• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The good bass, little space project

Here is a little "prototype" box to hide the subs, Just a very basic Idea. The box fits snugly against the rear seat and is "stealthed" by adding an extra sheet of MDF over the sub and cutting a hole for it, then covering it in carpet.

My Rendering
fittedsubbox.png

And all the Scientific Measurments...
Calculations.png

Any Ideas or anything you wanna throw my way is welcome. I have a design cad version that is extremely basic, and if I ever make it back to school Ill try to get a friend to make a really good model in some fancy autodesk software...

Edit:I seem to be making a lot of posts.... sry bout that guys.
Edit2:My math seems to be off... Sorry... By the way Don't take my measurments to heart or else the box wont come out right... :banghead:
Edit3:The Diminsions in my drawing only give you about 1ft^3 NOT 3ft^3 :banghead:

Last edited:
That box will really thump with two 12's, but you will have to sacrifice space. You're going to need a bare minimum of about 3500 cubic inches. Personally, I think you'll get plenty of bass with a single 12 or even a single 10. A single 10 could really be stealth mounted in a tiny box. On the other hand, if you want it to rattle windows a block away, go for the 2x 12's.

You know they make 15's, right?

:D

Edit: I posted this at the same time as you, I like your design, looks like it could work and still keep some pretty good cargo space available...

My prob is I have jbl 1200.1. the thing is big. maybe i'll mount where the spare tire goes, since i don't keep the spare in the vehicle.

Here is a cabinet for a single 12" but im not completely shure if I made enough clearance for the magnet, (probably not but I am trying to throw out an idea for someone to try later. (Im short on money or I would go buy the sheet of MDF right now)...

Not all Measurments are exact, so be warned

fittedsubboxsinglesub.png

CodyB said:
Here is a cabinet for a single 12" but im not completely shure if I made enough clearance for the magnet, (probably not but I am trying to throw out an idea for someone to try later. (Im short on money or I would go buy the sheet of MDF right now)...

Not all Measurments are exact, so be warned

fittedsubboxsinglesub.png
I think the box above is closer to 1.52 cubic feet. It actually makes for a slight Fz boost between 45 and 70Hz and rolls off steeply enough to hit -3dB at around 35Hz. I think it would sound pretty good with one 12" in there...

anybody know what the volume is of the cubby hole in the factory rear panel? i was thinking of making an enclosure out of fiberglass and mdf that would fit in there. i would be useing a jl 8w2 d4 so it only needs .375 cu ft for a sealed enclosure. of course i could always cut the back side out to allow for more air space.

Beej said:
I think the box above is closer to 1.52 cubic feet. It actually makes for a slight Fz boost between 45 and 70Hz and rolls off steeply enough to hit -3dB at around 35Hz. I think it would sound pretty good with one 12" in there...

Im confused now Beej, The WinISD box tool says that enclosure has 1.056 cubic feet... :dunno:

Calculations2.png

Ok thanks man, I thought my math was messed up, Ive been home sick all week from school so I thought my brain wasnt working right...

91 Jeep Project said:
Running a shallow mount sub he can get away with about 2,000.

297394781TS-SW3041D_SIDE_Med.jpg
In theory, but the specs of that speaker still lean toward something larger. It can clear a tight space behind it for cramped applications, but it will still need a large enclosure volume in order to not roll off above 40Hz...

So I was playing with your box specs and the kicker CVT parameters. Here's what I graphed:

487p01w.jpg

So this graph has four boxes, all the same volume: 1.056ft^3.

Yellow: Sealed Box - CVT10
Blue: Vented Box - CVT10
Pink: Sealed Box - CVT12
Orange: Vented Box - CVT12

Just looking at the graphs, you can see how with a box limited to the size above, the best response will be had with the CVT10 in a vented box. I've got the box's resonant frequency at Fz=33.79Hz. To get that, and make reasonable length vents you'd need to add in 5 1" diameter vents about 7.89" long (7 7/8). You can see that in a small box this size, the 12" CVT is not going to give optimum response or highest perceived SPL. This is one case where the 10" will sound better than the 12...

i had thought of something similar ,then some one else did it but why don't you make the subs down ward firing and protect them from stuff being put in the back and you don't have to worry about magnet clearance.

chrslefty said:
i had thought of something similar ,then some one else did it but why don't you make the subs down ward firing and protect them from stuff being put in the back and you don't have to worry about magnet clearance.

Um, it would be a problem, 8" or 10" sub wont fit in 7" of mdf. Nice Idea, but I want the box to be an exact size. 43"x17.5x1.5"at top x7"at bottom. Another idea I had was put the subs facing the seat and fire into the backs of unsuspecting victims... Thanks though.

Last edited:
Cody, I think if you can swing it, making the top and bottom 3.5" and 9" respectively increases your volume to 2490ci which with a vented 2x10 setup will extend your rolloff below 40Hz. Otherwise, don't see getting a low end rolloff in the area of the good bass. Just a thought.

To answer your other question, I don't change the SPL figures because those are typically standard measurements. 1watt at 1metre SPL figure is the normal way of calculating it. If a manufacturer provides other specs, then enter them instead. The vast majority use 1w at 1m as a standard, but in the old days, it was common to see 1watt at 1foot. If you are doing a really old speaker, you might need to change this to reflect their rating. Hopefully this makes sense...

CodyB said:
Um, it would be a problem, 8" or 10" sub wont fit in 7" of mdf. Nice Idea, but I want the box to be an exact size. 43"x17.5x1.5"at top x7"at bottom. Another idea I had was put the subs facing the seat and fire into the backs of unsuspecting victims... Thanks though.

sorry i missed the dimensions !

:looney:

Still trying to figure out how much space I can get in the rear quarter panel area. Maybe I should just build it and then measure it before deciding on what sub to use. :tears:

Back