• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STEERING RECOMENDATIONS

goodwilljeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

so i went to turn my jeep (from a straight parked position) and heard what i thought was a gun shot. turns out my tie rod part that connects to the steering stabilizer and pitman arm snapped clean in half. never seen or heard of this one. like someone took knife and cut it like butter. :bawl: :helpme:

soooo i have a replacement i believe, but I know i need to redo my whole steering from having all of the rod ends and joints completely shot as well as my steering box.

I have a spare steering box but my question to you is there any great steering our there i should invest in? should i stay stock (zj steering currently)

This was the budget bucket but I'm getting into important life threatening components and don't mind spending the money.

what do you run? what do you recommend? please point me in the direction if this is a repeat forum

Stay away from RRO and there garbage they put out, look up the WJ swap or if you don't want to piece it together Clayton has the kit for a pretty Penny. JCR and Currie also have very nice steering setups

Currie has the best bolt on type steering you can buy. There are many other options that require some work to install but are good as well. Decide what fits your wallet and your wheeling style and go from there. Be sure to ask questions before making your purchase, rather than learn you bought some crappy parts after the fact.

also does anyone know how the currie system does on the road? being a DD i would like to have the better steering performance. it bolts right up so i would assume it would behave like stock which isn't bad.

also would currie have a lot of bump steer (also what is bump steer haha)

Sam, If you are going to be in Sac area anytime soon or know anyone traveling through, I have stock steering you can borrow until you get the aftermarket steering in.

also does anyone know how the currie system does on the road? being a DD i would like to have the better steering performance. it bolts right up so i would assume it would behave like stock which isn't bad.

also would currie have a lot of bump steer (also what is bump steer haha)

Currie is a direct replacement, and it has better angles on the drag link ends to account for lifted vehicles. No bump steer as long as you have a stock stlye track bar. It isn't cheap, but it is easy to install.

I don't really have any experience with any other set-up so I can't comment on them.

If you are broke zj stuff is beefy but I recommend currie all the way if you have the 600$ - OR I believe there are 2 sets in the chapterfor sale forum right now . I beat the snot out of my currie and bent it multiple times and would merely adjust toe out and the jeep drove better with the dana 30 and the currie than anything I've done with the 44 and the ruffstuff steering. Keep in mind replacement TREs for the currie setup is about 72$ shipped- Each.

I believe prior to running the currie setup, I ran a ZJ drag link and tie rod and that was cheap and easy also. I got the tie rod for 25$ at PNP and ordered the drag link new from autozone. Wasn't too bad.

Last edited:
I recommend Currie, especially if you drive it on the street. I had JCR 1-ton steering but the tie-rod roll eventually led to a huge dead zone in the steering. I had to toss it out and go with Currie.

I recommend Currie, especially if you drive it on the street. I had JCR 1-ton steering but the tie-rod roll eventually led to a huge dead zone in the steering. I had to toss it out and go with Currie.
I have the Serious Offroad version and although I like the heft offroad, driving on the highway is a nightmare. I'd stay away from these inverted T(Y) setups.

currie is the way to go. bolt it on & forget about it. install a goferit taper bung so you can flip to over the knuckle on the driver side for extra street cred!

someone had a used currie setup on here a few days ago for $250, a good deal for sure!

I have currie on both jeeps. I also run the goferit on the driverside of the white jeep. If you do go over the the knuckle on the driver side, you will need to relocate your sway bar links up higher. Also clearance the coil buckets. It is a solid steering setup.

SAAWWWEEEET. love my naxja family.

well after taking in your opinions and looking at what i can find in catalogs and online searches i think currie is the way i will go. I don't mind spending money if something fits, works well, and is trusted by a lot, also the fact that my jeeps life rides on it as well my passengers.

also I'm pretty sure I am running a zj tie rod/drag link replacement and thats what snapped. ill post some pics later. but i finally got it home and its out of commission till i get the setup, cause the drag link is held on by 2 jammed in carter pins cause the nut is stripped. thanks guys!!

also trying to track down that $250 steering setup

currie is the last steering you may ever have. its that good. there wont be iterations of replacement and breakage. It just plain rocks.

The only caution with buying a used Currie setup is to make sure the TRE's aren't toast. They generally last a long time if lubed, but they can be rather pricey to replace. I had my Currie steering for years and never had to replace a TRE.

I paid 72$ for a currie drag link at the pitman arm Tie rod end. that was messed up. Use that to get the price down. tell him you think one or more of the ends are bad and they are 72$ shipped each to replace.

alright thanks guys.

And one more final question if the track bar question gets answered.

are synergy ball joints good? (4120) and do i have to drill for these. or what ball joints are you running.

Back