• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Budget Bucket's build

so i found my problem that i asked about. my passengers side u joint was broken and wiggling around in the socket. so i pulled it and put in my spare shaft. now i need a new spare but she's on the road and 4 wheel works pretty good now. discoed the front drive shaft and my vibes went away so now its nice and quite on the road (obvious front pinion).

front flexes fantastic however i am running RRO lower johny joint arms because they looked like a good product. one month in to running them on the street only and the johnny joint is stripping due to poorly manufacturement. I am emailing them but they are not responding so i would suggest that you not buy from this company. just have to watch it for now until i can afford some ruffstuff heims.

things to come:
-stiffners
-rear cut n fold
-lca skids
-axle measurements
-lightbar tabs

and then i should be set to where i want it besides lockers so I'm really stoked on that. just thought id update for the heck of it.

so heres another update.

found my problem, was a blown ball joint on passengers side. heres the best pic i could get of it.

and what comes with jeeps and fixing problems? more problems shah

radiator cracked and is leaking out the input hose. so i put some water pump sealant on it and it holds for now. Bought a new stock CSF radiator from quadratec so that will be this weekend.

also did the goferit over the knuckle flip with currie so that way i was safe for the con. ground down some stuff so it fits and i also can still run sway bars. only problem is flex, the tie rod hits the drop track bar bracket so i have to grind that down a little. I took off my johnny joints because they cause to much problems so i am gonna do heims down the road.

Also went to the rubicon with some buddies and wheeled in to spider and back. good trip no breaks besides a blown steering box seal.

Also does anyone know what this is? its located on the battery tray and have no idea what it is.

Glad you found the problem samo. CSF and dont look back.

That steering is exactly what i did to mine. It has been great though i still bent the tierod. But im an idiot.

That i believe is a battery temp sensor. Could be wrong but thats what i remember

Oh yeah and thanks for the pics this time.

Last edited:
I just replaced my passage side ball joint too and now the tube seal is leaking. One thing, leads to another.

Im impressed that you are wheeling this 31s/open rig so often on the con with no breakage...

Makes me want to drop the MJ down to 31s and stop messing with it.

You guys should! Such a beautiful trail! And thanks Jon. I do have my fair share of breaks but it really does work and Im happy w my setup. Bigger tires and different suspension would make it more comfy on the trail but it's my do it all rig. Thanks man!

Im impressed that you are wheeling this 31s/open rig so often on the con with no breakage...

Makes me want to drop the MJ down to 31s and stop messing with it.

Jon, I'd leave the MJ as you have it now. With that J-Lo long bed overhang you'd regret going smaller. You've done a great job with building it up. It makes a great camping/trail rig as you have it now. I was impressed with it this past weekend.

Jon, I'd leave the MJ as you have it now. With that J-Lo long bed overhang you'd regret going smaller. You've done a great job with building it up. It makes a great camping/trail rig as you have it now. I was impressed with it this past weekend.

Yeah you are right on that. I will probably just fix the cooling system issues and spring over the rear leaves, add a PS cooler and a tranny cooler and call it mostly done. And now I know even at 1/4 tank it still has around 6 gallons which is good to know.

Ya Jon remember that mj has the oversized 23 gallon tank too!

Yeah- but it reads way overfull when you fill it on the gauge, so I was assuming that it had the same shift on the empty side, so I was thinking a 1/4 tank was empty - which is was still at 6 gallons- so this is good to know- when I fill it it can go over but the empty still stays right where it should.

-Jonathan

Back