• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still Overheating. EVERYTHING changed.

Was it this one? Or a radiator efficiency issue.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Radiator/_/R-NRS2802_0240358711

I still suggest picking up an actual OEM rad (tow package one is 160 dollars it's a "thick" single core) and dropping it in there. That one I posted is very similar if not the same to the Spectra CU1193 which I had in mine. I did the round and round parts replacement game thinking there was no way it was the radiator since it was brand new. Still had creeping over heating issues when it was cool but was manageable. During the summer it ran hot no matter what I did unless airflow/engine rpm ect was just right. Even after reading probably hundreds of overheating threads that usually always ended up the same way (Replaced x radiator with OEM tow package unit and problems solved) I still chased that problem around in circles even cutting hood vents into the Jeep hoping that would help. I could have saved myself time and money by just replacing with the Tow Package Rad in the first place instead of wasting 80 dollars on the aftermarket replacement unit. I was about to spend big bucks on aftermarket water pumps, high flow thero housing ect but glad I didn't.

Dropped the Tow Package Rad in there and all was cured. No need for fancy rads or high zoot electric fans. Now my Jeep runs at the Thermostat temps all the time gauge barely moves even with A/C on max and running up hill in SoCal in the mtns.

But it's just a suggestion. From what you've posted there's no indicator of head gasket leakage and IMO no need to go down that rabbit hole chasing a non-existent problem.

^^^^^^^What he said.. Worked on the Captains(Aaron) jeep. He went with the HEAVY duty rad on his from the dealer.Now we are changing back to the STOCK fan Set up and dropping the 3 Fan crap. He hasn't over heated on the road, but the 3 fans don't work in heavy loads as soft sand or long hill climbs on a 110 day out here.

GO all stock, your old rad could have needed to be serviced by a pro. The over the counter stuff to me is junk.

If the problem was blockage in the radiator then it would overheat at speed as well.
Blocked passages decrease fluid surface area which decreases heat dissipation. At high speed the fluid would move through too little of the radiator to dissipate enough heat before re-entering the engine, even with increased air flow.
(I just went though overheating hell. It would sit at 210 at idle, but climb at highway speeds. Replaced radiator and super flushed the system, now holds at 200).

Overheating at idle is an issue with fluid flow and/or air flow. Water pump is not moving fluid enough at idle or fans are not moving enough air at idle. Are your stock fan shrouds intact? If the fans do not have complete shrouds it decreases their efficiency to pull air through the radiator.

^^^^^^^What he said.. Worked on the Captains(Aaron) jeep. He went with the HEAVY duty rad on his from the dealer.Now we are changing back to the STOCK fan Set up and dropping the 3 Fan crap. He hasn't over heated on the road, but the 3 fans don't work in heavy loads as soft sand or long hill climbs on a 110 day out here.

GO all stock, your old rad could have needed to be serviced by a pro. The over the counter stuff to me is junk.

Do you have a part number for the HEAVY duty radiator? I went to the stealership yesterday and they only had 1 radiator listed. Part Number: 5191930AA for $197.75

Hey guys, sorry for not updating but I don't really have any updates. I've fixed my Tahoe and have been driving that around. I really haven't had the time to work on the Jeep until now, so I'll be posting more updates. I thank everyone for the suggestions in the mean time. I'm thinking of just replacing the radiator (with an OEM) like a few have suggested and swapping out the thermostat as well.

If this doesn't fix my problem, the XJ is going up for sale.

UPDATE: The dealership gave me radiator PN of 5191930AA for $197.75... while price checking, I found that radiator is for a 96ish Grand Cherokee. After searching NAXJA, it seems that the best (Heavy Duty) OEM radiator for a 99-01 XJ is PN 52080104AC. So I ordered from Morris 4X4 ($239 shipped).

As soon as it delivers, I'm going to swap the radiator, fan shroud, and thermostat at the same time. More to come.

I was looking at some fan clutch problems earlier, seems to match your symptoms as well. I see you replaced it twice but you can do a simple test. Just get the car warmed up a little (not hot) then start it and see if you can stop the fan with a piece of rolled up newspaper. Then when engine is hot and coolant is boiling try the same test. Should be able to stop it when warm but not when hot.

I was looking at some fan clutch problems earlier, seems to match your symptoms as well. I see you replaced it twice but you can do a simple test. Just get the car warmed up a little (not hot) then start it and see if you can stop the fan with a piece of rolled up newspaper. Then when engine is hot and coolant is boiling try the same test. Should be able to stop it when warm but not when hot.

After I swapped the original fan clutch with a replacement XJ clutch from NAPA, the mechanic did this test with a rag (and the clutch failed). So I returned that fan clutch to NAPA and picked up a ZJ fan clutch. That sucker is noticeably bigger and louder, however, I haven't done the test on this one yet.

Fortunately/unfortunately, the temps outside are getting cooler and the XJ is running a lot cooler as a result. I'm kind of worried that I won't be able to accurately determine if this radiator fixes the problem or not because its not as hot anymore. The Jeep would overheat if temps were in the 90s-100's, but didn't have any problems all last winter. I'd hate to reface this problem again next summer.

UPDATE:

The radiator I ordered online came in last night, broken. The fill neck snapped off during delivery I guess, as the box was a little jacked up. I contacted Morris 4x4 and they're taking care of me. However, this radiator isn't an OEM Mopar part, so I'm having my money refunded and ordering from Mopar directly. Here are a few pics... who doesn't like pics?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=517&pictureid=3683

http://www.naxja.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=517&pictureid=3684

Does that have plastic end-caps on it? I think a lot of people transition away from that to an all-metal radiator.

Does that have plastic end-caps on it? I think a lot of people transition away from that to an all-metal radiator.

It does have the plastic end caps. I believe all the OEM radiators have the plastic caps. I don't really have a problem with it as my original OEM radiator (with plastic caps) lasted for 14+ years and 160K miles... that being said, OEM plastic capped radiators are OK in my book.

This one is our new favorite in the Jeepspeed -

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-382012/overview/year/1999/make/jeep/model/cherokee

It has two 3/4" tubes and overall core of 1.5". It cools better than anything else we have used, including the $500 custom aluminum units.

Just throwing that out as an option.

Thanks for the suggestion, its definitely cheaper than the OEM radiator I'm currently eye-balling. The only thing is that it doesn't appear to have the trans cooler fitting on the lower driver side corner. The description makes no mention of it either. I looked around Summit and couldn't find one with the same specs AND the trans cooler.

Back