• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poll: What would you run? Tires

What would you run?

• 36x13.5x15 Bias Iroks

Votes: 33 23.9%
  • 36x13.5x15 Radial Iroks

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • 37x12.5x15 MTRs

Votes: 70 50.7%

• Total voters

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to decide... here's my options:

1. 36x13.5x15 Bias Iroks (approx. 64lb & 36.8" OD) $186.00/ea
2. 36x13.5x15 Radial Iroks (approx. 81lb & 36.0" OD) $230.00/ea
3. 37x12.5x15 MTRs (approx. 76lb & 36.7" OD) $243.00/ea

I plan to run 15x8 beadlocks... either Allied Rock-a-thons, TR's, or Champions. Should I go aluminum or steel?

I need something that will still balance somewhat (I also plan to run beads inside the tire). I like to drive the jeep on the road but its not really a DD. I like to drive it to the trails and drive it home...

Please share some insite with me.. how would bias hold up on the road? let me know any pros/cons you can.. I need to make a decision in the next week or so.

Also, we run slippery wet rocks here in the SE (Tellico, etc.) I hate mud and avoid it at all cost! Like to drive the jeep on the road some when it's nice. Want the best bang for the buck and need some help.

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT: Also if you have any better info (weight/OD,etc.) about the tires please share....

Ive read good things about the Pro Comp extreme's I have a set of 31" on mine and its a DD. I think these handle very well on the road and on the trails. I haven't had them on rock yet. I think these are a great all around tire.

For Extreme trails/wheeling my choices are

1) IROKS
2) TSL SX
3) Maxxis Creepy Crawler

Bias for the trails. If your rig is a dd then Radial. But if it sees more trail time than Road, bias all the way. IROK's are the new standard in tires for ALL types of wheelin.

Out of the 3 choices in the poll I voted for the MT/R because you plan on driving it on-road too. I'm on my 3rd set and that is after switching back from an Interco tire...

uncc civilengineer said:
Im trying to decide... here's my options:

1. 36x13.5x15 Bias Iroks (approx. 64lb & 36.8" OD) $186.00/ea
2. 36x13.5x15 Radial Iroks (approx. 81lb & 36.0" OD) $230.00/ea
3. 37x12.5x15 MTRs (approx. 76lb & 36.7" OD) $243.00/ea

I plan to run 15x8 beadlocks... either Allied Rock-a-thons, TR's, or Champions. Should I go aluminum or steel?

I need something that will still balance somewhat (I also plan to run beads inside the tire). I like to drive the jeep on the road but its not really a DD. I like to drive it to the trails and drive it home...

Please share some insite with me.. how would bias hold up on the road? let me know any pros/cons you can.. I need to make a decision in the next week or so.

Also, we run slippery wet rocks here in the SE (Tellico, etc.) I hate mud and avoid it at all cost! Like to drive the jeep on the road some when it's nice. Want the best bang for the buck and need some help.

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT: Also if you have any better info (weight/OD,etc.) about the tires please share....

i hope "beads" you mean airsoft pellets and not the bead of the tires because then the beadlocks wouldnt really work

I voted for the Bias Iroks. Seth at RockLogic 4x4(I trust pros) said that if you can't afford the Maxxis or BFG competition treads, the iroks are the best in the rocks. He said they wear quite well also. I voted bias over radials because it sounds like your street driving is fairly limited.

If your doing any DD street driving, go for the radials.

Buddy of mine got the Bias and they are wearing so fast it was a waste of $1000.

I'm also in the market for a set of the 36 iroks radials.

uncc civilengineer said:
:huh:

Were you serious?

Actually I dont plan to run airsoft pellets b/c they tend to turn to dust over time.... I was referring to Dyna Beads from Innovative Balancing (ceramic beads) http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ ...

I'm on my second set of tires with my first set of airsoft pellets.. no dust yet, they still work great.

What axles and gearing are you looking at?

Given the options, I'd do MT/R's. I've been on the trail with a lot of people on a lot of tires, and given the same tire size, the MT/R performs better anywhere but mud.. and on the highway, iroks are uncozy.

Second choice would probably be bias iroks.. but I'd never go with the second choice. I really believe Iroks are only popular because they are cheap. :)

cal,

the setup is 44's Ft/Rr and 5.13's. ARB out back and Aussie up front.

I like the MTR's as well but im curious as to longevity of the MTR's vs. the Irok Radials. As for cost there really isnt much differrenct b/n the Irok radials and MTR's.

Another thing is I know out west the MTR's would be great in the dry conditions but what about the wet wheeling we do out this way?

I've run my MT/R's wet a bunch of times. On wet rock they slip a bit, but everything does. They do great in snow, sand, just not really mud. Irok's dont last that long. I've got nearly 25k on my 35" MT/R's and there is still half tread or so left.

My tire choices on that setup, in no particular order

MT/R (37)
Baja Claw (37)
Creepy Crawler (37)

With lesser options:

Irok
Maxxis Trepador (spelling?)
TruXus MT (good for rigs with a lot of pavement time)

I'm just not impressed with Irok's on the trail. I've seen them do well, but they are doing well on 36's where other guys on 33's go, and on 42's where other guys on 37's and 40's go ;) Granted, I'm more in the 35/36 camp, someone like Goatman might give you a better "large tire" opinion, but I'm speaking of what I've seen.

voted for the bias ply.
36's will be all you want to push the 44's to, and with the bead locks, you'll be letting the tires leak down. The radials will slip a side belt at low airpressure causing an egg. I had 4 trxus radials slip a belt at 8 psi and below.
my 38 TSL S/X's with rock a thons. 4psi.
38DaffyXJ.jpg

go bias or go home

rich_1833 said:
Ive read good things about the Pro Comp extreme's I have a set of 31" on mine and its a DD. I think these handle very well on the road and on the trails. I haven't had them on rock yet. I think these are a great all around tire.
Only one person says anything about these? It"d be nice if this poll was expanded and was more along the lines of "what do you run and are ya happy with them?"

(I would but my skills in such matters are nearly non-existant.)

Actually the poll was made b/c the 3 tires listed are the ones im looking at... I also know a guy running the procomp extremes and he hates them..

I believe im going w/ the Irok Radials...

Back