• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THE BEST ELECTRIC FAN SET UP, HANDS DOWN.

DrSockMonkey said:
This thread should be called "THE BEST ELECTRIC FAN SET UP THROW DOWN."

It's amazing that this thread has got over 1300 views. You talk anything about a fan set-up and people are interested...

DrSockMonkey said:
You be quiet! you forgot to change out your heater core...:nono: just careless...

Wow!... your right! I thought I got it all! I suck 8>(
I'll yank that son of a b%$# tonight! Good catch.

I would certainly be pissed if it was something that lame... probably is...

Don't mean to thread jack. But rockwerks would it be possible for you to take some pics of your set up and post it along with a parts list? I'm just interested in your set up.

Crawlin_88 said:
Don't mean to thread jack. But rockwerks would it be possible for you to take some pics of your set up and post it along with a parts list? I'm just interested in your set up.

totally stock except for an adjustable thermostat for the fan

rockwerks said:
You are an inexperienced guy with some mechanical ability. good luck, maybe you should read up on how and why the cooling systems are designed and maybe you might understand the dangerous nature of this misguided project

Dangerous?
My engine runs at 210 degress at all times, in 90+ heat sitting still.
It is the best set up for a trail rig, that runs hot.

It's is completely senseless to put an electric fan INSIDE the engine
compartment, when the thermal shutdown of the electric motor
will eventually shut the fan down from the "oven" effect of being
inside under the hood. Electric fans are great... when they are working.
Guess what, they shut down when they get hot. And then you're screwed.

Anybody with a brain would put them AWAY from the heat.
Three 10" fans blowing air sends more cool air through the radiator
than freeway speeds. It's wonderful, and if you haven't ran this set
up than you have NO ROOM TO SPEAK ON IT'S PERFORMANCE.

It cost under $150.
If your XJ or MJ runs hot on the trail, DO THIS!
It will solve the problem.

DrSockMonkey said:
Hey Barillim I Like you setup, I think I would do the mounting a little differently but I like it. I am converting to a 6.2l detroit diesel and need all the room in the engine bay. How long have you run these fans? Also, can you tell me about your "relay" setup. Do you turn them on manually or is it temp controlled?

Thanks!
Jeremy

I like it too. Thanks, you have a brain as well. Very refreshing, I must say.

I've been running them now for about 4 months.
Ohio heat and humidity, slow moving trail speeds, 90 degrees.
I have two fans on ONE switch, and the third on a seperate switch.
Completely manual, I prefer it that way.

I run all three on the trail when it's hot. If it's cool, or fall 50 degree weather I run two unless I need the third.

They fans are $50 on ebay for two fans.
The polyethlene plastic sheet I bought online from USplastics.com
It's 3/8" thick I think, maybe 1/4". I forget.

The install fits very snug, but it if you're good and TEST FIT
as you go... you can get it in the front inside the grille.
I sealed up the edges with weather stripping to keep the air going
in the right place.

The relay can be the cheap, small black plastic
box shaped 5 prong relays from Autozone.
These 10" fans don't draw tons of Amps like the Taurus fan does.
Thats another benefit.

You can put all three fans on one switch, all on ONE RELAY, but I'd be sure to get a larger 80amp marine relay to be safe if you do this.

Very simple wiring process.
The most important part is making a cardboard template
and cutting the plastic, and holes for the fans accurately. This is imperitive
for proper fitting and mounting.

rockwerks said:
pics would be nice, also too deep of gears with only 33's you are running too many RPM's on the highway, I bet thats where its getting hot.. the coolant is moving too quickly through the system.

Highway!!! real Jeeps can't be driven on the highway. Lol.

Fans in front of the radiator are 20% less efficient than behind. I have never ever had one stop on me in the 5+ years I have had them on the XJ. If they are stopping, you are using the wrong sort of fan or you have under hood airflow problems which need to be addressed.

barillms said:
Highway!!! real Jeeps can't be driven on the highway. Lol.

To me all real jeeps are comfortable on the highway as well as class 4.0+ trails, Im currently on a 4000+ mile trip

If you are having problems with your fans shutting down inside the engine compartment then you are using the wrong fans. 13 years of XJ's and never a fan failure.

He's missing the point you all are trying to make to him....While your fan setup probably works well [enough] when it is working, your SOL if for some reason you cannot power any of those fans up. You will not even be able to drive at road speeds without overheating or getting close to it--and offroad is totally out of the question. I myself run a single old OEM Nissan fan on a relay and switch and I can sit in traffic all day and not over heat. And I can turn my fan off if I'm running down the road at more then 40MPH and it'll be fine even with my crappy OEM radiator with many a cooling fin punched out. Another point I'd like to make--I am a firm believer that for the most part OEM electric fans will be far more reliable in the long run than ebay specials.

-Chris

chondamx said:
He's missing the point you all are trying to make to him....While your fan setup probably works well [enough] when it is working, your SOL if for some reason you cannot power any of those fans up. You will not even be able to drive at road speeds without overheating or getting close to it--and offroad is totally out of the question. I myself run a single old OEM Nissan fan on a relay and switch and I can sit in traffic all day and not over heat. And I can turn my fan off if I'm running down the road at more then 40MPH and it'll be fine even with my crappy OEM radiator with many a cooling fin punched out. Another point I'd like to make--I am a firm believer that for the most part OEM electric fans will be far more reliable in the long run than ebay specials.

-Chris
Well stated

What fan are you using that has a thermal shut-off switch? I've never heard of the OEM electric fan doing what you are talking about and some people on here have put two of them side by side in place of the clutch fan. That sounds like a MUCH better idea than blocking off airflow at the front of the radiator. Pullers are more efficient than pushers anyway.

four_shot said:
I'd be afraid of the shroud blocking the ram air. I do like the idea of putting the fans on the front though. it'd make water pumps and the like alot easier without the fan's and shrouds in the way.

a holecutter/drill/jigsaw and remove unnecessary 'meat'. fans don't weigh that much and I'm sure you could open up the plastic for improved airflow without too much trouble.:cheers:

I like the multiple small fans and your idea of relocation but I'd make some changes. While at the boneyard, I've noticed a lot of the older pickups have small fans positioned like yours but they were mounted from the factory with small steel rods or strips of steel the size of plumbing strapping so as not to block airflow AROUND the fans....that's the only change I'd make. The only problem I see with either design is if someone that wheels upgrades their rig to using the tranny cooler from a police edition interceptor they're going to have space issues...and both the fan and tranny cooler upgrades are for the same purpose..keeping things cool in extreme (wheeling) conditions.

Wm

igotanxj said:
What fan are you using that has a thermal shut-off switch? I've never heard of the OEM electric fan doing what you are talking about and some people on here have put two of them side by side in place of the clutch fan. That sounds like a MUCH better idea than blocking off airflow at the front of the radiator. Pullers are more efficient than pushers anyway.

I have two stock e-fans running side-by-side with the second tapped into the factory one's circuit. I utilized another relay and fuse, jumping off of the ignition wire on the factory relay.

I have about 4 inches of radiator space where my fans cannot pull air through on the passenger side. The ONLY time my XJ gets over 215 (when the fans kick on) is when I'm coming off the highway with the max AC blasting. All I do is shut off the AC for a minute or two and I'm good to go.

Oh and I went to Ma Bell this past weekend. Wasn't hot, probably like 70, but never overheated and my fans weren't on the entire time either.

90* and 70* are never an issue for any XJ, even one with cooling issues. try my trip today. 110+ and road surface temps around 200* I run my MJ with no aux fan at all and just a fan on a tranny cooler mounted under the hood. Ive never had any issues, even pulling a truck about 70 miles on the highway. but does that mean because it works that its right? no

Back