• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things that I LOVE about stock XJ's

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
Wow. had a lot of fun with my other post, as I'm sure you glanced at. Now I hope we can get this one looooooonger than the other one- if not, we've made some bad dicisions :doh: . Probley should have started this post first before the other one.
-Well Ill start this off by saying:
> these things will smoke just about any "average" vehicle till you get to 3rd gear.
> haul yourself and some friends around AND a crap load of cargo for the weekend camping trip
> very strong engines, that (used under average conditions) will last 150k+ easily
> 97+ CUPHOLDERS lol, and a more modern interior scheme
> It has JEEP on the front
> you can only play the jeep game on long trips- in a jeep
> does anyone roll out any other SUV's that can match the XJ??
:party:

I love it because... MY WIFE DOESN'T !!

1.) It's a 2 dr. so no one asks me to ride along.
2.) Could you find parts for any other vehicle THIS easy ??
3.) CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP... Till you buy the expensive Mods...

what I love abou tmy XJ's:

-That 4.0 is the best damn motor in the business.
-The 4.0 is just getting broken in at 100K
-At 160,000miles I still get over 20mpg from the 4.0
-An amazing amount of usable space in the rear.
-Has been able to go everywhere I wanted to
-you can get one cheap because most want a wrangler and don't know what
the XJ has to offer
-If you want a truck, the MJ is right there with it.
-Did I mention the motor?

-Copperhead

Hmmm, lets see....;

Acceleration
cornering
cupholders, that will hold both a 32oz Slurpee and a 40oz Slurpee!
engine life (considering two of the three we have now are at 274K and 170K+, I'd be stupid to disagree)
Keyless entry, especially when it rains
Express down driver side window (where has this been since I started driving)
(sorry, I'd love those features no matter what they were on)
Solid axles
Light weight for vehicle class

Lets see, things I love about stock XJ's.

I own one.
Easy to work on.
Cheap, in a good way.
Better than average off-road with little to no mods.
4.0L is the best engine in the world. (atleast I think so)
Last forever.
Simple. (this relates to the cheap and easy parts)
Light.
Powerful.
Not overly luxureous.
It's a Jeep 4x4.
Reliable.
Tough.
29 spline chrysler 8.25 (much better than 35 in my opinion, and it's on my jeep)
They have been and always will be the best jeeps ever (unless Jeep gets a reality check and starts making them again, but better)

bjoehandley said:
cupholders, that will hold both a 32oz Slurpee and a 40oz Slurpee!
- voice of experience :roflmao:
Keep em comming! over 1500 users should = over 1500 post about what you love about stock xj's... unless yours wasnt stock to begin with that is

classic good looks, nothing flashy here
the look on Civic owners faces when they get smoked by me...:D
4 star crash ratings
handy little stowage space under rear seat
out of the box capability
revving the engine and feeling the chassis rock...I'm easily amused

What Love about my stock XJ......Its brother the MJ!

1) Stock parts are cheap and easy to find.

2) Dont have to jack it up to work on the underside. (on mine at least)

3) Five speed tranny that cant be beat

4) 4.0 motor bilt like a brick $%^&house!

5) Looks great at any stance

6) Its a American made Jeep!

7) Over all the best truck ever made

Gave up a life time of wrenching on VWs for my jeep.....Its one of the best decisions I have ever made!

good looks and the fact that when it was stock i could beat all of my friends cars in the 1/4 mile.

My 97 has:
...gone thru 150 - 175 yard water runs(small lake) that were over the bumper and didn't sputter or conk out.

...performed like an icebreaker ship this past winter when I fell thru a deep puddle while hunting on a 5 degree day.

...tackled many a creek or small stream only to come out unscathed.

What can I say, I love my Jeep "boat"! I mean "truck" ;-)

P.S. - It is pretty cool to work on :)

red91inWA said:
I love it because... MY WIFE DOESN'T !!

Mine also hates my JEEP.. :thumbup: She won't even move it out of the driveway to get her van out. :roll:

1) The first vehicle easy enough for a non-techie like myself to work on.
2) Peppyness of the 4.0L HO.
3) Headroom, I get into alot of todays vehicles and have to sit with my head cocked to one side.

It's tough: with the solid axles, when I miss seeing a water-bar (drainage cross ditch in logging roads) and smack it, blowing the front axle up to the stops both sides..........and don't even need an alignment!!! (Co-worker hit one with a ford 1/2 ton- it had to be towed out of the bush $600 to fix).
The AW4 transmission- with a few fluid changes, it goes on and on and on.
The 4.0 engine- best ever used in a jeep.
Good gas mileage (26 mpg highway imperial gallon/Canada, about 22 /US gallon, whereas buddies 4 cyl gutless 4-runner burns 10% more)- all this with the power of the 4.0 engine when you need it!

weird how wives seem not to like driving our Cherokees...My wife doesn't like driving it either. And its not cuz she doesn't like "trucks" or whatnot, her last two vehicles have both been Nissan pickups... :confused:

i own one

the simplicity of the design, ever notice the square, flat windows in the doors? the absence of a neurtal safety switch? ease of removing the dash? Simple engine layout? easy oil change?

not to mention the stock options that myne came with:
"off road package"
Mopar gas tank skid, T-case skid, and front skid
track lock rear end
235/75R15 BFG all-terrains

ok ok, so i bought it used... but basicaly stock, and man i love it

XJ91 said:
Mine also hates my JEEP.. :thumbup: She won't even move it out of the driveway to get her van out.

My wife loves the XJ!! She always did like them - even before we bought it. Case in point , we were camping a few months ago and it was parked next to us in the campsite when, out of the blue, she states what I great looking vehicle it was. I had to agree.

The "peppiness" of the 4.0L amazes me - expecially after coming from the 1.8L of the older Subaru flat fours.

I like the idea that I can actually "see" the engine to do simple tuneup stuff - quite unlike the new engines that are hidden beneath shrouds and you cannot even do a plug change without a service manual and a "special" tool.

In comparison to my previous mazda, honda and subarus the price of parts is incredibly low.

It sure as heck looks a lot better than the "stylish" Morano (I can't say that without thinking of Moron - o ) or the Santa Fe or any other cutesy-poo SUV. Whenever possible I try to park next to a Liberty so that the other person can see what his/her Jeep SHOULD look like.

Just my 2 cents.

Sean

P.S. Actually , when we were looking for a vehicle my wife flat out refused to look at mini vans - eventhough we do have two children ages 5 & 7 . She just hates them!!! That's fine with me!!

Last edited:
I love that I can sit at the top of a sand hill and laugh at my friends in "Big Trucks" getting stuck on the way up.

I love that I had to pull the Sherriff's "big truck" out of the snowbank with my little cherokee.

I love that I can hit a 2 track at 70+ and I don't bounce off like a truck

I love that this is my 2nd Cherokee, and it's still got bawls after 248,000 miles, and doesn't even sip oil.

The muffler on my 93 cherokee had 236,000 miles on it, and it still sounded and ran perfect.

I can turn around in an area just wider than a 2 track.

P.S.oh yeah, The wife loves hers too (a 92), and she refuses also to even be seen NEAR a mini-van.

Last edited:
I don't have a stock xj any more. the wife wheels it with me, as long as i spot.
I love:
a torque curve you can eat off of.(flat)
the AW4 automatic (the maytag repairmans worst nightmare)
the 8.25 rear that is stronger in either spline count than people give it credit for.
the aftermarket thats finally realized we wheel these wagons.
taking the family and my gear wheelin'(try that in a wrangler)
a/c, heat, and a hard top to keep the weather out.
etc. etc. etc.........
I dislike:
small wheel openings (35"s just don't fit without a sawzall)
climbing in and out of the rear seat.(luckily I don't have to too often)
tearing my unit-body at the door hinges and the steering box.

really not much to dislike is there.

Back