• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The tale of the $500 XJ

Dude thats awesome . Jealous of that torque

Haven't updated in a while.

Not much has been going on with the potato, just been driving and enjoying it. Moved into a new house with a two car garage. It's a step down from having a shop, but at least I won't have to share it with anyone.

There's some big stuff in the works for the potato starting next month. Already started collecting parts.
-The leaf springs are going bye bye, in favor of a dual triangulated 4 link with coilovers.
-Cage is finally going to get done.
- The stock front bumper coming off. I might mount that to the wall (Lots of history with that bumper.)
-Going to replace the front sheet metal (crunched a fender in at cantina which took park of the hood with it.)
-Time and money permitting a full respray.
-A few engine things need to change
-Full suspension, frame and body inspection to repair any cracking or warping.

I'm sure more will happen, playing it by ear mostly.

Parts I've already collected.
-Currie hi-9 with 4.56 gears, arb, Currie chromo shafts, willwood calipers, Currie stamped steel housing.
-ARB air compressor with all the wiring, solenoids, hoses and switches.
-Install kit for front gears as well as correct carrier for new gears.

That's about it for now, I'll post pics when I get a free minute to dick around with photobucket. Anyone else hate that thing?

cec543385802a01dec08ced373053828.jpg

Potato supreme

Mmmmm with bacon bits!

Started playing around on the link calculator. These numbers aren't final. Hopefully they're going in the right direction. Opinions?

links_zpsjm97fypk.jpg

Last edited:
Factor in the Earth's rotational speed in relationship to positive g forces divided by potato squared, and I think you will be on the right track 😉

Things have finally settled down around here enough that I could start working on things.

Managed to get the old link mounts chopped off the axle. Cleaned up the tubes and center section. Time to get it under the jeep to start laying out the location of the new link mounts.

This axle came with a 5x5" bolt pattern which isn't going to work with my wheels. Ended up taking the parts into work and redrilled the rotors and axle shafts to 5x4.5".

Things have finally settled down around here enough that I could start working on things.

Managed to get the old link mounts chopped off the axle. Cleaned up the tubes and center section. Time to get it under the jeep to start laying out the location of the new link mounts.

This axle came with a 5x5" bolt pattern which isn't going to work with my wheels. Ended up taking the parts into work and redrilled the rotors and axle shafts to 5x4.5".

thats so cool!
I like that man. this is going to be a pretty awesome build !

thats so cool!
I like that man. this is going to be a pretty awesome build !

Thanks man! I can't wait to finish it.

So a tid-bit of exciting news, I was accepted in to the TNT terrain masters program. :thumbup::thumbup:

Metal is ordered from a local dealer here.

Lower links will be 2"x .25 wall Dom.
Upper links will be 1.75"x .25 wall Dom.
Crossmember will be 2x4"x .25 wall box tubing.

Thanks man! I can't wait to finish it.

So a tid-bit of exciting news, I was accepted in to the TNT terrain masters program. :thumbup::thumbup:

What's this TNT program? Suspension design? Man your jeep is turning out pretty badass. I remember holding my breath up in Reno when you took that alternate route that ended up being just as hard or harder.. on 31s and open diff in a rock garden with stock diff covers.. haha.

Cant wait to see the rear axle linked up and under this thing .

What's this TNT program? Suspension design? Man your jeep is turning out pretty badass. I remember holding my breath up in Reno when you took that alternate route that ended up being just as hard or harder.. on 31s and open diff in a rock garden with stock diff covers.. haha.

Thanks! That was such a gnarly little spot. I avoided it the last time round. I think that's where I smashed my gas tank and lost about a gallon of capacity. At the most basic level it's a sponsorship. I just promote the company and that earns me products and discounts. I also am able to provide discounts to anyone that I give my discount code to.

Now, on to the 4 link stuff. I've refined my numbers and I'm pretty happy with them but I would love a second opinion from anyone that's done this before. I'm starting the crossmember build today. Next week the axle will go under and be bolted up.

Here are the numbers so far.
Anti squat: 75%
Roll center: 26"
Roll axis angle: -3*
Instant center: 101"
Instant center on Z-axis: 27"

Upper links: 31.5" long
14.5" separation at frame
2.5" separation at axle
26.5" from ground to bolt center at frame
25.25" from ground to bolt center at axle

Lower links: 33.75" long
10" separation at frame
23" separation at axle
20.5" from ground to bolt center at frame
17.5" from ground to bolt center at axle

Keep in mind all the separation values are 1/2. So if it's 10" it is actually 20".

Upper links: 31.5" long
14.5" separation at frame
2.5" separation at axle
26.5" from ground to bolt center at frame
25.25" from ground to bolt center at axle

It's actually 26.25" from ground to bolt center at axle. Not 25.25. Typo.

Coilovers bought.

2.5"x10" Kings with dual rate spring hardware, and remote reservoirs.

They should be here middle of this week.

Back