• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THE BEST ELECTRIC FAN SET UP, HANDS DOWN.

i have a 3 core aluminum radiator and a 180* stat and unless its real hot out and i get alot of mud on my radiator i run 180*-185* on the trail with 34" LTBs and 3.55 gears (4.56 as soon as i find someone to instal them)

if it works for you then its cool with me man. Hey you tried something different and it worked.

rockwerks said:
Use stock setup and fix your junk instead of throwing money at it! gee what a thought!
Thats what I did and it works fine except for 4 wheeling with the AC on. Is anybody able to crawl and climb all day on a hot day with the AC on?

Stumpalump said:
Is anybody able to crawl and climb all day on a hot day with the AC on?

<- this guy

The only time I've ever had a problem overheating was when my radiator cap went bad and wouldn't maintain pressure. Never had a problem other than that, even on 90*+ days.

Stumpalump said:
Thats what I did and it works fine except for 4 wheeling with the AC on. Is anybody able to crawl and climb all day on a hot day with the AC on?

mine works better with the A?C on because it overrides the temp switch for the fan and keeps it on continuously, if you fan does not come on with the A/C then you have another issue We wheel sometimes in 120+ degree weather. and have no issues with the stock setup

Stumpalump said:
All the time,and it doesn't get much hotter than here!

Hey Barillim I Like you setup, I think I would do the mounting a little differently but I like it. I am converting to a 6.2l detroit diesel and need all the room in the engine bay. How long have you run these fans? Also, can you tell me about your "relay" setup. Do you turn them on manually or is it temp controlled?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Last edited:
vetteboy said:
<- this guy

The only time I've ever had a problem overheating was when my radiator cap went bad and wouldn't maintain pressure. Never had a problem other than that, even on 90*+ days.

You guys are the lucky ones. Mine runs 210 and if I even look at the AC control the temp will spike 10 degrees. For some, "fixing your junk" is harder than it seems. There are so many things that can contribute to running hot. I have replaced EVERYTHING with no luck. Upgrading the Fan to bring in more air is about all I have left. But I am going to go the Taurus route. I don't want to block the front of my Rad. Just got to find the time to put it in there.

I replaced EVERYTHING too. I couldn't get it to stay at 210 when in the trails.
This keeps my Jeep running at 200 or below. It rocks!

We'll see how it does in August, but I have a feeling it will be fine.

DrSockMonkey said:
Hey Barillim I Like you setup, I think I would do the mounting a little differently but I like it. I am converting to a 6.2l detroit diesel and need all the room in the engine bay. How long have you run these fans? Also, can you tell me about your "relay" setup. Do you turn them on manually or is it temp controlled?

Thanks!
Jeremy
All three are seperate, on a seperate relay, on a seperate manual switch.
So I can run 1, 2, or all 3. I have it shrouded and sealed up really well, it moves the air where it's supposed to go.

rockwerks said:
Ill give it 6 months before he forgets to switch on a fan and burn up the motor.

I'm not an idiot, I control the fans. I'm very reliable, trust me ;)
It's kinda a priority... ya know.

I feel sorry for you if you couldn't trust yourself to remember to flip a switch
when you start your engine. Thats pretty sad.

I used to run around 210 and warmer when wheeling. Sprung a leak in the radiator and decided to replace that along with the water pump, thermostat, and hoses.
Since then I have wheeled with the a/c on and never have seen 200 yet. After that I decided that onboard air was more important and ditched that and wired my electric fan to a toggle switch and still have not had to turn it on yet.
I don't understand why you still get that hot even if you said you replaced everything.:dunno:

I say if it works for you than that's fine. But I just don't like the setup. Blocks to much air.

Kim

85xjwoody said:
I don't understand why you still get that hot even if you said you replaced everything.:dunno:

Ive wondered this also, because alot of people have "claimed" they have replaced everything and still have the running overly warm issue. I have personally concluded one of two things are/is going on.

1.) The complainer "thinks" that their radiator or other parts of the cooling system are fine and dont actually replace them like they should. From what i have seen everything but the radiator usually gets replaced in this type of scenario... bottom line REPLACE your radiator if it hasnt been replaced within the past 3-5 years!

2.) This one is a little more complicated so bare with me..

The head gasket on a XJ DOES NOT have passages for the water jackets throughout the length of the head/block, only for the front and the back (this is by design). Ironically both the block and the head have these provisions. The coolant is suppost to flow to the back of the block then up into the head and then to the front of the head. With time (i have confirmed this on my own old head gasket) the coolant "breaks through" the gasket to complete the flow between the water jackets of the head/block. This can cause "hot spots" in the head since the natural flow of coolant has been altered where the coolant has finally busted through the gasket. This will cause coolant to flow better in the spots where it has busted through, and not as well as it gets toward the rear of the head/block.
Does this all make since? The bottom line here is to also try replacing your head gasket when diagnosing a "hot" running Jeep.

Muad'Dib said:
Ive wondered this also, because alot of people have "claimed" they have replaced everything and still have the running overly warm issue.

I don't know if this was directly aimed at me... but I'll respond. In the last 3 years in my 87 I have replaced: Radiator (twice. Switched to open) Water Pump (twice), Hoses (with spring) Clutch Fan (Twice) Newer Electric Fan, Transmission lines, ENGINE/head, TRANSMISSION/ t-converter, AND Tcase. Added Hood Vents. Put in External Temp Guage To confirm temps. Changed AC compressor.

I *think* that would qualify for everything 8>)

Through all of this, temps still run 200-to 210 with the AC off. If I turn it on while on the trail or a hill... 220+ easily.

I'm not "complaining". It is, what it is. I just want to use my AC when it's hot out on the trail and I have my two young girls in the heep with me! If that means adding a fan or two (or five) so be-it. But don't ASSume it's a "band-aid" or I'm "not fixing my junk!"

Catch 22,your motor is supposed to run at 210*,the real question is the capacity to maintain it under any circumstances.Theres a hell of alot more things that plays into this,first is proper gearing which seams to be the last thing folks do.Second would be HD trans coolers for those with auto's.

jrowell said:
I don't know if this was directly aimed at me... but I'll respond. In the last 3 years in my 87 I have replaced: Radiator (twice. Switched to open) Water Pump (twice), Hoses (with spring) Clutch Fan (Twice) Newer Electric Fan, Transmission lines, ENGINE/head, TRANSMISSION/ t-converter, AND Tcase. Added Hood Vents. Put in External Temp Guage To confirm temps. Changed AC compressor.

I *think* that would qualify for everything 8>)

Through all of this, temps still run 200-to 210 with the AC off. If I turn it on while on the trail or a hill... 220+ easily.

I'm not "complaining". It is, what it is. I just want to use my AC when it's hot out on the trail and I have my two young girls in the heep with me! If that means adding a fan or two (or five) so be-it. But don't ASSume it's a "band-aid" or I'm "not fixing my junk!"

It wasnt aimed at you, it was more general feedback. I try not to aim anything at anyone...

Also, dont forget the XJ is also designed to run @ 210... i wouldnt be shocked if someone was running a little hotter then this (220-230) i would only be concearned if it started to get right about or maybe a little more then the line on the gauge before where the red starts.

RCP Phx said:
Catch 22,your motor is supposed to run at 210*,the real question is the capacity to maintain it under any circumstances.Theres a hell of alot more things that plays into this,first is proper gearing which seams to be the last thing folks do.Second would be HD trans coolers for those with auto's.

33's with 4.88's.
New Trans Cooler

8>)

Back