• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Budget Bucket's build

The forecast didn't seem that far off. I think the NOAA weather was pretty close

Thanks for the pics it looked like fun. I agree 4" of lift and 31's will do just about everything there is around here.........just about.

This started out as an tribute to you Sam. But I was too busy doing this...
baru3ugy.jpg

Then this happened...
ererabus.jpg

But everything turned out ok
uga9y7uq.jpg

Looks like I need to work on the face a bit more.

Hahahahahah Gordon that is so awesome!

Looks like a good time. I miss Hollister.

Yup it was a blast. The wife wanted to wheel for her bday so we went down to hollister for the afternoon and watched the sunset from the top of the mountain.

alright well i havent posted in a while so its time for an update on the jeep. i completed the high clearance stock tie rod mod a while back and finally got to replacing some stuff this past weekend.

First i got some used lca's for a 4.5 lift short arm from kevin. then i replaced the rubbers and eyelets from amazon. (dont even bother with stupid people on the internet, they dont know that if they dont sell them they are now stuck with them for life, because who really buys these bushings that often.) anyways i painted them silver to go with my shocks and skid plates.

then i pulled a funny and took my lca's off while still on a sloped driveway. if you dont know where this is going well when you take off a brace that is controling the angle of the axle it tends to swing in the way of gravity. so when i took off the lca's (which were stock and bent from stock wheeling) the dana 30 swung back a few inches. so we had to pull it forward wich some straps attached to the mustangs rear end. (sketch!!)

and then my neighbor who has always been telling me not to raise my jeep got excited and started working on it for me ahhaa

here it is installed

so then (actually before) i took off my tie rod and was going well until i broke the nut that holds the shock and the tie rod together. and apparently it rusted together. :firedevil so i went out and bought a new shock to go with my upgraded tie rod.

heres the tie rod swap. from a v8 cherokee pick n pull.

so now my steering wobbles are gone and it steers nice and straight! it also looks good and is now more solid then ever. oh ya i forgot. i installed the diff covers in the college parking lot with some home made oil pans from the DC and some home made lines to help put in the fluid. that was fun. i was pretty popular that day in the parking lot lol.

the only thing that im afraid of is if it is possible that the new arms will extend the axle to far forward when wheeling and then tug on the front drive shaft/transfer case.

now all i need to fix is my stupid driveline wobbles. so if you all know of any place that has a cheap but great SYE for a 242 let meh know! (btw there is apparently only one type of SYE for the 242).

Oh ya i forgot.

I have these 5 16" tires and rims for sale.

$250 for all five. i dont want to split them up (also trying to pay for SYE)

minimal rock rash on 2 of them. yes it still holds air. its extremely minor rash.

4 are almost bald. 2 have 30% left and 2 have 15% left tred. the spare is brand new and has new rubber on it. comes with cover and arm for stock holder

this is a good deal for these fancy smancy rims that WILL make your jeep look so clean that panties will drop!! so get at em! if you want to see more pics. go to the for sale post.

Trades and offers could be possible but 250 sounds pretty good as well

(btw there is apparently only one type of SYE for the 242).

Awhile back when I got mine from Tom Woods they told me that there are actually 2 types for the 242. There is an older type, like for my '91, and a later type. He didn't have the early type and the later one was inter-changeable with my earlier model. They supply you a modified main shaft when you get an sye from them. But it's still basically just a hack-n-tap kit where he does all the hacking and tapping. He's not cheap though. It's because he also supplies a new drive shaft with the kit. So it's an all-in-one kit. But the basic hack-n-taps can probably be done with the t-case still in the vehicle. With the Woods kit you have to pull the cases apart and pull out the main shaft to swap the gears from the old to the new shaft. It was easier to have the case out to work on it. Keep up the good work tho. The Jeep is lookin great.

thanks rob! and thanks for the info. i was looking into a tom woods one. would you recommend it? if i spend money i want it to good because i want it to be a good DD. so thats why im not going super cheap on this.

Personally, if you don't mind the cost they make a good quality kit. It was pretty easy to install with simple wrenches/sockets and snap ring pliers. I ran my T.W. sye for about 7 years on my Jeep with the 242 as a dd and Tahoe vehicle in winter as well as doing trails like Swamp Lake, Red Lake, Bald Mountain, DV and Slickrock. I still run the same driveshaft now with my d44 and Atlas and have a Woods shaft for the front as well.

sweet sweet. well thats what i like to hear is durability and long lasting. every forum i read i find that he is the best so i will have to hit them up for one. once i save enough... haha

hey guys so i have a quick question. i just went snow wheeling today which was awesome for the first time! anyway as i was coming home i disengaged 4x4 correctly and normally and started the drive home. however the jeep seemed to be struggling power wise almost like it was still engaged in 4x4. anyway later at Walmart parking lot i was reengaging and disengaging it and messing around trying to see if it would definitely disengage. when i had it disengaged and turned the steering would bounce like it was in 4x. im wondering if because of the cold or old age i could have a stuck front hub? or something along the lines. has anyone heard or have had this problem? thanks. i realize its kinda vague but its hard to describe it over the interwebs. thanks

Sometimes you have to backup a bit after you go back into 2WD for the hubs to unlock.

Also, With short arms as your axle droops it pulls back. So no worries on the axle pushing forward, unless your UCA's let go.
When I had my, current, 4"in springs and even the POS 4.5RC coils on "slightly too short" LCA's kind of like yours, at full droop my DS was fully compressed.

Sometimes you have to backup a bit after you go back into 2WD for the hubs to unlock.

X2 what he said. Also, at times if it is bound up already it will take a little more effort to get it to unlock. Some times just starting forward then dropping the tranny into neutral was enough to get it to pop out of 4x4 and back into 2x on my old 242. Other times it required backing up a little (as he stated above) before it would finally pop out of 4x.

Back