• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Budget Bucket's build

goodwilljeeper

NAXJA Forum User
well hey guys! im stuck at work so i thought id get started on this thread.

guess ill just introduce myself. Im sam from Pleasanton CA in the east bay. I have tons of hobbies so i get along with others perty easily. I've been in, around, and working on cars since..well forever. :dunce: ive learned alot working on my GF charlotte (66 fastback 289 mustang) but man have i learned more wheeling.

I have always been jelly of my friends lifted heep but could never lift mine since i commuted to school for two years and had to "save gas" (as much gas as you can in an rolling box) :anon: Hasta . kevin (jeep450r) took me on some small wheeling trips and got me hooked so now im in the process of getting the jeep ready for wheelin before i leave for Reno, NV.

jeep: 2000 jeep cherokee xj straight 6 4.0 automatic Aw4, t-case 242, dana30 front and Chrysler 8.25 rear.

name: Budget Bucket

Parts I have:
3"-3.5" lift from different club members (thank you)

Parts im looking for (if u got some let me know!):
front and rear diff covers
t-case skid
gas tank skid
tow hitch
front ausie locker

planned builds
welded rock sliders
welded front bumper with stinger bar
welded rear bumper with integrated flag/fishing pole holders
1+2 transmission mod for the automatic (down the road)
tire size 31's (new)

here is some pics from slick rock my first trail!! and a couple other dirt roads

IMG_2443_zpsaa4a0d56.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2440_zps75fc8a9c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2341_zps7898a161.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2325_zps7ad08b1c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2291_zps38133b9a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ill update the build as we go!

nice man!

what trail area are those pics by the water? not slick rock?

awesome.. i cant wait to wheel my jeep at slick rock! parts list sounds good so far! nice looking jeep to start with as well! i have family that lived in pleasonton. nice place up there!

awesome.. i cant wait to wheel my jeep at slick rock! parts list sounds good so far! nice looking jeep to start with as well! i have family that lived in pleasonton. nice place up there!

its definitively a sweet trail. lots of room to stretch out. and the stair steps are sweet. nice! and thanks.

Hope to meet you at Sierra Fest this year. I run a little over stock myself so it will be fun to have you there.

super clean. I like that color.

I have a stock gas tank skid and a tow hitch. I'm in martinez. Pm me if your interested.

Nice clean rig. I'm at 3.5" as well but on 35s. I'll see you at sierra fest.

Looks good Sam. Lets get it lifted pronto!

Welcome to the madness Sam. I met you and your dad a while back. Hope the coils and shocks work out for you. Good luck on the build. Don't forget to hook up with Mr Reno AKA Alboy97xj AKA Alan. I am sure he will show you around when get up there. You are going to love it because there are a ton of trails and they really close to town/school.

haha thanks rammin97. and they look new! just got done sanding and painting all my parts. and thanks for the heads up, will do. and to KTMmqdracer no i only got to the first play ground. wich is still pretty far for stock. you can get to there idk about going farther than that.

Here's a shot from wheeling up the ridge next to lake alpine.

null_zps97a2c4ca.jpg

Alright so i have a quick question for yall. im trying to solve this quick problem before i go to reno or post pics up on here as well lol. i recently lifted the heep!!!! its looking good...but driving funny. so the 3.5 in RE lift springs are in the rear. I also put 4* shims in the rear for note. I now have driveline wobble and I am curious if i should remove the shims...tcase drop it....smaller shims... or something. and no it is not bad ujoints. i already tried that.

Im kinda thinking of removing the shims since someone told me that would help. but i was also told to ask all yall smart people on here so i went with that option (less work hahah)

if you guys know that would be great~!!!! thanks.

Alright so i have a quick question for yall. im trying to solve this quick problem before i go to reno or post pics up on here as well lol. i recently lifted the heep!!!! its looking good...but driving funny. so the 3.5 in RE lift springs are in the rear. I also put 4* shims in the rear for note. I now have driveline wobble and I am curious if i should remove the shims...tcase drop it....smaller shims... or something. and no it is not bad ujoints. i already tried that.

Im kinda thinking of removing the shims since someone told me that would help. but i was also told to ask all yall smart people on here so i went with that option (less work hahah)

if you guys know that would be great~!!!! thanks.

theres no guessing involved. Measure your U joint angle at the pinion yoke. measure your U joint angle at the tcase output shaft. if they are not equal, then you need to shim ordrop tcase accordingly to make sure the angles are equal, or parrallel i guess.

Also, inspect your U joints. A bad joint would only get worse with a lift. when you say you already tried that , what do you mean? I am assuming you installed new U joints in the rear DS.

Did you check the front DS for play? front DS U joints?

Which way did you point the shims?

Ive never had to shim a setup on only 3.5" , theres a good chance the shims put your angles too extreme.

get us your angles with an angle finder and get back to us, otherwise there is nothing we can do.

also an out of balance tire will cause vibes too.

its called driveline vibes.

there is also death wobble , thats totally different.

which do you have?

you can keep guessing and listening to people making shit up, or you can measure your angles and really know whats wrong.

if your angles are good, its either U joints, tires out of balance, or tcase output bearing.

my money is on angles, bad u joints, tires out of balance, or front DS u joints or angles.

do you have pics of the rear DS with tcase output and pinion in same pic?

if you give vague , crappy info, then you get vague crappy replies, such as " I have vibes" answer " remove shims.

if you said:
Pinion U joint is at 11* and tcase out put is dropped down at roughly 18* , U joints are brand new , tires are balanced , what do I do?
then we can help? get it?

specific actionable results that are well researched will get you further than saying " I have vibes, what is the single universal fix for a symptom that could have multiple causes..."

sorry if im getting short with you.
im really tired and had a migraine all day. i also had a bunch of issues working on my rear end tonight. ugh..

Last edited:
hey no problem!

I was tired when i posted this up so i was being supper vague. so your right there. (hope ur day and driveline problems get better man)

yes tires are balanced.

its not death wobble. it ONLY HAPPENS when i get on the gas and then it goes away when i coast.

and no i did not check front DS u joints but i doubt thats the problem, but i could be wrong.

and i did not replace them but there is no play in the rear DS u joints.

ill get pictures up soon i hope (leaving for a back pack trip so times short, ill try.)

also ill measure, your right idk why i didnt do that.

also i read about SYE's and if i dont have one then i shouldn't need shims "so to say". and also you only address the driveline problems as they happen so i could have over corrected for a problem that wouldn't have occured.

thanks blondejohn!

Thanks for the symptoms.

In the rear DS you can have bad u joints and no play. Check for journalling of the pinion U joints after you remove the 2 easy to pull off caps on that U joint and inspect the thing with the caps off.

Only when you get on the gas usually, not always, means that under some axle wrap your pinion angle is getting out of whack and your pinion is pointed too high to start, so which way did you point the shims? fat part facing front of vehicle or back of vehicle?

Back