• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendations on Spark Plugs

Another spark plug thread!!!1!

Any plug but BOScH I ran them in my wrangler and had nothing but problems. The check engine light always came on and when starting sometimes it would back fire threw the throttle body. I like NGK myself

Really?!? i have ran bosch platinum plus's for 3 years now and i like them a lot... i just got some fresh ones in there today..never had any problems with them either

any one ever use motorcraft plugs?

Really?!? i have ran bosch platinum plus's for 3 years now and i like them a lot... i just got some fresh ones in there today..never had any problems with them either
The check engine light was always coming on and the code was intermitent misfire. I'am a mechanic for a living and some of my mechanic friends ran into same problem. Since I pulled them out about 4 years ago I have had no problems, plus better power and fuel mileage about 2 miles to a gallon. They where the plat 4s.

The check engine light was always coming on and the code was intermitent misfire. I'am a mechanic for a living and some of my mechanic friends ran into same problem. Since I pulled them out about 4 years ago I have had no problems, plus better power and fuel mileage about 2 miles to a gallon. They where the plat 4s.

oh ok!! i work at kragen, i was very unsure to run the +2's or +4's i just like the single electrode plus's i never had a problem with em! but to each his own:D!

So I have had the rc12s in for two days now and the 4.6 does not like them--occasionally bucks and last night wouldn't rev past 3K when I got on it(surge)--dunno if I should fool with the gap. Pinging was almost non-existent in the 2.5K-3K area, the area that the rc9s had some during part throttle accel. I should've tried out the NGKs, based on your recs(Wolf and Talyn can be a lil sketchy you know, jk), but had to see the difference b/t the 9s and 12s. Before the 4.6, the 96 4.0 did well with autolite double plats.

Last edited:
So I have had the rc12s in for two days now and the 4.6 does not like them--occasionally bucks and last night wouldn't rev past 3K when I got on it(surge)--dunno if I should fool with the gap. Pinging was almost non-existent in the 2.5K-3K area, the area that the rc9s had some during part throttle accel. I should've tried out the NGKs, based on your recs(Wolf and Talyn can be a lil sketchy you know, jk), but had to see the difference b/t the 9s and 12s. Before the 4.6, the 96 4.0 did well with autolite double plats.

There used to be an engine rebuild shop (actuall they were called Engine rebuilders) that I used to warn people about before they went out of business that would used spark plugs like that, you know, "heat range doesn't matter, just put in whatever fits in the hole."

I went with the v-power heat range 5 this last time around, seems to be about right for my build. We shall see when I pull them next time and see what color the ceramic is.

Whats your current gap? IIRC if you are missing at higher RPMS you need to close the gap up. Also, from what I have read you need to close teh gap a bit for higher compression.

I went with the stock .035" gap on the 12s. A few days earlier I tried closing the 9s to .030" and that helped the 2.5-3K range some. I kept those plugs and they're still good, so I'll swap them back in for now. So what are the colder ranges of the ngks? And range 5 is how many below the stock one?

Ive had problems with all kinds of plugs. The E3 plugs are the only ones I'll run now. It runs so much smoother then any other to me.

the lawnmower plugs? Honestly other than in the package they sell from quadratec the only place I have seen those is in the lawnmower aisle. No offense, but I consider them another gimmick plug.

I'm no expert, but did have an expert tell me once that the 4.0 can be sensitive to plugs. He's had lots of folks come in with runability issues...changed the plugs to the original stock Autolite plugs and problems go away. I've run them in my '89 4.0 without problems...and that's 270,000 miles. They aren't spendy either...bonus!

Back