8 rims, wider flares etc. Oh and the Wind noise and rocker rot really be high on my list.

5-90 said:
Yeah, I know.

I'm just one of those strange people that doesn't mind spending a little more, when I'm getting a little more for my money. Go figure.

5-90

Uh...

Part of your list (axles, extra gears) is kinda hard-core for what was, face it, a fairly cheap vehicle. Basically all the things you'd do to beef it up for serious off-roading.

Another part of your list (Pewgoat tranny, 101 connector, I think door hinges) WERE UPGRADED at one time or another... get a newer Jeep!

And some others are just unreasonable. Roller valvetrain for longevity? What, 300k-400k ain't enough for ya? Engines that live as long as the 4.0 are hard to come by! That cross-flow head would likely increase horsepower... but would probably do so at high RPMs... and lose some of the grunt that we love.

---
What would *I* change about my 2000?

Re-install some of the sound-deadening that was removed as the Cherokee slowly marched downmarket after the ZJ was introduced (hood pad, etc).

Certainly fix the spring-mount issues that seem to plague almost everyone installing a lift.

Better seats. Contemplating the Honda swap - but what about seatbelt buckles? They mount differently than my '05 Accord...

Factory-engineered twin-electric-fan setup... for efficiency.

Den

What about a better design on the clutch M/C? I have gotten into the habit of keeping extra fuse box shields around for my friends with the '96 and older XJ's. That and NOT putting the damn fuse box under the M/C in the first place!

DenLip said:
Uh...

Part of your list (axles, extra gears) is kinda hard-core for what was, face it, a fairly cheap vehicle. Basically all the things you'd do to beef it up for serious off-roading.

Another part of your list (Pewgoat tranny, 101 connector, I think door hinges) WERE UPGRADED at one time or another... get a newer Jeep!

And some others are just unreasonable. Roller valvetrain for longevity? What, 300k-400k ain't enough for ya? Engines that live as long as the 4.0 are hard to come by! That cross-flow head would likely increase horsepower... but would probably do so at high RPMs... and lose some of the grunt that we love.

Den

The original question did assume "if you were an engineer at Jeep..."

The cross-flow head would make for more efficient intake (by not heating up the manifold) and while we're on the "clean sheet of paper" head, there's no reason it can't breathe as well as - or somewhat better than - a 7120 head. That will make more power at the same speeds we all like (off-idle - 3000 rpm.)

Longevity? Sure - I'd like to see XJ's out there with "Million-Mile Plaques" - a documented 1,000,000 miles without an overhaul or major service or replacement. We're almost there, and the original 4.0 is off to a good start for an MMP.

The axles, extra gears, what-have-you aren't meant strictly for off-road use, either. I was thinking of the "utility" in "sport utility vehicle." Towing, pushing, pulling, all of that jazz.

And, the Peugeot, welded door hinges, and (maybe) the C101 should never have been used - all bad ideas.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

5-90

would have seperate fluid bottle for rear wiper/washer, instead of running hose the entire length of the Jeep(Jeep is a registered trademark of DaimlerChrysler...lol)

Rear disc brakes or larger drum brakes.

Front seats that will hold up to fat butts like mine.

D44 axles

Metal tubing for the core vacuum system.

SYE

Steel liftgate (on the the earlier models)

5-90 said:
The original question did assume "if you were an engineer at Jeep..."

The cross-flow head would make for more efficient intake (by not heating up the manifold) and while we're on the "clean sheet of paper" head, there's no reason it can't breathe as well as - or somewhat better than - a 7120 head.
Cross flow heads are pretty hard to do on an in-line engine without OHC. In other words, by the time you modified the 4.0 to have a X-flow head, (and did the OHC needed to accompany intake and exhaust ports on opposite sides of the head), you might as well start with a new engine, as what you would have would not resemble the 4.0 very much.

Back