• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things that I LOVE about stock XJ's

1. I finally own one. (it took a while before i could afford one, but now that i do I wouldn't own anything else.)
2. My wife loves it. --She complains to me that she doesn't get to drive it enough. (its our only vehicle)
3. It looks great with my canoe on top of it.
4. I'm 6'5" and I fit pretty well in it. (though i could use about 4 more inches of head room to feel perfectly comfortable in it)
5. I don't have to say i own an SUV...I don't, I own a JEEP. Enough said. SUV's are for "girly men" and soccer moms. Jeeps are for real men and normal women.
6. Snow, rain, ice, or just pain dry roads, it doesn't matter to an XJ. It just wants to go out and play.
7. I don't have to "flop" down into it like my old toyota.. Just slide in nice and easy.
8. Other then the VW beetle, its one of the only vehicles that the newest model looks pretty much like the oldest model.
9. to quote a line from Back to The Future...."where we're going, we don't need roads"
10. I now understand what it 'It's a JEEP thing" means. It really is something you don't know about until you own one.
11. There is a site like this where even guys like me who don't have any mechanical experience, or have a rig thats all done up, can come to ask questions and actually get answers.
12. Its not a Hummer. You get hummers, not drive them.

First of all is a jeep, i used for school no mayor mechanical problems i am on 31 i dont do hard wheeling because i am to busy working or school but still play for a little bit in mud i like the room

I traded it for a 2wd Nissan pickup.

After buying it and replacing the sagging springs with a mild OME lift, I hooked up the tent trailer and drove it to Colorado. Did the Alpine Loop, Imogene Pass, Yankee Boy Basin, and a bunch of trails at the the 2003 MHJC All4Fun event. Then drove it home.

Smoked a Chevy 1500 off the line.

Can load it to the gills and still take it off-road

A Dana 44 axle only cost a $120 at the Junkyard.

It's black, so it looks good for a night out on the town.

Rear labrador seating.

Shift on the fly 4wd

Easy to mod.

1. Never seen anyone put 23" chrome rims and lo pro tires on.
2. easy to paralell park (excursion?:( come on)
3. Bulletproof engine
4. took a 99 z-71 in the 1/8
5. hell, it's a jeep. thats all there is too it!

cjwalkeriii said:
1. Never seen anyone put 23" chrome rims and lo pro tires on.
2. easy to paralell park (excursion?:( come on)
3. Bulletproof engine
4. took a 99 z-71 in the 1/8
5. hell, it's a jeep. thats all there is too it!

i hate to bust your bubble, but i saw a green one here in germany.....i felt like i had to put the poor jeep out of its misery, it was heartbreaking

Then bawl over this....., I saw one on (I think a Sport or SE) 20"s with dragon decals running down the sides and the lift gate caved in. That's as bad as the Wranglers I've seen running around on 20" or rims. There ought to be a law..........

I'll be the first, right now I hate XJ's. I bought mine and 2 weeks later it started making noises and it almost left me stranded in the middle of I-96 as I had a full load of supplies and my kitten in it.

When I get a new Xfer case ($400 I don't have) and put some winter miles on it, I'll get back to ya.

Oh, almost forgot - the night I signed over the title, the ASD relay failed and I didn't figure it out for a week - too me 20 mins. to get the f'er started every day!

TWO DOORS! I'm sick-and-tired of 4-door-only 'utes, including the Liberty. BY my era (2000), the doors even seem to stay on! :cool:

It's a TRUCK... tough, powerful, a bit on the rough-edged side, and loves to
be customized...

Yet, it's also kind of a car... lots of enclosed space, decent comfort... great
maneuverability...

The only vehicle I "fell in love with" when I was 15... and could still buy NEW
when I was 30!

Den

- An instrument panel that actually says something instead of just lights.
- It smells good underneath.
- Room in the engine compartment
- The roof to body connection is a folded metal ledge, perfect for mounting heavy duty roof racks. Three people can stand on mine at the same time.
- It didn't kill (or even scratch) my daughter or any of her 4 passengers when she did a 360 roll-over on dirt one dark night. It rolled down an embankment through brush back onto its wheels. They just opened the doors and jumped out. Called dad... and I drove it right back up to the road and home!

1) Relatively easy to work on and you can get parts
2) Tows everything that I need but still handles well
3) Best 4WD I have ever used.
4) You can crash in the back in a pinch. Got stuck in a blizzard in the back country of Wyoming for a week.
5) Knowing my rig is not some candy ass SUV that needs to be babied.

-Once you tear down one XJ, your free to work on all the years since few things changed as far as drivetrain/ suspension goes
-fit fishing poles inside and drive from stream to stream without having to break them down
-incenerate the rear tires at will
- no 150$ headlights to replace- 7$ at any autoparts store
- So many of 'em most parts stores have what you need in stock
- grab handels that you can actually use without them breaking off
- most of the exterior trim and panels just "bolt off" without having to break and replace any special fasteners
- if you cant find it- ebay has it
- the energizer rabbit of the 4x4 world!

dothedew24_7- grab handels that you can actually use without them breaking off QUOTE said:
Not sure about that one. My driver side broke off about a month ago, I glued the back of it back together and braced it with extra pieces inside. Worked like new till a few days ago when it ripped off again, now the holes in the plastic are too big for the screws. Now I have a nylon strap with holes punched in it for a grab handle, works great!!

But my favorite thing, I can beat just about any car that pulls up next to me. I out accelerated a classmate in his mitsu 3000gt(he thought it was fast because it had loud exhaust) :huh: I've also out accelerated my friends f250 w/ 460 V8, although thats not a surprise, since he's friving a tank, LOL.

forgot this

S O L I D F R O N T A X L E

no ifs!

I didn't see this one:

With the heater and A/C, I can wheel in comfort year-round, no dust eating or freezing my keister off (unless I want to, then I just roll ALL FOUR windows all the way down.

All the plastic is inside where it belongs.
Engine bay looks real nice after a can of foamy enigine gunk, nothing looks out of place or crowded.
I've actually cleaned mine out 4 times now, and unfournatly I'm very liberal with the rinse water, but yet it doesnt care, starts right up.
4 wheel drive, and an owners manual that tells you how to use it effectivly offroad. Unlike the other manuals, "dont drive sideways on a hill." Well du'h we all know that.
Closing the door, no plastic there.
One thing I dont like is the fiberglass liftgate, anyone know why they did this? I found this out the hard way.
The engine may give you an idle problem at a stop light, and then it wont happen again for at least a few months, but yet it hasnt happened to me in a while, the jeep must be able to fix itself. Odd sounds I've heard seem to go away, before I can check them out. Had what appered to be a grayish smoke come out the back of my jeep while driving 4 months ago, but yet hasnt happned since that one day.
The instrument gauge is simple. Everthing simple is usefull, (who said that i forgot.)
The drivers window is just at the right height for me, I can rest my arm there easily. Much like one of those 1st generation vettes I've heard.
I can easily get out of my moms driveway, havent tried snow, but I'm sure it would take it. Her driveway is probably close to a 45 degree incline.
Great for crusing, tracks good doing 65 mph for long distance, glad I've got cruise control.

I still remeber the first time I drove her, I was surprised that I barely had my foot on the gas and she was picking up speed. Prevoius cars I drove couldnt do that with.

People have complained about the steerting wheel being to close, well I like that. I'm about 6'4", and I always hated having to reach for the dash to grab the steering wheel, becuase of how long my legs are. The steering wheel is right in my lap with the seat all the way back and the chair reclinced further back as well, to allow me some head room.

Bought it last year in october, the paint looked brand new and still does, had a few scrathes and dings, but hey its a Jeep.

Mine is still stock, but I love it when I see lifted XJs, almost like they were suppose to look like that, instead of so "low" to the ground a stocker is.

ok its 1 in the moring i need to get to sleep, hopefully I made since here.

Oh yeah the ride isnt comfy, so it wont put you to sleep.

Last edited:
Back