• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STEERING RECOMENDATIONS

I run .250 wall 1.75" DOM and still bent it...I was talking with someone that ran something like 2" .375 wall tubing for steering somewhere at some point..

The problem with too strong of a tie rod is it moves the weak point to your knuckle. Not a good trade off if you ask me. I carry a spare tie rod, but no spare knuckles.

The problem with too strong of a tie rod is it moves the weak point to your knuckle. Not a good trade off if you ask me. I carry a spare tie rod, but no spare knuckles.

Yep . That is a concern. I got rod of the hydro so that should help a ton. I am waiting on ruffstuffs new outers to come out this year and then ill be swapping those on....

I just found play on my currie drag link end at pitman. Replaced that and found play at drag link.
so hopefully about 200 buck I will be all good for this summer. I have 2 years on currie, so i guess
Thats maybe average life ? Wish it was a bit longer?

2 years is really good if you are wheeling tough trails and beating on it and driving it to and from . My used setup took a couple years to need a TRE at the pitman arm.

Just think go how many stock tie rods you would have killed in that time ...

I don't understand why there are no aftermarket companies, currie included, that do not make a drag link that is replaceable on both ends. I mean, something clearly beefy like currie should be able to do that. Even if there were a sleeve like on the pitman arm side. Maybe a dom tube with threaded bungs or threaded in itself.

Isnt the ruffstuff ylink kit able to do that?

That's not a stock setup.

Currie/ "stock style" drag link runs from pitman arm to knuckle.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=1219

Ruffstuff/ "1-ton steering" tie rod runs knuckle to knuckle, drag link connects to tie rod.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/YLINK.html

Lots of people run the "1-ton" setup, RS now has a machined apparatus to deflect the tie rod roll. But it's not the same.
Crossover steering makes sense to me. But a plug n pray/bolt-in solution is necessary for some.

Pretty sure i read somewhere (vender advertisements thread) that the ruffstuff setup could be run as inverted T(tierod knuckle to knuckle) or inverted Y(draglink pitman to knuckle). It is also can be reamed for either utk or otk on the passenger side. Something that currie is not able to do. Seems like its the answer. I may be wrong but thats how I understood it at the time that kit was released.

Pretty sure i read somewhere (vender advertisements thread) that the ruffstuff setup could be run as inverted T(tierod knuckle to knuckle) or inverted Y(draglink pitman to knuckle). It is also can be reamed for either utk or otk on the passenger side. Something that currie is not able to do. Seems like its the answer. I may be wrong but thats how I understood it at the time that kit was released.

I do not think that the pass side TRE for the RS 1-ton setup is high misalignment, which would be necessary for use as a drag link. It also does not have a bend in it like the stock drag link. Which in theory is not a big deal on a stock/stock-ish setup. But when you add a thicker diff cover and other stuff it could interfere. I guess one could bend the tube, but then there still leads to more modifications and having the correct equipment or paying some more money to build it.
But, the only thing I can think of that could be close to a stock style setup would be a high mis TRE that fits their new tapered adapter piece. Although you still no do have the added clearance, unless there are high mis offset TRE's

I believe it is high misalignment. I looked at the spares I have in the garage and it has the same size misalignment offset the tre at the pitman arm has.

I have Serious offroad 1 ton steering and really have no problem with tie rod roll. I use the bushings JCR sells to combat tie rod roll (I would buy them from Serious but didn't see them on his site) and change them once a year or so. If someone is complaining of a huge dead spot they aren't doing something right. It has no worse dead spot then my Mustang or brand new f350 I drive at work.

How much lift do you run blubullet? The steeper the angle the worse the roll will be. When the jeep still had 7.5" re springs, the dead spot was pretty bad. With the Dana 44 I run heims with a separate drag link and tie rod and there is no comparison to how much better it drives.

I don't understand why there are no aftermarket companies, currie included, that do not make a drag link that is replaceable on both ends. I mean, something clearly beefy like currie should be able to do that. Even if there were a sleeve like on the pitman arm side. Maybe a dom tube with threaded bungs or threaded in itself.

The way the currie setup is built its not really safe to do it like that. The angles required to clear all the brackets there isn't a good way to have a threaded end at the Knuckle and not bend it or put pressure the wrong way against a jam nut.

As far as bending tie-rods goes, the currie tie-rod is designed to bend and be bent back rather than damage other steering parts. Bending is not a failure. If you can't live with that SAVVY off-road makes an unbendable tierod for the currie steering. 4340 heat threaten chromoly. It will spring back like a leaf spring.

For those of you going through tie-Rod ends in a short amount of time make sure you are not overtraveling the ends. I had that problem and it's rather common in XJs. I put my drag link in a press and added about 5* of angle to give it more down travel.

Back