• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still Overheating. EVERYTHING changed.

This one is our new favorite in the Jeepspeed -

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-382012/overview/year/1999/make/jeep/model/cherokee

It has two 3/4" tubes and overall core of 1.5". It cools better than anything else we have used, including the $500 custom aluminum units.

Just throwing that out as an option.

Thanks for the suggestion, its definitely cheaper than the OEM radiator I'm currently eye-balling. The only thing is that it doesn't appear to have the trans cooler fitting on the lower driver side corner. The description makes no mention of it either. I looked around Summit and couldn't find one with the same specs AND the trans cooler.

After all of the time I've spent running the desert southwest, I'd advise you to listen to DieselSJ.

The new fittings probably come with the radiator, you'll just have to wrench them in. If they don't, source new ones.
Your old fittings may even work/be worth saving. If not, try hitting up any descent radiator shop.

This radiator can also be fixed a lot more easily if it should leak or you should damage it.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Also, consider changing out your condenser while you're at it.

They can appear deceptively clean on the surface while being severely restricted.
I pull my grill off once or twice a year to remove embedded debris and straiten/open fins with a dental pick.
Eventually they can become so jammed with bugs/grass/grit that no amount of picking & washing can clear them.

Just a thought... didn't see where this had been addressed yet.

Just read the whole thread. Have yoy checked the new radiator for internal clogs. Pull the condenser oyt of the way and use an infrared themometer to check the rad. The temp should gradually get cooler/hotter from one hose to the other. No cold/ hot spots. I know you are planing on replacing it but more checking can't hurt. Do it while running or right after.

Why not just go to an external trans cooler and cut out the in radiator trans cooler?

Possible test to determine if its air flow or coolant as increasing rpms will increase both. Find the biggest fan you can and sit it infront if the xj while its in your driveway. If the temps stabalize then air flow is the problem. If not, then coolant flow could be the problem.

Wow guys, thanks for the input... There's a lot to consider.

REDHEEP/devildog0: What would be good options for an external trans cooler set up? Where to buy or mount? What about piping (trans lines and fittings)? What is the cost of something like this?

Crawler: There seems to be "plug" on the Summit radiator where the trans line would normally be. Is there any way of determining if this specific radiator has a trans cooler inside (internal plumbing connected to where that plug is)? Also, I have pressure washed my radiator/condenser. A considerable amount of mud/gunk did come out. I continued until the water was clear. I also ran a light thru the back side of the radiator/condenser and was able to see it from the front. Not sure if that's good/clean enough though. And my AC is ice cold (even when the engine temps creep to overheating). Thoughts?

Dragonlich1961: The fan idea is great. My buddy has a high powered fan that I can borrow so I'll definitely try that out. As for checking for radiator clogs, I've always wanted to buy a inferred thermometer so that check will be fun. I'll post results.

I hold off on buying another radiator until I do the checks mentioned above and get clarification on the trans cooler. Thanks again guys for the help.

There seems to be "plug" on the Summit radiator where the trans line would normally be. Is there any way of determining if this specific radiator has a trans cooler inside (internal plumbing connected to where that plug is)? Also, I have pressure washed my radiator/condenser. A considerable amount of mud/gunk did come out. I continued until the water was clear. I also ran a light thru the back side of the radiator/condenser and was able to see it from the front. Not sure if that's good/clean enough though. And my AC is ice cold (even when the engine temps creep to overheating). Thoughts?

The description in the link to that radiator says that it comes with the internal trans cooler.
Why not send them an e-mail or give them a call and ask?
I used something similar (made by Modine) back in '05 and it worked great. I believe I also had to wrench in the lower fitting.
If I didn't already have a 52080104AC in my current daily driver, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of these.

You can't wash tiny gravel pebbles out too well with a pressure washer. They have to be picked out.
Try holding a dollar bill up to your condenser with both fans running. If it sticks anywhere you place it when you let it go, you're probably okay.

Last edited:
The description in the link to that radiator says that it comes with the internal trans cooler.
Why not send them an e-mail or give them a call and ask?
I used something similar (made by Modine) back in '05 and it worked great. I believe I also had to wrench in the lower fitting.
If I didn't already have a 52080104AC in my current daily driver, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of these.

You can't wash tiny gravel pebbles out too well with a pressure washer. They have to be picked out.
Try holding a dollar bill up to your condenser with both fans running. If it sticks anywhere you place it when you let it go, you're probably okay.

How is that 52080104AC radiator holding up? Any issues with it? I'll check the dollar bill thing as well.

Fortunately/unfortunately, the summer heat has finally died down here in Las Vegas and the Jeep is running cool as a cucumber lately. That's a good thing because nobody enjoys living in an oven, however, the cool temps aren't making my Jeep overheat anymore, so troubleshooting is more challenging. And, whatever work I do will remain unnoticed until next summer.

I'm thinking of swapping out my radiator anyway, and come next summer, if it overheats again, its going up for sale.

It's been in for a couple of years now and doing well.
The previous owner of my '99 had already installed it before I picked up the vehicle just about a year ago.
Adding a ZJ fan clutch was like icing the cake... :lickout:

You should see the dollar bill get pulled toward the condenser right away.
I did a custom e-fan mod once that would hold a dollar bill tightly to the grill... :D

Last edited:
How is that 52080104AC radiator holding up? Any issues with it? I'll check the dollar bill thing as well.

Fortunately/unfortunately, the summer heat has finally died down here in Las Vegas and the Jeep is running cool as a cucumber lately. That's a good thing because nobody enjoys living in an oven, however, the cool temps aren't making my Jeep overheat anymore, so troubleshooting is more challenging. And, whatever work I do will remain unnoticed until next summer.

I'm thinking of swapping out my radiator anyway, and come next summer, if it overheats again, its going up for sale.

If the ambient temperature goes down and the overheating goes away, that's a pretty good sign that you don't have enough radiator. You've simply increased the efficiency of the heat transfer of your radiator by reducing the temperature of the air going through it.

Works on airplanes too. V-22's have a gearbox heat changer that is too small, both area and core size. In the summer we fight overheats and in the winter everything is fine.

It's been in for a couple of years now and doing well.
The previous owner of my '99 had already installed it before I picked up the vehicle just about a year ago.
Adding a ZJ fan clutch was like icing the cake... :lickout:

You should see the dollar bill get pulled toward the condenser right away.
I did a custom e-fan mod once that would hold a dollar bill tightly to the grill... :D

Cool. I've got the triple e-fan setup from Dirtbound but haven't installed it yet. I'm still on the fence about installing it when I replace the radiator.

The only downside is that the kit I bought (nearly 2 months ago) wasn't complete and Dirtbound still hasn't sent all the hardware I need after contacting them 3 times. Their customer service kind of sucks.

If the ambient temperature goes down and the overheating goes away, that's a pretty good sign that you don't have enough radiator. You've simply increased the efficiency of the heat transfer of your radiator by reducing the temperature of the air going through it.

Works on airplanes too. V-22's have a gearbox heat changer that is too small, both area and core size. In the summer we fight overheats and in the winter everything is fine.

Yeah, I'm an aircraft mechanic too (Avionics and instrumentation) but our jets love the heat.... A-10C Warthog!!! :cool:

Cool. I've got the triple e-fan setup from Dirtbound but haven't installed it yet. I'm still on the fence about installing it when I replace the radiator.

The only downside is that the kit I bought (nearly 2 months ago) wasn't complete and Dirtbound still hasn't sent all the hardware I need after contacting them 3 times. Their customer service kind of sucks.

You think your jeep over heats now, just wait till you install his Triple E-fan. Heck you should have asked i bet the owner of the set i have here would have gave them to you. They are JUNK in places like Palm Springs and where you live.If you used a CC, cancel the order by the card company. They never filled your order so you have the right to do this.

Stock Rad and E-fan and new clutch if you haven't already replaced it. Stock works great in the desert, heck even in Death Valley.

Don't do the e-fans! How many times do WE have to tell you?? :nono: :twak: :D

The system I fabricated did the job really well but took a lot of fine-tuning to optimize and didn't leave much room clearance-wise.
Not worth all of the effort in the long run and not as dependable, IMO.

Assuming your condenser isn't blocked and head/gasket isn't cracked or leaking...
If you install one of the two recommended radiators, use an OEM stat & cap, the ZJ fan clutch, and an OEM or Hesco water pump you should be as good to go as it gets.
The recommended tranny cooler should be next, followed by perhaps some type of hood venting.

That's all I've got... :dunno:

Last edited:

The system I fabricated did the job really well but took a lot of fine-tuning to optimize and didn't leave much room clearance-wise.

Assuming your condenser isn't blocked and head/gasket isn't cracked or leaking...
If you install one of the two recommended radiators, use an OEM stat & cap, the ZJ fan clutch, and an OEM or Hesco water pump you should be as good to go as it gets.
The recommended tranny cooler should be next, followed by perhaps some type of hood venting.

Hood vents, ZJ fan clutch, and Stant cap are already in place!

Dude... the ZJ fan clutch is killing my MPG (from 12.5 to 11). Its noisy as hell and performance has taken a hit too. There's got to be something I can do with an e-fan set up.... if not Dirtbound's set up, maybe something different?

I like the idea of decreasing the parasitic drag by ditching the clutch fan and being able to keep the fans running for a little while after I shut the engine off on a hot day to help with vapor lock.

Any suggestions?

Dude... the ZJ fan clutch is killing my MPG (from 12.5 to 11). Its noisy as hell and performance has taken a hit too. There's got to be something I can do with an e-fan set up.... if not Dirtbound's set up, maybe something different?

I like the idea of decreasing the parasitic drag by ditching the clutch fan and being able to keep the fans running for a little while after I shut the engine off on a hot day to help with vapor lock.

Any suggestions?

Did you install the new radiator yet?

How old is your electric fan? And not all "stock" electric fans are created equal - the Crown units and the ones from the chain auto parts stores do not move as much air as the factory fans. The factory fans are worth the extra $$.

Yes, the mileage and performance hits are an affect of that fan clutch. It takes horsepower to move that fan.

You don't need a zj clutch if your radiator and cooling system are working properly. I took it off and threw it in the parts pile when I put the HD radiator in and put a stock one back on.

Back