• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STEERING RECOMENDATIONS

I run synergy ball joints. they rock but they are pricey. for track bars that are bolt on, either rubicon express, JKS, or kevins off road are all good.

Any concern running the stock size TREs with the Currie?

Also, I've already drilled mine out straight and then put in a tapered insert for the larger TREs. Is there an insert to adapt them back to standard size so I can run the Currie?

Hopefully someone can answer you on this but if not i believe i will have a stock D30 if thats what your running soon that i have in the shed once i finish this 30. just does not come with axles but pretty much everything else except axles and brakes.

Any concern running the stock size TREs with the Currie?

Also, I've already drilled mine out straight and then put in a tapered insert for the larger TREs. Is there an insert to adapt them back to standard size so I can run the Currie?

you may or may not need new knuckles. the Go Fer It inserts require a 3/4" hole, can you safely drill a 3/4" hole through the current inserts ?

I drilled to 3/4 and welded in the goferit insert for over the knuckle on the driver side. Then removed my swaybar links and clearanced the coil mounts.

Last edited:
i like rubicon express track bars & brackets.
bonus points if you also get their cross frame support bar for the bracket as well.

i like rubicon express track bars & brackets.
bonus points if you also get their cross frame support bar for the bracket as well.

Yes! Get the cross brace on before any twisting or cracking starts. I have run that same set-up for many years now. Even reconfigured my RE track bar to work with the WJ steering and raised track bar mount.

I as well have the rubicon express 1600 track bar. I use the 1/2" bolt bushing at the axle end. I rebuilt the axle mount with a rustys bracket. And use a rustys frame bracket and cross frame brace. I ended up with all that because i got it all for free. I would deffately suddest going all re 1660 and brace.

I currently run RE 1660HD/associated bracket and brace. Got it for a deal. Prior I was running a RE1600 with a modified stock mount to run double sheer. The RE is nice, although maybe consider the Synergy suspension setup also. I believe price point for that is about the same.

As far as steering, everyone else pretty much said it.. Currie. I personally want to go with crossover steering setup, as I intend to run the WJ setup or a high steer knuckle at some point.

I also ran the Currie when I still had my d30. I ran it with 4" lift, then 4.5" and eventually with a 6" Full Traction lift. It drove great on the road with all the different heights and 32" to 35" tires. Freeways to winding mountain roads it felt like it was still stock as far as ease of driving. I just wish I could get my cross over steering on my d44 to drive that well.

awesome well thanks guys. just put the currie in today and it bolted up with ease. grease gun gave me some trouble but now I'm a master haha. waiting on my buddy to see if i can get a discount on the ball joints and track bar.

Can i run the Re track bar with stock mounts for the time being? or is that a problem?

The RE1660HD will need an aftermarket frame side bracket for sure. The axle side fits, but the later version of it has a bushing with a sleeve for a 1/2" bolt. easy enough to drill out the stock axle side hole and use a matching bolt/nut set. The one I am currently running has the stock 10mm sleeve.
If you get an RE1600 then you drill out the stock mount and run in single sheer like factory. Although, I do not recommend this for very long as the hole likes to wallow itself out.

A bracket is really easy to make for the 1660 if you have a welder. Might be easier to just buy the proper bracket though. Also get the bracket brace from Rubicon express before your fram cracks

What does everyone think of the ORO U-turn steering?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/those-who-have-oro-u-turn-steering-post-pics-401708/

uturn09.jpg

One of the local to me off-road shop owners said he designed the original kit. Then later sold the idea/setup to his friend. Supposed to be the best plug n pray/bolt-in setup available for the XJ.
I thought about going that route, but I found a deal on WJ swap parts.

Yep, I did take that into account. However going OTK appears to open up a new can of worms with other components so it was a tradeoff I was willing to make, given this is my daily driver too.

Back