• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S&W Roll Cage question

does the a pillar just stop at the bottom of the windshield frame?

looks dumb

This is off-topic, but all of the Rock Hard cages I've seen use 1/2" plate to go down the sides of the dashboard in place of a piece of tube. So the tube stops but the structure does not (in theory).

RH-1012-1-5T.jpg

Last edited:
This is off-topic, but all of the Rock Hard cages I've seen use 1/2" plate to go down the sides of the dashboard in place of a piece of tube. So the tube stops but the structure does not (in theory).

RH-1012-1-5T.jpg
I believe that at least a few of the prebent TJ cages use this same method.

I have part of a S&W cage in my XJ. The only issue I have with it is when I get in I wack my head on the grab handles. I'm pretty sure mine is HREW. They now offer the 1-5/8 in EWS or chromoly. 1-3/4 is those or DOM. It's not a bad cage but it is cheap. Mine fits well because I modified it a little and made it that way. I haven't rolled my XJ yet but would think it would hold up just fine since I cross braced it. I was kinda concerned about it not being DOM so when I added the rear hoops at the "B", "C", and "D" pillar I used DOM. So basicaly(sp) the only part that isn't DOM is the front hoop around the driver/passanger seats and windshield. DOM doesn't mean it won't bend but atleast there isn't a seam in the tube persay. I feel comfortable with what I have. There are better cages out there. Mine was a steal since it was used not new.
Here are a few pics, still working on it.

IMG00242-20100530-0023.jpg

IMG00243-20100530-0024.jpg

IMG00234-20100528-1351.jpg

IMG00279-20100607-2225.jpg

Good luck,
Stukboy

My point being that the stock roll bar got dented, not the aftermarket add-ons.

I'm not saying that that bolt-on cage is good or bad. I am saying that picture does not back up Jim's claim.

E

How does it not back up my claim? Look at the a-pillar, its bent... Furthermore it's a SHITTY cage design, regardless of which part failed. There's no reason to cheap out on a cage, if you expect it to save your life.

That being said the S&W cage would more than likely hold up to a roll with some added tubing, but from a design standpoint, it could be better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

im gonna go out on a limb and say a cherokee with the rockhard cage under a roof will hold up better than a factory wrangler cage with a couple bars bolted to it.

i still wont touch a bolt on cage. but i think comparing the xj unit to a failed wrangler unit isnt the greatest comparison.

im gonna go out on a limb and say a cherokee with the rockhard cage under a roof will hold up better than a factory wrangler cage with a couple bars bolted to it.

i still wont touch a bolt on cage. but i think comparing the xj unit to a failed wrangler unit isnt the greatest comparison.
That may be... however, you've also got more weight that's going to come down on it. And the bottom line is, they've both got that retarded tube > plate > tube A-Pillar thing which is one of the parts that failed on the Wrangler... And at just shy of $1,000 for a Rock Hard cage you'd be crazy not to consider other cages.

Look at this cage and tell me what's keeping it from folding?

imagemagic.php

Also keeping in mind, it probably only bolts to the floor, with no re-enforcement underneath... (The T&J cage also bolts to the floor, but you should add frame gusseting under the floor to support it, someone with a bolt in cage will not go to that extent)

That may be... however, you've also got more weight that's going to come down on it. And the bottom line is, they've both got that retarded tube > plate > tube A-Pillar thing which is one of the parts that failed on the Wrangler... And at just shy of $1,000 for a Rock Hard cage you'd be crazy not to consider other cages.

i agree. i just dont think a tj cage is a good comparison.

stock for stock tj's are heavier than xjs as well. although we do add stupid amounts of metal to keep them from caving in on themselves

IMG00243-20100530-0024.jpg

Good luck,
Stukboy

See, that's the major difference I see between the SW and the T&J. All the pillars hug the interior so much better. My T&J Cage is touching my A-pillar all the way up and it hugs the roof line within a 1/4" front to back.

I like that. Saves lots of room.

in a bit of defense, that bolt on piece probably saved their life. i can only imagine what that jeep would look like without anything but a hinged windshield frame for protection.

I have teh rock hard bolt in cage in mine and it is supported on the bottom by my rock rail kickers. The main reason I put the cage in is because my body was already cracked up real bad. It made a huge difference in the structural rigidity of the body. I feel this cage would protect me well in a low speed flop or roll. Anything higher speed and I would not expect it to hold up really well. I am happy with it as it serves my needs for now. It is certainly not better than other things I could have done but it is far better than nothing at all. Let's hope I never have to test it.

in a bit of defense, that bolt on piece probably saved their life. i can only imagine what that jeep would look like without anything but a hinged windshield frame for protection.

the OEM cage has bars that go fromt he B-pillar to the windshield.

the OEM cage has bars that go fromt he B-pillar to the windshield.

I didn't think that YJs or TJs had a "real" piece there, only the JKs? I think it's really really thin metal with some foam / canvas around it (mostly for looks) in the TJ / YJ. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't think that YJs or TJs had a "real" piece there, only the JKs? I think it's really really thin metal with some foam / canvas around it (mostly for looks) in the TJ / YJ. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe its .120 wall. I have removed a few from friends TJs, they are heavier than they look.

the weakest part is probably the end plates with bolts in shear, but they would still probably protect you from a low to medium roll.

I wouldn't trust a factory cage in a high speed rollover without the hard-top.

Back