• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Straight axle XJ

Well then it is hard to tell you how much they would charge without asking them first. I myself have never done the conversion, but am very interested in doing so. I think your best bet to find out how much it will cost is to call the shop and ask them for a price quote. From what I have gathered, it shouldnt cost TOO awful much so long as you have the axle already. The majority of the parts you would need would be raw materials, springs and a steering setup.

welded and made everything himself. He looked at pics of other jeeps and he tryed to build it himself. but instead fuc*ed it all up so now i have to fixe it but is leaf spring good on these or not? I need input.

strokethis said:
aight i talked to a shop in Alabama called Southern Offroad and they said the only way to due it without any liabilities is leaf spring. And they are my pretty good friends so i dont think they are trying to take me.
I am nowhere near an expert in this area, but even I can tell that you don't need "friends" like those. If they mean cost, then yes leaves, if they mean "liability", well, they need to learn the definition of the word. You will still have plenty of "liabilities" with a leaf sprung front end. I recommend asking them exactly what they mean by coils presenting with more liabilities than leaves, and ask specifically what becomes a liability and in what context. And how does using leaves avoid any "liabilities". That's pretty vague stuff there.
B.

what will you do with the rig?

Do some searching, see which set-up will set you best.

Then maybe most important, ask the shop doing the work how much each will cost. Also, why they recommend one over the other.

Good luck,
Jason

they recomend the leafs because the axle rolled and the kid welded everything himself. The steering the long arms the control arms he welded everything and his welds suck. So they would have to redo all his stuff anyways. They said it would be cheaper to leafs on it.

Anyone got a map, 'cause I'm lost? You have leaves now, and want to go back to coils in the front, or you have coils, and want leaves in front.

Ok got ya. Even though I have never ridden in a leafy front xj, I would think that the coils are the better choice. From anything I've seen coils flex better, and you dont have to deal with axle wrap. On the plus side it might be cheeper, and give you better ground clearance depending on how high your wanting to go. Which would be good, and high to fit 49's.

Strokethis, here is what you need to do. Post up what your overall plans for this jeep include. How do you want to wheel it? In what conditions? With what kinds of groups? I don't mean to be harsh here, but if you can't do any of the work on it at all, how are you going to troubleshoot the inevitable problems that will come from running 39.5's on 11" of lift on the trail? How experienced are you, both in wheeling and in building? What kind of budget are you working with? How much time do you have to build this thing up? What kind of front axle is currently in there? What kind of rear are you running? There are plenty more questions, but I'm sure others will chime in. And can you at least take pictures of it so that others can post them, or is it just not going to happen? You have certainly piqued the interest of several site users, so you will get some responses, we just need to know a LOT more information about your plans. Just a couple of cents for your consideration....
B.

Beezil said:
this thread sounds like a banjo
No shit, it's like an Abott and Costello skit.

Strokethis,
Trust me when I say that nobody on NAXJA is qualified to do a job as involved as this, so taking advice from these guys wouldn't be in your best interest. You should probably post this question on the www.pirate4x4.com forum. They would be more qualified to help you with a project of this magnitude.

Last edited:
Back