• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac???

I've been running these for maybe two months now. They clean mud right out. Haven't notice significant tread wear either and I drive alot too. 31's here too. Price matched off discounttire.com for $141 a tire.

tires.jpg

And those are my old tires in the background General Grabber AT2's. The GY's are so much more aggresive and have about the same road noise. I was happy with both purchases

Tires have survied a quick run in some cambrian shield rock. Much better than BFG A/T. My first tires on the XJ with somewhat of a sidewall, I don't have tons of wheeling experience but they do help if your aired down.
I am going for good trail run on the 11th and will toss up some pics.

For the people running the Dura-Tracs, does the sidewall have the "mountain and snowflake" designation?
FWIW I'm running the new MT/R's with Kevlar and they are frickin' sweet. But come winter the ol' BFG AT's are going back on to deal with the black ice. -B

For the people running the Dura-Tracs, does the sidewall have the "mountain and snowflake" designation?
FWIW I'm running the new MT/R's with Kevlar and they are frickin' sweet. But come winter the ol' BFG AT's are going back on to deal with the black ice. -B
Yup. Sure do.

I'm trying to figure whether to get these or the silent armors. Since these came out it's been an even more difficult choice for me.

Anybody have any serious miles on a set of these yet?
I drive over 20k/yr on the road and am afraid they won't last.
Approaching 50k on the current BFG AT's, but will need new tires for wheeling this summer.

I can tell you that the Marine Corps uses these on the new "Jeep" replacement. It's meant for climbing around in the mountains of Afghanistan where HMMWVs are too big. We have some on the pickup at work as well. They only have a few thousand so far though. Overall, we're happy with em.

I talked to a guy in the advance auto parking lot he had 35k on them and they still had about half tread left, he did alot of highway and dirt road driving according to him. He said he drove about 5k a month on them. I am currently running them on my jeep and have about 5k on them after 6 months, they are wearing extremely well. I have never had a tire do better in the snow either, have not had a chance to test them on the trail yet as its snowy as hell here. I expect good things on the trail though.

Thanks guys. I've read nothing but good comments about their performance. good to know they work well in winter too. One winter of driving on BFG MTs was enough for me.
They look to be a few bucks cheaper than BFGs as well.

I almost bought these. In a 31x10.50 I could have had them for an out the door price of about $170 each (mounted and balanced). I ended up ordering the Goodyear Authority ($135 a tire mounted and balanced). I'm not heavy into wheeling since I sold my K5 so I think the Authority will do great for an all purpose tire.

Im just going to throw this out there: I bought a set of 235/75/15s right when they came out. (actually had to wait a week to get em) After only about 15-20,000 miles the fronts have wore in a completely weird way ive never seen before. I will have to get some pics to explain it but some of the "knobs" have corners that stick up a true 1/8-1/4 of an inch higher than the rest of the tread! And are gettin extremely loud. The rears are wearing perfect however, and I havent rotated because I dont wont to mess them up.(<---whatever is happening to the fronts.)

I almost bought these. In a 31x10.50 I could have had them for an out the door price of about $170 each (mounted and balanced). I ended up ordering the Goodyear Authority ($135 a tire mounted and balanced). I'm not heavy into wheeling since I sold my K5 so I think the Authority will do great for an all purpose tire.

Anyone know the diff? Kinda looks like the authority is the wallyworld version.

Anyone know the diff? Kinda looks like the authority is the wallyworld version.

I think the Authority is just a walmart special tire but they look good to tell you the truth and I hate good/year tires. Those may go on my Beater this spring or another set of treadwrights.

Im just going to throw this out there: I bought a set of 235/75/15s right when they came out. (actually had to wait a week to get em) After only about 15-20,000 miles the fronts have wore in a completely weird way ive never seen before. I will have to get some pics to explain it but some of the "knobs" have corners that stick up a true 1/8-1/4 of an inch higher than the rest of the tread! And are gettin extremely loud. The rears are wearing perfect however, and I havent rotated because I dont wont to mess them up.(<---whatever is happening to the fronts.)

You answered your own question right here. Rotation every 3k to 5k miles is essential for even wear and maximum tread life.

From what you describe it sounds like 'cupping' and that is almost always worn suspension parts. Bad shocks, maybe tie rod ends, really shot bushings or a combination.

You answered your own question right here. Rotation every 3k to 5k miles is essential for even wear and maximum tread life.

Not really. Yeah, you'll get a little more life, but tires should wear correctly on each corner without rotation. Some automakers don't recommend rotating tires on performance/luxury cars because you get better handling without rotation and you only gain a little life when you rotate.

From what you describe it sounds like 'cupping' and that is almost always worn suspension parts. Bad shocks, maybe tie rod ends, really shot bushings or a combination.

Won't disagree there. Sounds like something's wrong.

Not really. Yeah, you'll get a little more life, but tires should wear correctly on each corner without rotation. Some automakers don't recommend rotating tires on performance/luxury cars because you get better handling without rotation and you only gain a little life when you rotate.

Other than cars like the Corvette that run 4 different tires Ive never heard that,do you have any documentation?

Ive had my Duratrac's for about a year now and love them!

Other than cars like the Corvette that run 4 different tires Ive never heard that,do you have any documentation?

Ive had my Duratrac's for about a year now and love them!

I think BMW recommends against it in general.

I'm not saying you shouldn't rotate, just that it isn't that big of a deal. It's not as important ask keeping enough air in the tires. I rotate when I remember/feel like it. Which reminds me, I changed oil yesterday, I should go ahead an rotate.

Back