• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow plow causing overheating issues

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I have a 1999 XJ that I use as a plow vehicle in the winter. It is my daily driver, I have no issues with it in the summer or winter unless I am transporting the snow plow. My only trouble is when I am transporting it my engine overheats very quickly. It is fine if I stay under 40 miles per hour, the electric fan can keep up with the cooling duties. Unfortunately, I live in an area that is all country roads, 55 miles per hour is the speed limit. If I drop the plow down and ride with it only one inch of the ground I am fine This is just not practical though I cannot hit any bumps, go over train tracks, or even pull in the driveway. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get more air behind the plow, or a way to get some extra cooling? Thanks everyone.

2012-10-20_13-49-15_774.jpg

Here she is.

The xj never came with a "snow plow prep" package as pick ups do. I would say go for the zj fan clutch and wire up your e fan to a switch. The zj fan clutch (search for the thread) will lock up more firmly and having the efan on a switch as well as it running when the PCM calls for is a great thing. Fan clutch will most likely help a bit, I will say this though, make sure your motor mounts are in amazing shape. I can gaurentee you that yours are shot whether you feel it or not, the zj clutch is a bit bigger and if you happen to have worn mounts then you run the risk of your clutch hitting the radiator ruining it.

Also something most over looked is the condition of your coolant and the radiator. Flush the system and get some new fluid in there, if your rad has high miles on it I would consider getting a CSF 3 core all metal one. When I replaced mine I saw that my jeep didnt struggle as much with cooling and the efan came on less often.

So in short- flush the fluid, if your rad is original/high miles replaces with a CSF, think about upgrading the fan clutch (biggest helper in your case, and run the efan to a seperate switch (will cost like 10 bucks with some wiring and a relay).

1-make sure rad is clean inside and out,flush if necessary
2- replace the clutch fan with NAPA#272310 HD cooling for97-98 ZJ
3-Space up the rear of the hood and/or add hood vents

And really how hot is too hot ? 210 is normal, if its not pushing water out it may not really be hot, the ECU is running your guage,,,,verify your real temp.

Thanks for the info, my xj does only have 85,000 miles on it. New radiator, and has had a flush and fill done. I started there first. If I was to use a zj cooling fan, wouldn't that only engage with engine at idle, or just above? My issue is when I am driving. And Wayne, I run at about 210 when staying at 40mph or below. My Jeep gets so hot the needle pegs out on the temp gauge and the red check gauge light comes on...

The xj never came with a "snow plow prep" package as pick ups do.
I'm 90% sure they had an option... from either the dealers or Jeep.

FIRST! Are you relying on the factory dash guage to tell you the temps? If so go and get a second opinion BEFORE you do anything else. Add a permanent real temp guage.

Do you have the manual override switch for the electric OE fan? If not- get it done.
As for the overheating, it sounds like your air flow is not enough. Try getting a ford taurus dual speed fan, there are a few write ups on it. Some of the results I've read are impressive.

Hood vents might be mentioned, but I doubt they would be of any benefit in this situation- (lack of air being pulled into the engine bay).

Good luck and report back.

You could try simply treating the Jeep as if the plow were a trailer.

Pix tells me your have a lifted XJ with taller tires than stock (Or atleast different wheels). I am going to go out on a limb and "Assume" you have an automatic.

With the plow you have one huge air dam and your Jeep looks more like a brick than usual. You have also blocked the direct flow to the radiator.

By dropping the top gear from D (Actually OD) to 3, you will allow the engine not to struggle so much, will reduce your tranny temps, and will up your fan speed.

Give it a shot, it's free :)

WB9YZU, I just tried running in 3 instead of OD. Turns out it over heats faster. I thought that the clutch fan only ran when the engine was at idle? This is why when you do a "roll test" for emissions they have to use the giant fan in front of the vehicle to keep it from over heating. I do have the override switch for my electric fan and run the heat on high when transporting my plow. I am going to do some more research, I'll let everyone know what I figure out. PLEASE though, keep the suggestions coming. I like the dual speed option. I'll hit up my local pull-a-part in the morning.

No, the clutch fan is thermostatically controlled and is viscus coupled.
The hotter the radiator gets, the hotter the fan clutch should get, and it will lock up to give you more cooling (there is a coil on the front of the clutch).

If the radiator is "hot", and the fan free-runs at speed, you have a fan clutch issue you need to investigate.

BTW: Just so we have an idea what kind of numbers you are talking.
What exactly do you call "Overheated"? 210 is normal. 220? 230?

BTW: I have faith in the stock XJ system. I have pulled Jeeps (on and off trailers) on the Hwy with my XJ and don't overheat.
If you are getting heating issues big time, you are either completely blocking the flow over the radiator, or there is an existing issue with the cooling system that needs to be addressed. I think you will find though, that most folks who try to transport a plow at summer of fall temps have cooling issues; and that's not just an XJ issue.

-Ron

Last edited:
You need more air flow at speed. I'd consider a pusher fan in front of the radiator, and hood vents. A seperate tranny cooler moved into what airflow exists with the plow raised would help.

I wasn't going to bring up hood vents, not on a 99'.

Depending which exhaust manifold he has, the vents could make the 99-01 heat soak issue worse because it directs the hot air from the 2 cats though the manifold and over the injectors.

You need more air flow at speed. I'd consider a pusher fan in front of the radiator, and hood vents. A seperate tranny cooler moved into what airflow exists with the plow raised would help.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. It looks like the plow and all the gadgets attached are blocking the airflow at speed. You did say its better when the plow is an inch from the ground.

Think what happens when you have a bug deflector on. Granted they work like crap, but they force the majority of the air up, away from the windshield. the plow is doing exactly the same thing.

Have you ever tried tripping the plow so that it lays over forward? You defiantly have a not enough airflow over the rad issue. Maybe come up with a sort of air deflector on the plow to direct air that flows over top of it back down into the grill.

Hi everyone. Souske, the plow comes off when not in use, Jeep still climbs to 250 degrees even when it is 0 degrees outside with the plow. I ordered up the fan from napa for the zj as well as the electric fan and will be installing them this week. The Napa guy also made the suggestion of air scoops, only thing is it would have to scoop air from the road as my view is already extremely obstructed with the plow lights and the hydraulic cylinder. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Okay, so I definetly miss read the taurus fan and zj fan. I thought that the taurus fan would take the place of my ac fan and I could use both the zj and the electric. I did put the zj fan on, but it is super close to the radiator. I have to do some more research on the ford fan before I can get it in and wired up. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

It's most likely the plow is forcing more air under your jeep where the hot air exits the rad and preventing airflow through the rad. To see if it is, you could clamp a piece of plywood to the plow leaving an inch gap from the road with the plow up. If the doesn't overheat with the wood in place, it's the hot air exit issue and probably fans won't help. If airflow under the vehicle is the problem, attaching a remove able air deflector to the plow is a possible solution or adding an air dam to the vehicle is another.

Back