• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The tale of the $500 XJ

Any more progress? Reno is coming up fast!

Some. But not as much as I'd like. I've been working 10+ hour days, which is leaving me with almost no leftover time to work on the potato. I've gotten all of the numbers ironed out on the links. I was able to get the links at 40" long (little different on the uppers vs lowers) got the roll axis to 0* with a height of 25".

Started cutting the floor out tonight.

Tomorrow I'll tack up everything and and cycle it through to check clearance. Looks like middle of next week I'll be able to start on my cantilever project. Going to mount the coilovers horizontally next to the gas tank.

New to the forum....recently back into the hobby of wrenching after 15yrs of life.
Rekindled my youth a bit.
Nice build!!
Am anxious about the cantilevered coilovers...keep it comin'!

Cant wait to see this person

Made a ton of progress over this last week. The the 4 link all mocked up and ready for final welding, and started the mock up process for the cantilever.
image_zpsyxq6bwd4.jpeg

image_zpsqu0bti2z.jpeg

King coilovers. Just need to get springs now.
image_zpsk0aybpgx.jpeg

Cycled the axle. Looks really good as far as the clearances go. The uppers get really close to the floor when both sides get compressed, but I'm not too worried about that.
image_zpsxeepl8uw.jpeg

Picked up a tow rig too. 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9v8, auto, 4x4, all the power options work, as well as the ac. Got it all for $400. We call it rootbeer.

image_zps8wpktwz8.jpeg

Unfortunately the tow rig has the typical auto tranny problems and needs a little work before you can drive it.

It drives now.

What was the issue with 2nd gear? And the t-case?

Going to be doing a marathon wrench fest this weekend to finish the jeep in time for Reno. Anyone feel like swinging by to lend a hand? I'll supply pizza and beverages.

What was the issue with 2nd gear? And the t-case?
The band was loose, it works now but still slips a little bit if you really give it the beans. I haven't yet tracked down the 4x4 problem, but my guess is that the vacuum fork isn't working in the axle. I'm just going to delete it and run a cable.

I could use some help setting up the gears for the front axle as well. The local shop quoted me $825 for the job. That's even with me bringing them a housing with only the gears in it, nothing else. And that's also with me supplying parts separately.

I could use some help setting up the gears for the front axle as well. The local shop quoted me $825 for the job. That's even with me bringing them a housing with only the gears in it, nothing else. And that's also with me supplying parts separately.

Thats insane. If i wasn't overloaded with my own rig id tell you to bring it over and we would have it done in a few hours.

Thats insane dude . 825$ and i bet they will mess up the install.
I dont think i have a way of getting out there between now and reno but ill try.

Get me the housing and I will set up the gears.... let me know...

dude you're awesome.
I was offering too, but crap, I'm about 2 hours further away from him that you.

Well I am hope to get all the needed items together and get that front end setup for Seal. Gonna get my dana 30 shim box back from pat Sunday and get some set up bearings monday...... GO TEAM

Awesome John!!!!

Go team Johns. Haha

Why do we all ait til the last minute to prep for these trips? :hang::wave1:

Does anyone have dana 30 set up bearings I can borrow to set up Seal's axle... I am in tahoe now so could pick up on way home from tahoe to pleasanton.
Please Help!

I dont have any but seal can buy spare bearinvs and them ream em out with a drill and a grinding wheel thats what i always do

Huge thank you to twinhauler. He drove down from Pleasanton last night, to help me set up my new front gears. I couldn't have done it without him.

Now I have a little bit of fab work left and it should be done in time for Reno.

Back